Where are the Blue Devils?

Personally I think it goes to show that they put the good of their corps before the good of the activity. Is that a good or bad thing?? I don't know for sure. But I believe now is a time all the corps need to work together to make sure this activity will be around forever.

• Like 3

Well, the closest "major league" to DCI is probably NASCAR, at least as far as the traveling circus analog is concerned. Did you know NASCAR has no minimum number of races requirement? Teams can race in as many events as they can qualify for, and some of the teams with restricted finances choose to take races off.

Yes, but there are indeed NEGATIVE consequences for not participating. NASCAR teams are rewarded with POINTS for participation towards the championship. If you do not participate in a race you get NO POINTS at the same time your competitors ARE amassing points.

You won't find any teams in "the Chase" (finals) that took a race or two off.

Edited by oldbandguy

i don't think the point is only how many they skipped so far, but also how many less over the course of the entire season they are performing in than the other big name corps. Plus, they did not perform in Albuquerque or Mesa, prior to Stanford, like Regiment and Vanguard did, so that's 4 possible shows missed, and tonight will make 5, and it's still June. Regiment took the time to make the big trip out west, and they had 34 shows on their schedule. It seems less supportive of the activity as a whole for the most decorated corps in drum corps history to only schedule 23 shows. If it's strategic,and successful,it might very well become the model to follow, and that could hurt the activity.

• Like 4

Personally I think it goes to show that they put the good of their corps before the good of the activity. Is that a good or bad thing?? I don't know for sure. But I believe now is a time all the corps need to work together to make sure this activity will be around forever.

Heck yes it's a good thing. The good of your corps, especially fiscally, is your top priority. The road to competitive success is littered with the corpses of corps and corps directors that refused to learn this lesson.

Fun fact: The Reading Buccaneers, the DCA corps with the biggest fan base (currently) and most competitive success over the last eight or so years competes in fewer shows than any other DCA Open Class corps in the Northeast. Why? Quality over quantity, and they don't spend a dime more than they need to. Oh, and folks complain every year too. Big surprise.

• Like 2

And doing that, you just gave an advantage to the midwestern corps, because there are more shows there than on the east or west coasts. What it probably comes down to for BD is travel cost. With the economy the way it is, though improving, it costs a lot to move a corps.

Cadets have always done a lot of shows, and rely on appearance fees for extra income. One could argue that they have a competitive advantage over everyone else because the judges see them more.

I guess it all depends on how you spin it, and people will complain about anything.

ok wait...so while we here have threads comp0laining about corps outspending themselves, and how do we get new fans....and we have BD going down and doing clinics ( aka making money) and educating kids ( and possibly gaining new fans).....and this is bad?

I am wondering if this summer has already seen DCP hit new lows of stupidity. I swear I have yet to see so much self made drama on here in the 10 years I've een here.

• Like 8

And doing that, you just gave an advantage to the midwestern corps, because there are more shows there than on the east or west coasts. What it probably comes down to for BD is travel cost. With the economy the way it is, though improving, it costs a lot to move a corps.

Cadets have always done a lot of shows, and rely on appearance fees for extra income. One could argue that they have a competitive advantage over everyone else because the judges see them more.

I guess it all depends on how you spin it, and people will complain about anything.

Do you know how many of the past several years Regiment has come west - and they are the corps that drum corps fans have historically talked about having shaky finances. They were out west in 2003, 2004, 2006, everyone ended up there in 2007, 2008 and 2011. And, if Cadets get an edge by being judged more often, at least I would say they did something to earn it.

Don't mean to be down on the Blue Devils, they are not the only ones that do this, but they are the only really successful corps that does. It's not like they are breaking any rules, just doesn't seem supportive of the activity.

Heck yes it's a good thing. The good of your corps, especially fiscally, is your top priority. The road to competitive success is littered with the corpses of corps and corps directors that refused to learn this lesson.

Fun fact: The Reading Buccaneers, the DCA corps with the biggest fan base (currently) and most competitive success over the last eight or so years competes in fewer shows than any other DCA Open Class corps in the Northeast. Why? Quality over quantity, and they don't spend a dime more than they need to. Oh, and folks complain every year too. Big surprise.

no disresoect to Bucs, but I think Empire and Cabs can pretty much claim a fan base as high or higher

• Like 1

no disresoect to Bucs, but I think Empire and Cabs can pretty much claim a fan base as high or higher

Historically, I agree. But if you attend as many shows as I have over the last couple of years, the number of Bucs fans at shows traditionally dominated by the fans of other corps is pretty astounding. Especially in what are supposed to be hotbeds for Cabs like Wildwood and Clifton.

It was actually a major topic in the stands in Wildwood the last two years.

Also, I'm not saying the long-term survivability of the activity isn't important, it certainly is. But I don't think it's unreasonable to put the long-term financial well being of the individual corps ahead of it. After all, no corps, no activity.

I'd love to see the corps get together and come up with a real long-term plan for the future of DCI. Like 15-20 years. Of course, the last time DCI did anything that solidified anything long term people whined and moaned like they'd taken and arrow to the knee (Indianapolis).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Also, I'm not saying the long-term survivability of the activity isn't important, it certainly is. But I don't think it's unreasonable to put the long-term financial well being of the individual corps ahead of it. After all, no corps, no activity.

I'd love to see the corps get together and come up with a real long-term plan for the future of DCI. Like 15-20 years. Of course, the last time DCI did anything that solidified anything long term people whined and moaned like they'd taken and arrow to the knee (Indianapolis).

because Indy has serious flaws from several angles...travel, sound etc.

However, the problem is this...you have to get 23 people in a room to agree on something. Far too many egos in that room