Michigan City Mingle

Guard scores just seemed low in general at this contest.

Time for fun facts! Tonight Marie C scored Bloo's guard 4th at a 13. They scored a pretty decent 2nd in visual GE AND Analysis. You think a bad colorguard would have reflected there.

Fun history facts!:

-In the 2008 quarterfinals, semis, and finals Bloos colorguard placed 6th, 12th, and 6th (respectively). Guess who scored them 12th!

- Marie C, at a year before that, was denied a request to be Bloo's colorguard caption head. Interesting facts!

• Like 2

After the "Rewards Ceremony", bratwurst and dogs were just a dollar at concessions.

Awr6rLuCEAETNDk.jpg

My first post on these forums... and I just had to say something about this picture, Kevin! I am a band director for a rural band in northern IN, and every year I take students to the Michigan City Pageant of Drums. This year, for the first time, our school hosted a corps for the day. It was a fantastic day for my students. All day during their rehearsal we had cars from all over town come over to see what was going on at the school. Many of my students watched them rehearse for the entire day before coming to this show that night. The drum corps themselves were incredible polite and friendly with both myself and my students. I could not have been more impressed with their professionalism.

What does all this have to do with your picture? Well the drum corps was Crown... and three of my students are in the foreground of your picture :).

• Like 7

Come on Crown!! SPACING!!!!

It was the end of June and they had holes. Intervals get thrown off all around when someone doesn't have another person next to them to whom they are used to guiding from. That's even a concern with the dot system.

Crown was absolutely amazing last night. For being only End of June, that is impressive. I just can't wait till they all meet up in Minneapolis. Then we will have a better picture where everyone is gonna line up. Go Crown!

• Like 1

Time for fun facts! Tonight Marie C scored Bloo's guard 4th at a 13. They scored a pretty decent 2nd in visual GE AND Analysis. You think a bad colorguard would have reflected there.

Fun history facts!:

-In the 2008 quarterfinals, semis, and finals Bloos colorguard placed 6th, 12th, and 6th (respectively). Guess who scored them 12th!

- Marie C, at a year before that, was denied a request to be Bloo's colorguard caption head. Interesting facts!

You are right. Marie is on a personal vendetta to destroy the Bluecoats. I am sure after critique she high fives the other visual judges and loudly proclaims "SUCK IT BLUECOATS". People do understand that judging is subjective, and all scores are going to fluctuate from night to night. If there is no fluctuation in scores then people complain about slotting. The only thing that is certain is that someone is not going to like a number every night.

Z

• Like 1

Fun history facts!:

And that's why those captions you mentioned are separate. If one was supposed to bleed into the other, there would be absolutely no reason to make them separate and distinct.

But since you're so interested in facts, let's look at some. In Visual Analysis, Bluecoats were 2nd as you said. They were 0.7 down from Carolina Crown, 0.40 above Spirit of Atlanta and 0.60 above Cavaliers, putting them closer to 4th than 2nd. In Visual Effect, they were 2nd to Crown, 0.8 down. They were 0.50 above Spirit and 0.60 above Cavaliers, again closer to either of those corps than Crown. In Color Guard, they were 1.20 down from Crown, only 0.20 down to Cavaliers and 0.70 down from Blue Stars. Marie had them 1.2 out of 1st place while the ones that had Bluecoats in 2nd in the other Visual captions had the 0.80 and 0.70 down. Provided she thought the guard had an off night or whatever, does that sound like she's really dumping them?

I have total faith in her having the guard higher when she honestly believes they should be there. And when that happens, someone else from a corps that is currently higher on her sheets will come here to complain that Marie hates their corps and is trying to destroy them.

I wish more people knew her. They would realize how seriously she takes getting things right as she perceives the situation. Marie cannot be bought, unduly influenced or persuaded to go against what she sees with her two eyes.

Rather than rake her over the coals, it might be more constructive to find out what happened during the shows you mentioned that caused her to give the scores she presented. Just throwing out to the public one contest from an entire season, without any supporting spreads, is unfair to Marie and especially to the corps. Did you ask the staff if they observed a weak performance? And if you had done so, did you sense they were being objective.

Judging is tough. No one lasts in this activity as long as Marie has without being equally tough.

• Like 5