July Prediction Thread

Well, to be honest and realistic, Scouts were scoring very well at this point last year, and we all see what happened there. It's a cool show, yes, but maybe a little early to be saying they're a lock for the Top 5. They do have more demand than last year, but I honestly don't think it's quite enough to compete with the Top 5, and some of their arrangements are a bit choppy the way they jump between pieces. Just my thoughts.

You're right. And of course NOBODY ever makes the top 5 or wins doing that! Maybe I'll have to rethink my 3rd place prediction. I'll go with 6th.

................................Oh wait! There is one difference, isn't there. Madison actually plays each piece for longer than 5 seconds and generally completes each musical thought. Hmmmmm.... Never mind. I'm sticking with 3rd.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 3

1. Carolina Crown- By far the best show GE wise and musically. The visual will be there by August, though its actually really clean right now, just not August material. Of course, there is still much to improve musically, like the part right before Dreams 3 with that sound effect and whistles. They should just kind of insert some Dreams 2 in there. :) Also, definetly a Jim Ott in their future! :D

2. Blue Devils- Though strong, I do believe as others said that the lack of overall demand will cause them to lose by a couple of tenths. And I see no GE in this show whatsoever. The concept really hasn't clicked at all to me. I would have Cadets over them, but its a toss up between the two.

3. Cadets- Now this is a show! when I heard that first big fat chord, I thought, this will be a contender come August. They have GE, Music, and Visual on their side. Brass is definetly below Crown, but excellent none the less. I have a felling this show will get the high percussion honors as well. Overall, I think the top three will all have an equal chance at the gold :)

4. Phantom Regiment- Very strong brass, guard and percussion. Just not a Championship winning show for me. Don't get me wrong, this is my second favorite show, but execution wise its behind the top 3 corps. Also a contender for percussion awards.

5. Bluecoats- These guys have brought it! Trumping all the corps besides the top 4, they are quickly raising through the ranks to place in the top 6. Everything here is excellent, brass on par with Phantom, percussion being within the skill level of Phantoms, but not quiet there yet.

6. Santa Clara Vanguard- First SCV sho I've liked in a while! Their brass is very good, while guard I haven't seen. Their percussion is probably going to be the reason they dwell so high though.

7. Boston Crusaders- Its going to be really close between Boston and SCV. I can see their positions reversing, because SCV has a lot of surprising dirt while Boston is improving very quickly in every caption. Very good brass! Percussion has a little work, and the guard is pretty good!

8. Madison Scouts- This is Madisons year! They could really mix things up, but I feel they will place over Cavies in the end. Brass is great, Visually strong, and GE is very convincing!

9. Cavaliers- Sorry guys, I really hope you soar back into the top 4 this year, but theme wise I just don't see it. I actually liked alot of this show, Its very Cavies like, just tweak some moments, add some trumpet screamers instead of those riduculous sound effects and you guys will be set!

10. Spirit of Atlanta- Spirits back and hoefully back to stay! I think them aand Cavies will be fighting it out all year! Excellent in all captions but need to clean visually a little more than everything else.

11. Crossmen- a great year for them! Its their time to get back into finals! Brass and percussion are great, but visually they need to clean up.

12. Blue Stars- Great show concept, ddon't see it going very far though.

• Like 2

Well, to be honest and realistic, Scouts were scoring very well at this point last year, and we all see what happened there.

Not THIS well. They wern't beating Cavies. They didn't beat the Bluecoats in 3 different captions within the first two weeks of the season. I'm not saying this will end in the top 5 or 6 but I think it's safe to say this is a true improvement from last year. Especially in terms of design. Especially in terms of visual design. Anyone who fails to notice that has their head stuck in 2011 and is not looking at the current year and changes in the Scouts package for what it really is.

You should keep in mind that their demand the last few years has been far inferior to what they are doing this year. Far more room for growth this season compared to this time in 2010 and 2011.

I will keep that in mind. I haven't seen their show yet personally it's just my opinion based on past experience. I stand by what I said

• Like 3

I will keep that in mind. I haven't seen their show yet personally it's just my opinion based on past experience. I stand by what I said

That's pretty foolish. You are going to "stand by what you said" based only on "past experience"; even though they have a brand new visual and percussion staff from Carolina Crown who have overhauled their two weekest captions from 2011? AND...even though you admittedly have not yet seen the show?

Credibility = 0

Suggestion: Why don't you lose your opinion and not form one until you have actually seen the 2012 Madison Scouts show?! That would make more logical sense than forming a blind opinion based on the past which has ZERO relevance to the present. And trust me, if you had seen the show, you would know that they are on a whole new level this year.

Why don't you start by watching this (and reading up on a few recaps)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKMAFkBuuM

"Past experience". You've got to be kidding me.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2

You're right. And of course NOBODY ever makes the top 5 or wins doing that! Maybe I'll have to rethink my 3rd place prediction. I'll go with 6th.

................................Oh wait! There is one difference, isn't there. Madison actually plays each piece for longer than 5 seconds and generally completes each musical thought. Hmmmmm.... Never mind. I'm sticking with 3rd.

I was just offering an honest opinion about their show, no need to be a jerk about it. I like the Scouts show this year, it's much better than it has been the last couple of years, but I don't quite think it's perfect. They will do better than last year, no one is denying that, but I think Top 5 might be a bit lofty.

• Like 3

Not THIS well. They wern't beating Cavies. They didn't beat the Bluecoats in 3 different captions within the first two weeks of the season. I'm not saying this will end in the top 5 or 6 but I think it's safe to say this is a true improvement from last year. Especially in terms of design. Especially in terms of visual design. Anyone who fails to notice that has their head stuck in 2011 and is not looking at the current year and changes in the Scouts package for what it really is.

I do agree their show is better this year. I never said it wasn't. I do think their visual design is a big step up for them. Difficult enough to contend with the Top 5? I don't personally think so, but that's just my opinion. Yes, they're beating the Cavaliers, but at this point last year, Cavaliers were coasting at the top, not struggling down in the 8-10 range. Trying to compare that is having your head stuck in 2011. And when they beat Bloo in brass, it was well reported that it was a fluke, we'll see what happens on the 14th.

In conclusion, yes, Scouts have a great show this year, they will improve over last year. Yes, they have a chance to make the top 5. Is it a sure thing? No, but nothing is. I think the Top 8 will be very strong this year, no doubt about that. But people need to realize that in order to win, or medal, you need to have a very, very strong vehicle that can top many established power-house corps. I'd give Madison a couple of more years before they start contending for a medal again. But some fans don't like hearing that their corps isn't perfect in every way every year. Sorry. Just being honest, which I thought was the point of this website.

• Like 3

I was just offering an honest opinion about their show, no need to be a jerk about it. I like the Scouts show this year, it's much better than it has been the last couple of years, but I don't quite think it's perfect. They will do better than last year, no one is denying that, but I think Top 5 might be a bit lofty.

When did I say anything about them making the top 5?

Oh, yeah.....my "3rd place" prediction. Yeah...that. LOL! We all (I included) need to lighten up a bit. We take this stuff too seriously.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

That's pretty foolish. You are going to "stand by what you said" based only on "past experience"; even though they have a brand new visual and percussion staff from Carolina Crown who have overhauled their two weekest captions from 2011? AND...even though you admittedly have not yet seen the show?

Credibility = 0

Suggestion: Why don't you lose your opinion and not form one until you have actually seen the 2012 Madison Scouts show?! That would make more logical sense than forming a blind opinion based on the past which has ZERO relevance to the present. And trust me, if you had seen the show, you would know that they are on a whole new level this year.

Why don't you start by watching this (and reading up on a few recaps)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKMAFkBuuM

"Past experience". You've got to be kidding me.

Wow, I can FEEL the rage pouring right out of your post... You must have missed all the pre-season predicitions because you would fume at those.

He at least admitted that the post was pure speculation without having seen the show. Isnt this whole thread about pure speculation or do you have some leaked finals scores you care to share...?

Wow, I can FEEL the rage pouring right out of your post... You must have missed all the pre-season predicitions because you would fume at those.

He at least admitted that the post was pure speculation without having seen the show. Isnt this whole thread about pure speculation or do you have some leaked finals scores you care to share...?

I guess it's silly (even in this thread) to expect people to try and make a, at the very least, somewhat informed opinion....certainly more than "my past experience." lol

• Like 2