Can you lose your World Class Status?

Is it possible for a corps to lose its World Class status? The Cascades are obviously struggling this year, with a very small corps, and haven’t recovered from there inactivity a couple of years ago. They have even taken a step backwards from last year. If performance level and size are meaningless to your corps status as a World Class corps than the status is meaningless. Does a World Class corps get higher performance fees? If World Class corps get higher performance fees and are not delivering a world class performance, why should they get more? It is also must be discouraging for corps members to have their corps come in last every show with no one to compete with in their class. If they were in the class they deserve, they would be able to compare themselves to others in the relatively same level. Is it fair to have a corps that is only World Class by name to perform after an Open Class corps that is twice the size and performing at a much higher level? I know that a corps can struggle from time to time, but if they are truly World Class, they will still perform at that level. Are they World Class for life, or is there a standard for them to maintain?

Edited by argonaut
  • Like 2

Is it possible for a corps to lose its World Class status? The Cascades are obviously struggling this year, with a very small corps, and haven’t recovered from there inactivity a couple of years ago. They have even taken a step backwards from last year. If performance level and size are meaningless to your corps status as a World Class corps than the status is meaningless. Does a World Class corps get higher performance fees? If World Class corps get higher performance fees and are not delivering a world class performance, why should they get more? It is also must be discouraging for corps members to have their corps come in last every show with no one to compete with in their class. If they were in the class they deserve, they would be able to compare themselves to others in the relatively same level. Is it fair to have a corps that is only World Class by name to perform after an Open Class corps that is twice the size and performing at a much higher level? I know that a corps can struggle from time to time, but if they are truly World Class, they will still perform at that level. Are they World Class for life, or is there a standard for them to maintain?

I don't know the answer to your question, but it sounds like you were at the show in Renton last night, and I had the same thoughts after watching Oregon Crusaders and the Cascades perform. The Crusaders performance level is comparable to World Class corps (I don't know their situation in regard to other elements of qualifying for World Class) and Cascades look like they more realistically fit in Open Class, at least in terms of performance.

• Like 2

I don't know the answer to your question, but it sounds like you were at the show in Renton last night, and I had the same thoughts after watching Oregon Crusaders and the Cascades perform. The Crusaders performance level is comparable to World Class corps (I don't know their situation in regard to other elements of qualifying for World Class) and Cascades look like they more realistically fit in Open Class, at least in terms of performance.

No, I was at the Hillsboro show. They performed after the Spokane Thunder, which also performed, in my opinion, at a higher level. I'm not trying to make this thread about the Cascades, just using them as an example.

No, I was at the Hillsboro show. They performed after the Spokane Thunder, which also performed, in my opinion, at a higher level. I'm not trying to make this thread about the Cascades, just using them as an example.

Thunder would likely have beat Cascades if they were on World Class sheets. Oregon Crusaders would likely have 10-pointed them - there simply was no comparison between the Oregon and Seattle shows.

It is my understanding that World Class pays performance fees and Open Class does not. The WC fees are determined by placement, so I'm not sure whether groups at the Cascades' level actually get any.

• World Class (formerly Division I) corps are the corps that have chosen to compete at the highest level and that have shown the DCI leadership that they have the ability to survive at this level both competitively and financially. The leadership of the "Top Twelve" World Class corps are given voting rights on the DCI Board of Directors. The higher a corps is ranked at the DCI Championships, the higher the performance fees they will earn for the following season's performances.

• Open Class (formerly Divisions II & III) corps are generally smaller or committed to a lesser competitive level. In September of 2007, DCI combined the former Divisions II and III into this new division.[3][4]

I wonder for how much longer, though?

• World Class (formerly Division I) corps are the corps that have chosen to compete at the highest level and that have shown the DCI leadership that they have the ability to survive at this level both competitively and financially. The leadership of the "Top Twelve" World Class corps are given voting rights on the DCI Board of Directors. The higher a corps is ranked at the DCI Championships, the higher the performance fees they will earn for the following season's performances.

• Open Class (formerly Divisions II & III) corps are generally smaller or committed to a lesser competitive level. In September of 2007, DCI combined the former Divisions II and III into this new division.[3][4]

So--and correct me if I'm wrong--although Cascades are receiving a lower performance fee than other WC corps because of their low placement at the end of last year, they are still receiving some sort of payment, while the OC corps like Oregon, BDB, and SCVC who topped them head-to-head last year are not.

The simple truth is that if you're paying for the Cascades to appear at show, you're paying for a corps that might not be a top 6 corps in Open Class. It's not just about scores, I mean, someone has to finish last, but I believe Cascades has about 75 members, with a horn line around 35 and 9 guard.

Have the board of directors every voted on the status of any corps yet? It seems like leaving it up to them, without a clear criteria, is no more than a good old boys club. There should be a fair set of rules that don't make it a popularity contest amongst directors.