Can you lose your World Class Status?

Have the board of directors every voted on the status of any corps yet? It seems like leaving it up to them, without a clear criteria, is no more than a good old boys club. There should be a fair set of rules that don't make it a popularity contest amongst directors.

I honestly believe that every World Class corps, from the Blue Devils to Pioneer, should go through the World Class evaluation process that new WC corps go through. Every corps in WC should be evaluated every 4-5 years or so, without exception. Any corps that can't meet the criteria that Surf and Teal Sound went through should be relegated to Open Class until they can pass the evaluation, and that includes opening the financial books to the evaluation team.

• Like 9

Maybe they just do away with the whole class system and have everyone on the same level. When you see a corps that clearly is not on the same level as the other corps and called World Class, then it is a meaningless distinction.

• Like 2

Maybe they just do away with the whole class system and have everyone on the same level. When you see a corps that clearly is not on the same level as the other corps and called World Class, then it is a meaningless distinction.

I think we need another restructure of the corps. We need different divisions that make sense for corps to compete and be successful in. Top 12 works, it’s the 13-20??? that needs a new class and a goal of Gold and not just a participation patch. Open class can stay as it is, which BDB and SCVC for example can either stay as Open or move up to the new class 13-20. If not, they will always dominate Open, which isn’t bad,

What will happen if have a world class corps that would not even make top 12 in open class? Last year Jersey Surf and The Cascades would have place 5 and 6th or lower, going by the semifinals scores.

Edited by argonaut

You have to remember, though, that the class distinction is primarily based on administration, fiscal responsibility, the ability to tour nationally, and the experience the kids get. Competitive success is very much a secondary consideration. Some folks might not like this, but that's how it is.

• Like 4

I honestly believe that every World Class corps, from the Blue Devils to Pioneer, should go through the World Class evaluation process that new WC corps go through. Every corps in WC should be evaluated every 4-5 years or so, without exception. Any corps that can't meet the criteria that Surf and Teal Sound went through should be relegated to Open Class until they can pass the evaluation, and that includes opening the financial books to the evaluation team.

I also believe this is an excellent idea, and would strengthen World Class. The problem is that some existing members are probably not as soundly managed as Surf and Teal Sound.

I also believe this is an excellent idea, and would strengthen World Class. The problem is that some existing members are probably not as soundly managed as Surf and Teal Sound.

I do believe that some long-established big names would struggle to pass the evaluation if held to the same requirements. And boy would those names shock some folks. I also believe it will be a cold day in h*ll when you get the books opened on many WC corps.

• Like 1

I say open the books or lose status. Better yet, go to a salary cap type system and spread the wealth among the other corps. So that they can have similar staffs, traveling accommodations, etc. Try to level the playing(Marching) field kind of like what NASCAR does with rules and specs based on the physical car, and let it be determined by the driver or in this case the actual performer. It just seems to me that with how many staff members jump from corps to corps, that it is about George Washington beeing your best friend. I for one can understand why with today's economic problems, but if a cap was put into place it would not only put less emphasis on individuals wanting to march with say a top eight corps(TOC) with a shot at a title, and staying local to a corps that has a down stream of money from the cap.

I say open the books or lose status. Better yet, go to a salary cap type system and spread the wealth among the other corps. So that they can have similar staffs, traveling accommodations, etc. Try to level the playing(Marching) field kind of like what NASCAR does with rules and specs based on the physical car, and let it be determined by the driver or in this case the actual performer. It just seems to me that with how many staff members jump from corps to corps, that it is about George Washington beeing your best friend. I for one can understand why with today's economic problems, but if a cap was put into place it would not only put less emphasis on individuals wanting to march with say a top eight corps(TOC) with a shot at a title, and staying local to a corps that has a down stream of money from the cap.

You want to destroy the activity instantly? Do any of what you just proposed. DCI would be dead inside a year. At best, the major players would leave and form G7 2.0.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Financial health and performance level are completely two different things. You can perform poorly on the field, but have a great financial plan. You can also perform great and be on the brink of bankruptcy. When the corps takes the field for competition, they are not competing on financial stability. One could argue that your show will suffer if you don’t have the means to finance your corps, but your finances are not on the judging books. If a world class corps only has 56 member s on the field, with an average age of 13, how can they compete with a corps that has 135 on the field with an average age of 19, regardless of their financial status? Wouldn’t it be a better experience for everyone if they competed with corps close to their level? What motivates you to improve, if no matter how hard you work or improve, you will be dead last at every show? I really think that there should be something to drive the financial health of drum corps, but it should be separate from your performance class.