The challenges of music licensing, and...

Thanks for the update, Mike - that did clarify what has been just speculation up until now.

Just to play devil's advocate (and not to flame anyone or anything like that - just in the spirit of conversation/debate), Madison knew in May (presumably before move-in) that they were definitely not going to get the sync rights to ESOM, yet they made a conscious decision to use it anyway, favoring the live show over the DVDs/Fan Network recordings.

Again, just to play devil's advocate, isn't that sort of a selfish decision on the corps/design team's part? Instead of having a backup plan at the first sign of trouble acquiring the sync rights that would have allowed them to favor the live show and the DVD/Fan Network crowd equally (which happens the vast majority, if not all of the time), they forged ahead knowing that the closer wasn't going to make the recordings. Isn't that in a sense Madison saying that they didn't care about anyone buying the DVDs/Fan Network subscriptions, only those who were fortunate enough to see them perform live? That they had the perfect closer and they weren't going to change it no matter what?

Again, not trying to cause any trouble here - only trying to discuss...

Exactly what I was thinking. The true blame in the end really does fall on Madison's staff to go ahead with ESOM even when they KNEW they wouldn't get the rights. Myself? I didn't think it was the amazing piece that everyone else seemed to think it was, so I didn't really care one way or another. It's just funny to find people coming in here and defending the organization when in the end it was their decision. LET'S SEE THOSE REDS!!! :tongue:

• Like 3

I suspect you're joking with this, but you do raise a valuable point.

In the recent past, some DCP members, in an effort to affect good and also due to the passion that lovingly exists in our community, have instigated letters, e-mails and other assorted PR campaigns to shame certain entities for decisions those enterprises made that were perceived to have negatively affected individual corps and the activity.

Doing so to State Farm might kill any chance Scouts have to reverse the initial decision. With our luck, such input might just make it to the "right" person for the first time, perhaps influencing their decision to not grant the ability to present the entire show on DVD or Fan Network.

That might not be as effective as suggesting State Farm consider utilizing a drum corps in their next video, as they utilized OK Go in that remarkable "This Too Shall Pass" video. They paid for the whole thing and instead of plastering their name over everything, decided that the only time the State Farm logo would be seen would be on the toy truck that was used to set off the chain reaction. State Farm is a good company. I hope we don't turn them off on drum corps before they even find out about it. (I doubt they even know what happened regarding "ESOM" because all interaction had to go through the company that granted them the exclusive on the piece.)

I read that as a joke too. As a longtime policy holder with State Farm I would not leave them. Now, mildly sarcastic, I wonder what would have happened if Madison had their insurance with State Farm and agreed to using their logo? Just sayin.

Exactly what I was thinking. The true blame in the end really does fall on Madison's staff to go ahead with ESOM even when they KNEW they wouldn't get the rights. Myself? I didn't think it was the amazing piece that everyone else seemed to think it was, so I didn't really care one way or another. It's just funny to find people coming in here and defending the organization when in the end it was their decision. LET'S SEE THOSE REDS!!! :tongue:

They chose to go ahead with the complete show as written. They chose to favor the live, in-stadium product over the recorded one. If you know anything about Madison's philosophy, this should come as no surprise. Kudos to the staff for sticking to their guns and putting on one of the most memorable shows of the year, and for developing an iconic, Madison-style closer.

Also, thanks to the Madison staff for continuing to work on getting the sync rights for future DVD realeases

Edited for clarificatiion.

Edited by Roark1
  • Like 3

Also, thanks to the Madison staff for continuing to work on getting the sync rights for future DVD realeases.

This, IMO, is the most important thing to take away from Boo's article. Madison is still striving to keep that door open with the hopes that at some point Scouts' complete 2011 show will be available some day! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Around the same time I received my DVD’s last year, received a speeding ticket. I also received a ticket for not having proof of insurance. I have insurance, but forgot to put the card in my car. The insurance company is State Farm. Yes, STATE FARM. I didn’t put two and two together, until now. It appears that State Farm insurance is trying to systematically destroy the quality of life for those whom enjoy drum corps. They eventually dropped the infraction, when I produced my card, but that’s beside the point. They somehow through unknown means, prevented me from remembering to put the card in my car. Now that I completely understand the situation, I will have to rethink my allegiance to this company trying kill my drum corps mojo.

Around the same time I received my DVD’s last year, received a speeding ticket. I also received a ticket for not having proof of insurance. I have insurance, but forgot to put the card in my car. The insurance company is State Farm. Yes, STATE FARM. I didn’t put two and two together, until now. It appears that State Farm insurance is trying to systematically destroy the quality of life for those whom enjoy drum corps. They eventually dropped the infraction, when I produced my card, but that’s beside the point. They somehow through unknown means, prevented me from remembering to put the card in my car. Now that I completely understand the situation, I will have to rethink my allegiance to this company trying kill my drum corps mojo.

Now if you had mentioned Colts in the same sentence, you'd have people banging down your door.

This, IMO, is the most important thing to take away from Boo's article. Madison is still striving to keep that door open with the hopes that at some point Scouts' complete 2011 show will be available some day! :thumbup:

I agree. They aren't complacent about keeping the status quo on this issue if there is a chance of rectifying it, even if it's several months after the season ended.

While we are praising Madison for still pursuing the sync rights to ESOM to be able to not have their closer blacked out on any future video recording releases, let's not forget that they put themselves in this position in the first place. Had they picked a different closer that didn't have these same issues (or had a backup plan at the first sign of trouble securing the rights), we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Instead, in May they got a definite "no" and forged ahead anyway.

Again, not trying to cause trouble - just trying to discuss. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

While we are praising Madison for still pursuing the sync rights to ESOM to be able to not have their closer blacked out on any future video recording releases, let's not forget that they put themselves in this position in the first place. Had they picked a different closer that didn't have these same issues (or had a backup plan at the first sign of trouble securing the rights), we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Instead, in May they got a definite "no" and forged ahead anyway.

Again, not trying to cause trouble - just trying to discuss. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

I can imagine the following conversation:

"We possibly may not succeed in securing permission for 'Empire State of Mind' to be on the DCI DVDs."

"But it's also possible we might?"

"Yes."

"Okay, let's get rid of it then. Being on the DVDs is much more important than how the piece can help us in our competitive efforts."

"I agree. It's gone. We can bring back the closer from our 'Relámpago' show."

• Like 2

Not trying to cause trouble either, but to me it seems like you're trying to start a little bit of trouble. Multiple people have states that they appreciate that Madison stuck to their original show plan, hoping that they would be able to secure the rights further in the season. ESOM became one of the best moments of the season for a lot of people, so how can you blame them for sticking with a song that so many people loved in the live show? Isn't drum corps truely about the live performance? I'm sure many people would be complaining if Madison chose to change the song to something a little more lackluster.

• Like 2