The challenges of music licensing, and...

While we are praising Madison for still pursuing the sync rights to ESOM to be able to not have their closer blacked out on any future video recording releases, let's not forget that they put themselves in this position in the first place. Had they picked a different closer that didn't have these same issues (or had a backup plan at the first sign of trouble securing the rights), we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Instead, in May they got a definite "no" and forged ahead anyway.

Again, not trying to cause trouble - just trying to discuss. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Had they picked a different closer, the show would not have had the power that it did. IMO, kudos to them for sticking to their guns and putting the value of the on-field product first.

• Like 1

Not trying to cause trouble either, but to me it seems like you're trying to start a little bit of trouble. Multiple people have states that they appreciate that Madison stuck to their original show plan, hoping that they would be able to secure the rights further in the season. ESOM became one of the best moments of the season for a lot of people, so how can you blame them for sticking with a song that so many people loved in the live show? Isn't drum corps truely about the live performance? I'm sure many people would be complaining if Madison chose to change the song to something a little more lackluster.

Trust me, I have better hobbies than sitting around on an internet forum intentionally trying to cause trouble or trolling around or whatever you want to call it. I joined this forum because I've been around this activity for a long time, and I enjoy learning and discussing things with others who share similar interests. If you think I am intentionally trying to cause trouble, then simply ignore my posts by not reading them or responding to them. I just think this story is very interesting, and I don't believe drum corps has ever seen anything like it.

That all being said, I'm not sure where people get the idea that Madison continued on throughout the season last year in the hopes that they would eventually secure the sync rights to ESOM, even though they were told no in the beginning. In Michael Boo's original post, Chris Komnick said that the publisher gave them the definitive no back in May. So they made a conscious decision to continue on knowing that there would be trouble with the recordings, but not the live performances.

A tough decision, yes, but I can't say that I would have made the same decision. I did see the show live at Finals in Indy, and it was a pretty memorable show. However, there are plenty of people who were never able to see the show live, and were turned off on Madison (and the others that had portions of shows blacked out last year) purely from what happened on the recordings. I agree that seeing drum corps live is important to get the feel of it, but the video recordings are also important to a lot of people too - if you disagree, then why do we all own a lot of them?

Madison made a decision to pursue their show as written knowing full well that they were told no to the sync rights - I just think that they alienated a portion of the drum corps audience in the process, and I don't think I would have made the same decision for that reason.

• Like 2

What would we do without you, Boo?

• Like 2

While we are praising Madison for still pursuing the sync rights to ESOM to be able to not have their closer blacked out on any future video recording releases, let's not forget that they put themselves in this position in the first place. Had they picked a different closer that didn't have these same issues (or had a backup plan at the first sign of trouble securing the rights), we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Instead, in May they got a definite "no" and forged ahead anyway.

Again, not trying to cause trouble - just trying to discuss. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Just keep on beatin' that drum.

• Like 1

So the question is: Do we keep ESOM and go for the score and placement on the field/keep the show package or do we change the show because there will be a blank on the DVD/CDs?

Yeah - tough question with bite us in the ### either way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

What would we do without you, Boo?

Oh, believe me. Lots of people have imagined that. :tongue:

However, there are plenty of people who were never able to see the show live, and were turned off on Madison (and the others that had portions of shows blacked out last year) purely from what happened on the recordings.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, in today's day and age, May is a little late to scrap your closer (not to mention the climax of your very emotional show) and start over...

• Like 2

Had they picked a different closer, the show would not have had the power that it did. IMO, kudos to them for sticking to their guns and putting the value of the on-field product first.

As well they should have.

• Like 1