The challenges of music licensing, and...

One possible way around this would be to put both the audio and video on separate tracks, un-synched, on the DVD. Because, it is getting easier and easier for consumers to synch up different tracks themselves. (This doesn't always work with the CD, because some of the CDs have been time compressed).

One possible way around this would be to put both the audio and video on separate tracks, un-synched, on the DVD. Because, it is getting easier and easier for consumers to synch up different tracks themselves. (This doesn't always work with the CD, because some of the CDs have been time compressed).

You have answered why that won't be allowed by license holders.

• 1 month later...

In Regiment's 2008 situation, the first DVD's had been produced and shipped with the full show intact. Later versions had the track in question removed, both audio and video. The early pre-orders were lucky. They got the whole show.

Strangely enough, there's a commercial out now (that I see quite frequently during the Olympics) put out by the State of New York <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgILlGg1E8> that contains Empire State of Mind...

'hmmmm...'

Because State Farm's need for exclusivity is now way past.

Edited by Michael Boo

In Regiment's 2008 situation, the first DVD's had been produced and shipped with the full show intact. Later versions had the track in question removed, both audio and video. The early pre-orders were lucky. They got the whole show.

I got one

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of fell into this thread and it is a great topic.

I have simply one question... Out of all thee composers/arrangers in the world, I would think Robert W. Smith would understand all these issues up front. Was he consulting Madison on the possible issues?

Another note... and thinking about Robert W. Smith... this encourages the creation of original compositions for Drum Corps.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I kind of fell into this thread and it is a great topic.

I have simply one question... Out of all thee composers/arrangers in the world, I would think Robert W. Smith would understand all these issues up front. Was he consulting Madison on the possible issues?

Another note... and thinking about Robert W. Smith... this encourages the creation of original compositions for Drum Corps.

Robert was intimately involved, but even he couldn't have imagined why things were as they were. It all instantly made sense to him when he was watching the live broadcast of the 10th anniversary events and the commercial came on.

Robert was intimately involved, but even he couldn't have imagined why things were as they were. It all instantly made sense to him when he was watching the live broadcast of the 10th anniversary events and the commercial came on.

an oh sh... moment.

I would love to hear some more original works from him.

Great topic, Boo, thanks for the inside info.

But now I need you, with all the unofficial powers vested in you by nobody at DCI, to appoint me the Madison Scout honorary Director for a day. I promise you, I can resolve this.

I would gather my Madison Scout Drum and Bugle Corps in full regallea with the most magnificent arrangement of ESOM I could muster, I would take my own camera crew and make a Youtube like video of ESOM right in front of the State Farm Insurance world wide headquarters and I would thank the State Farm people for the wonderful job they do helping kids. I would make it a professional production and give the final tape to State Farm with the sincere thanks of the Madiosn Scouts, Drum Corps International, and non-profit charities everywhere.

As the director, I wouldn't ask for a thing. I would let all that great grass roots publicity get out there for State Farm, and let natural consequences take its own path.

And then I'd wait to see what happens.