Congratulations Spirit of Atlanta

Similar to how I started a topic a couple of years ago congratulating the Blue Coats for topping the Blue Devils (which I'm an alumni of).......

I say to the Spirit of Atlanta.....congratulations for topping the Cavaliers. From my understanding, the last time this happened was somewhere around the time I marched. I thought it was 1984 but somebody told me 1986. Whatever it is.....congratulations!!!!

At any rate, I'm sure the Spirit members are excited and the Cavies members are not. Good luck to both corps this summer. May you both reach your peak performances at the right time.

Rob

BD Alumn

• Like 6

I second this. What a great achievement. Cavaliers are a great organization and this year (while possibly terrible for Cavie fans) is still a great testament to the drum corps world.

Similar to how I started a topic a couple of years ago congratulating the Blue Coats for topping the Blue Devils (which I'm an alumni of).......

I say to the Spirit of Atlanta.....congratulations for topping the Cavaliers. From my understanding, the last time this happened was somewhere around the time I marched. I thought it was 1984 but somebody told me 1986. Whatever it is.....congratulations!!!!

At any rate, I'm sure the Spirit members are excited and the Cavies members are not. Good luck to both corps this summer. May you both reach your peak performances at the right time.

Rob

BD Alumn

I can guarantee, from personal experience, that the members of The Cavaliers could care less that Spirit beat them tonight. Hell most of them probably went over to Spirit after the show and congratulated them themselves.

• Like 6

I can guarantee, from personal experience, that the members of The Cavaliers could care less that Spirit beat them tonight.

Cool - they could care less. Different culture from my corps.

Still - I'm sure Spirit of Atlanta thought this to be quite the achievement.

• Like 3

I can guarantee, from personal experience, that the members of The Cavaliers could care less that Spirit beat them tonight. Hell most of them probably went over to Spirit after the show and congratulated them themselves.

As a witness, this did happen and GOOD ON THEM for doing so.

Cavies have really changed the first 2/3's of the show visually and are VERY dirty at the moment. That won't last long. I look forward to the revamp of the last third of the show after this chunk cleans up. Cavies guard staging is much improved but the theme of the show is still lost to me ........ bigtime. The men are marching very well .. just the new stuff was a cluster (as should be expected). Ensemble issues are way way better but there are still some spots that are a touch rough from side to side.

Spirit needs to keep moving up, adding and cleaning if they want to stay where they are now.

Spirit of Atlanta REALLY rocked it out tonight in Kalamazoo........ Very very nice show, concept, presentation and execution that gets your heart going! I can't wait for them to UP the volume in certain spots .. it's going to happen.

Congrats Spirit .. keep pushing. keep getting better every day ... don't worry about who you beat (even though I know it got you pumped). Just do you and keep doing it better every day. JUST DO IT!

• Like 7

Class act from some of those Cavies members. There was a time when some dudes from JSU went to march Cavies, and I wonder if there are any dudes in the drumline still? I have a high respect for the Cavies and know they will end up fine this year. Glad to see my old corps beat a great corps, even if for one night and missing a drum judge, so here's to the phrase, "#### happens"....!!!!

• Like 1

I'm sure Spirit of Atlanta thought this to be quite the achievement.

And they should. Congratulations tothe Spirit of Atlanta for topping The Cavaliers last night. Spirit has an engaging and interesting show and its theme is clear to most, and they executed it well enough last night to top The Cavaliers, something SOA has not been able to do with The Cavaliers since the 80's. This is a wonderful achievement for this improving Spirit of Atlanta Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

When my son marched with SOA some years ago, there were parts of it that were a great experience, and parts of it that were a hot mess, and very discouraging. Good on all of those who kept the faith, raised the money, and believed that such a wonderful tradition deserved to thrive again! I thought last year's show was awesome, and apparently this year's is an even larger step towards re-establishing Spirit to its historical greatness. This accomplishment says much more about SOA than it does about whatever other corps are up or down this year.

• Like 5

When my son marched with SOA some years ago, there were parts of it that were a great experience, and parts of it that were a hot mess, and very discouraging. Good on all of those who kept the faith, raised the money, and believed that such a wonderful tradition deserved to thrive again! I thought last year's show was awesome, and apparently this year's is an even larger step towards re-establishing Spirit to its historical greatness. This accomplishment says much more about SOA than it does about whatever other corps are up or down this year.

My son is also a Spirit alum. I'm glad to see them surge too! It is a great organization.

• Like 1

I find that incredibly difficult to believe....but I HOPE it is. That would be a pretty significant display of class. I was there when the noose got returned to SCV after many many years of beating Cavies. I think we may have congratulted them, but we were pretty determined to get it back to them. The rest of that year and two more after we were unsuccesful.

But, that was SCV dropping just a little and Cavliers rising just a little. This is Spirit rising from the ashes. Spirit was dead. Seeing them doing this well and seeing Blue Stars doing well is really fantastic.

Congrats to Sprit.

[editted after reading some more posts]

I now see some confirmation that Cavalier members did, in fact, do this. That is $%^!*&% awesome!. Much respect. (not that I didn't already) Stay classy, San Diego...I mean Rosemont.

Edited by jplattSCV
  • Like 1