Fan Network "On-Demand" vs. "Beta Stream"

Is there a reason why the "On-Demand" videos on the Fan Network don't have as high quality as the "Beta" Live Streams? I just watched the Kalamazoo Beta High Stream and it was significantly better video/audio than the "On-Demand" Kalamazoo Video.

This no make sense. :)

• Like 1

Is there a reason why the "On-Demand" videos on the Fan Network don't have as high quality as the "Beta" Live Streams? I just watched the Kalamazoo Beta High Stream and it was significantly better video/audio than the "On-Demand" Kalamazoo Video.

Maybe it's because the BETA stream feature is something that they are TESTING? I know it's kinda Google style of them, but they're testing an improved stream with better audio/video.

BETA usually implies no guaranteed service level... It's pretty standard terminology... Just pick that stream and enjoy the benefits, but don't be surprised if there are problems....

isn't that what Beta means?

I'm sure it will get better and better. I waited a couple years to sign up for FN. I'm pretty darn happy I can watch live DC shows now! Can't wait until they do the Finals live but Semi Finals is pretty cool now.

• Like 1

Try clicking "increase video size". In full screen, if the bandwidth 'decider' lets you, it'll go as high as 1280*720. The initial box is smaller, where as the beta is a "fixed width".

Video on demand are going up true HD (1280*720) whenever they're being shot that way.

:)

It actually makes perfect sense. They are testing the higher resolution stream thus calling it "Beta" :doh:

I can remember going through a roll of quarters trying to find out scores for Finals. Be happy with what we have now.

Agreed! And remember the earlier days of online DCI videos? (I know I'm going to sound like a geezer here.) I think it was around 1997 or 1998. DCI would have a really tiny, grainy video feed that would cut in and out. It was really spotty, but I was happy to get a glimpse of what the shows were like.

Even further back, in the 1980s, I remember not having any idea what shows were in finals until the broadcast came on PBS on finals night. We didn't have a VCR yet, so I just watched the show live ONE TIME.

The FN is fabulous and I'm sure will only get better.