Guard outfits

Can anyone tell me when, historically, Color Guards began dropping Corps uniforms in favor of Theme costumes?

Not Trolling here, I think that over the years some have really enhanced shows (Cavaliers '08 Samurai for example) while others still baffle me (to be fair Cavaliers Spin Cycle).

Edited by AmFlag61

Can anyone tell me when, historically, Color Guards began dropping Corps uniforms in favor of Theme costumes?

Not Trolling here, I think that over the years some have really enhanced shows (Cavaliers '08 Samurai for example) while others still baffle me (to be fair Cavaliers Spin Cycle).

I can't pin a specific year down for you, but around the mid 70's Corps started to use more Theme Costumes. Once the Corps left the Veterans Groups umbrella, and the Corps banded together to form their own DCI in '73, it was shortly thereafter... within a couple of years really,... where the Color Guard tranformation, both stylistically and uniform wise changed pretty dramatically.

Edited by BRASSO

Ty for replying. Yeah, I can't imagine that AL/VFW would have ever allowed this without "penalties".

I didn't think the guard uniforms changing started quite that early. I thought in the 70's most corps still had the guard in something resembling the corps proper jacket with a skirt and boots.

I thought the change to pants and different looks for the guard didn't start coming in until late 70's or even early 80's.

I know the Bluecoats had the guard in a similar jacket as the corps through 1979, then in 80-82 the guard had unique uniforms, but then in 84 & 85 they had jackets that looked like the corps jackets just in different colors. Then in 1986 is when the costuming started for us.

I think that the 1981 Blue Devils guard really helped change what the look of guards would become. They went from a very similar uniform to the corps (including the shako) to a very modern stylized jazz bodysuit - which was quite different back then and caused alot of reactions (I thought they were awesome and really freed up the guard to move and flow better). 1982 saw the Cadets change to a more sophisticated look and 1983 saw the Vanguard get rid of the "majorette" boots and also go for a very different look for the guard.

But I still think the 1981 Blue Devils were the catalyst to this.

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

I can't pin a specific year down for you, but around the mid 70's Corps started to use more Theme Costumes. Once the Corps left the Veterans Groups umbrella, and the Corps banded together to form their own DCI in '73, it was shortly thereafter... within a couple of years really,... where the Color Guard tranformation, both stylistically and uniform wise changed pretty dramatically.

I think it was around 69/70/71. Cav's did the Clown thing.

I think that the 1981 Blue Devils guard really helped change what the look of guards would become. They went from a very similar uniform to the corps (including the shako) to a very modern stylized jazz bodysuit - which was quite different back then and caused alot of reactions (I thought they were awesome and really freed up the guard to move and flow better). 1982 saw the Cadets change to a more sophisticated look and 1983 saw the Vanguard get rid of the "majorette" boots and also go for a very different look for the guard.

But I still think the 1981 Blue Devils were the catalyst to this.

Later,

Mike

I think the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta also deserves credit for having the Guard "outfits" completely separate from the Corps uniforms. With respect to 27th's rifle line (who wore "uniforms" different than than the corps), I think Spirit was also instrumental in having their guard wearing much more relaxed outfits.

Although Bridgemen's guard uniforms were a different color than the corps for years prior to that, I think they also helped to define the guard separately from a unformed ensemble (as did the entire corps).

A little OT, but the OP sent my mind in this direction...

I really like how Cavies used elements of the corps uni in its guard unis. It didn't look like a "costume," but more like an artistic variant of the corps uni. For example, I think they used the corps uni sash (along with black pants) in 94 and 95.

It didnt change from guard uniform to "costume" until the lare 80's, early 90's.

I would even cite 1990 Blue Devils as the main force in this.....up until 1990 BD guard uniforms did not change every year, slight variations from 1981 - 1987, than a two year white varioation from 88 - 89. Scott took the helm in 1990 and every year since, the uniform has been different.

Same thing with Cadets, from 83 - 89 The guard uniform was pretty much a variation of itself (87 an exception) then from 1990 on, they were different every year.

Geoffrey

ps: Phantom Regiment also had a history of variations on a uniform. the 81 Spartacus uniform was a conservative offering, as compared to the 82, more theatrical style....83 - 85 were variations of that uniform, 86, back to the old school style, then 87 was a radical, elegant change and 88/89 were variations of that..including 1990. Then from wevery year after that the uniform was different....Seems like 1990 was really the year for corps to totally change from guard uniform, to guard costume.

Edited by GMichael1230

I didn't think the guard uniforms changing started quite that early. I thought in the 70's most corps still had the guard in something resembling the corps proper jacket with a skirt and boots.

I thought the change to pants and different looks for the guard didn't start coming in until late 70's or even early 80's.

I know the Bluecoats had the guard in a similar jacket as the corps through 1979, then in 80-82 the guard had unique uniforms, but then in 84 & 85 they had jackets that looked like the corps jackets just in different colors. Then in 1986 is when the costuming started for us.

Bridgemen in mid 70's had Guard in theme costumes. VK too... several other Corps began to move away from the traditional boots, skirt, etc for the Guards by the mid 70's too. Some stayed traditional with their Guard back then a bit longer, this is also true.