Technical questions about drill...

I remember the transition between high school and college band, having to learn the new hashes. The Georgia Dome was always an adventure, since it had three sets of hashes.

Aside from Circle Drill, our traditional style drill in college was almost entirely 8 to 5 with flanking. I got very good at those after a while.

Yeah, the Georgia dome has all three sets, along with a "half-way" line between the back sideline and back hash at 14 steps instead of the normal 16, so it's technically half-way for the high-school hash

Yeah, the Georgia dome has all three sets, along with a "half-way" line between the back sideline and back hash at 14 steps instead of the normal 16, so it's technically half-way for the high-school hash

Don't get me started on numbers.

If they're there, usually 11.25 and 14.5 from the sideline...except in NFL stadiums (10.25 and 13.5 from the hash). Made our company front at the end of 2011 so easy to hit cleanly.

Don't get me started on numbers.

If they're there, usually 11.25 and 14.5 from the sideline...except in NFL stadiums (10.25 and 13.5 from the hash). Made our company front at the end of 2011 so easy to hit cleanly.

The numbers do always make things easier, especially if you're using a dot system. Knowing all of the measurements makes life easier.

The yard line inserts are also 1.6, 3.2, 3.2, 1.6 if anyone wants to know.

High school numbers are also 9.75 and 13 from the front sideline as well.

The numbers do always make things easier, especially if you're using a dot system. Knowing all of the measurements makes life easier.

High school numbers are also 9.75 and 13 from the front sideline as well.

Actually, there's a term I'd like fully explained. What exactly is the "dot system"? And what is/are the alternative(s) to it?

Actually, there's a term I'd like fully explained. What exactly is the "dot system"? And what is/are the alternative(s) to it?

There are two teaching philosophies, dot and form system.

The dot system gives the members exact spots on the field, i.e. "dots" that they connect in order to make their show. Some corps go as detailed as quarter steps in order to make sure everyone is in exactly the right spot at all times. The rationale here is that if everyone is exactly in their spot, then the forms will look right. Usually it involves members just relying on their dots instead of "dressing" or "guiding" to the form

The other method is the form system, where members are a little less reliant on dots, and more reliant on the big picture of the form. Usually, it will involved members focusing on their relationship to the people around them, and how it relates to the overall form. It usually has people "guiding" the form when they reach each set, so people will move away from their dot in order to make the form look right. This can end up with people moving far away from where they originally were in order to make the set look right. The risk here though is that if a majority of the form is significantly off, then everyone will be very far off. Like if the front of a line is 4 or 5 steps off, then the entire line will be 4 or 5 steps off their actual dot.

Most people have come to the conclusion that you can run a visual program with just a dot system, but you can't use one with just a form system.

• Like 1

And of course, almost all groups will use a combination of both of those philosophies.

With the exception of the Cavaliers and SCV. There may be a few others, but I know those two use an exclusively dot only system