Blue Devils on top...really?

I never care who wins, I want the best to win, even if its not my favorite, I just want it to be the best......I would hate for the BD to be the best and not win just because the "masses" dont get it.

Geoffrey

Sarcasm noted. I was at the Minneapolis show Saturday, and I have to say I'm with Granny on this one - the emperor has no clothes. There is nothing to "get" with this BD show, except a whole lot of pretensiousness. In all the years I've been following the activity, I have never heard such silence at the end of a show as BD Saturday night. The silence was actually quite stunning. I wasn't expecting great applause - this is not my first rodeo - but the absense of any response at all was really interesting. There wasn't any booing, there wasn't any standing up and cheering (except for the staff and maybe a few here and there). Mostly it was....nothing. Maybe that's what they're going for.

Anyway I don't buy the notion that Crown is so sloppy - they were amazing and I thought no one out there was close to them. The difficulty of their show is stunning, and their execution, playing while running .... just amazing.

So, if the high falutin' judges deem BD to be the winner this year, okay.... whatever. It won't be the first time.

• Like 3

Sarcasm noted. I was at the Minneapolis show Saturday, and I have to say I'm with Granny on this one - the emperor has no clothes. There is nothing to "get" with this BD show, except a whole lot of pretensiousness. In all the years I've been following the activity, I have never heard such silence at the end of a show as BD Saturday night. The silence was actually quite stunning. I wasn't expecting great applause - this is not my first rodeo - but the absense of any response at all was really interesting. There wasn't any booing, there wasn't any standing up and cheering (except for the staff and maybe a few here and there). Mostly it was....nothing. Maybe that's what they're going for.

Anyway I don't buy the notion that Crown is so sloppy - they were amazing and I thought no one out there was close to them. The difficulty of their show is stunning, and their execution, playing while running .... just amazing.

So, if the high falutin' judges deem BD to be the winner this year, okay.... whatever. It won't be the first time.

Yet again--as noted earlier--where is "Crowd Reaction" on the judges sheets? They are performing better than anyone else RIGHT. NOW.

If crowd reaction gets put on there BDC will win every show because they are adorable.

This is truth.

• Like 1

Clean wins. Crown will be sloppy in comparison for the rest of the year even though they have that sweet horn sound.

Sweet horn sound and...that's it. What are the odds of winning other captions this year? Colorguard? Maybe. With that hard drill? Probably not. A few rewrites can fix that, but compare it to a bunch of other corps who aren't making huge changes and are just focusing on cleaning.

Clean didn't win last year. I loved Cadets, and thought they were a deserving champion, but by no means where they the cleanest corps. Especially in vis.

Reminds me of Phantom 2008. Clean? Nope. GE? YUP!

If we keep rewarding Blue Devils for their technically impressive, yet coma inducing shows, while Cadets and Crown and Regiment are running around playing their ##### off and getting fans literally off their butts, what does that say for the activity? BD is only "tenths" of a point better.....it's not like Crown or Cadets or PR are that much dirtier.

I Predict a roar that might topple the Oil Can in August if Blue Devils win, and I don't think it'll be the good kind.

Coma-inducing? BD? Hate to tell you, but it's just your bias. I'm am induced into a coma by Crown's shows 2008-2012. Does that mean they're bad? Not at all! Does that mean I'm right and the shows should be 8th place? Nope! But don't call BD coma-inducing just because you want someone else to win.

• Like 1

Well, it was a better response than Star '93 got. Especially during their mid-season shows.

Also, there is no "notion" that Crown is sloppy. It's fact. 6th place drums in execution, people falling because their marching technique is awful, people hopping instead of marching backwards, pit playing with not the best tone quality, guard dropping because they don't catch THEN move. There's a LOT to pick apart. It's all in small chunks, but it's the kind of stuff that takes the longest to fix.

And where is this idea of "high-falutin' judges" coming from? Are they really pretentious when you talk to them? I've taught drum corps for several seasons and never once did I think a judge was talking down to me (or any other parts of the staff). The staff members who thought the judges "didn't know what they were talking about" or "had their heads you-know-where" were the ones who took the imperfections in their product too personally. I know it's easy to just write it off as one big conspiracy, but they're human, just like you and me, and follow their guidelines very well.

And yes, when I marched, I always blamed bad scores on the judges. It was impossible to take a step back and see our faults, but it was easier to criticize the judges. Looking back, I think I was write about 10% of the time, but I don't have any recordings of mid-season shows, so I'll just assume I was wrong and each score was deserved.

• Like 2

Coma-inducing? BD? Hate to tell you, but it's just your bias. I'm am induced into a coma by Crown's shows 2008-2012. Does that mean they're bad? Not at all! Does that mean I'm right and the shows should be 8th place? Nope! But don't call BD coma-inducing just because you want someone else to win.

This. And what I find strange about it all is these BD haters want Crown to win now!? They don't award championships on July 16th. As said by most BD or non-biased fans in this thread...if Crown gets extremely clean, they win. Don't hate BD for taking advantage of the system. Personally, I would actually love to see Crown win--but not if they don't deserve it. Right now they dont'--in August they might. With all that said we need to quit bickering and just enjoy the season; it only happens 3 months out of the year. :thumbup:

blue devils really are lower than top dci corps this year. crown phantom cadets. devils for their new qualitys but just no goosbumps. 4th for devils....\

Yet again--as noted earlier--where is "Crowd Reaction" on the judges sheets? They are performing better than anyone else RIGHT. NOW.

so say some judges. The people who paid with their money to attend the show saw it quite differently. But.... no one cares about that, right? In my opinion, Crown was head and shoulders better than BD

• Like 3

so say some judges. The people who paid with their money to attend the show saw it quite differently. But.... no one cares about that, right? In my opinion, Crown was head and shoulders better than BD

so should the Scouts be in second?