Blue Devils on top...really?

Now, there's some irony. You dislike his post and his views about BD's offering this year, and it looks to me like you're discrediting it.

How about this - you like BD's show this year, he doesn't. No amount of back and forth is gonna change that. Can you respect his opinion, and he yours? And just move on? Otherwise, I'm entertained by the back and forth. You do realize that there will be no "winner" in this exchange.

Well throwing around words like 'cheap' and 'nonsense' just simply aren't going to be taken lightly. Especially when you are talking about the most decorated corps in DCI and this years current number one. There are plenty who share euph2008's opinion that are far less disrespectful.

• Like 1

When's the last time you saw BD run out of gas before Finals?

2011, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2002, 1998, 1995. I had a list somewhere of the years they got jumped during Finals week, but I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. But this conversation has come up before. Sometimes they peak a week early, sometimes a day early. Sometimes people just have a better show Finals week. It happens

Well throwing around words like 'cheap' and 'nonsense' just simply aren't going to be taken lightly. Especially when you are talking about the most decorated corps in DCI and this years current number one. There are plenty who share euph2008's opinion that are far less disrespectful.

hear freaking hear!

• Like 1

Only if you are aiming it at their house.

Maybe it would be.... :whistle: Won't know until I get my own trebuchet in the backyard

It is known that the Allentown crowd can be a tough crowd, and are very truthful with their reactions. They aren't even the nicest to the hometown corps at times. If you have fan network. Go back and watch the last three years worth of shows. Check out the fan reaction for the other top corps. Then watch BD. If you were there you know what I'm talking about.

Hell... watch the finals performances. Last year got a decent reaction, granted it was an alright ending. But still nothing compared to Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Phantom. Heck I think SCV got a better reaction.

What I observe is polite clapping. Half standing ovations... like what the bottom tier corps get.

This year, I am conflicted. But one thing is for sure, I don't like having to take the time after seeing a performance to decide if I like it or not. I think I like the show. I get the show. But I'm just meh. On the other hand I have a friend who really digs the show. To each his own. The show is just purposely disjointed, and I'm not sure if I'm cool with that. One thing is for sure, the beginning section of the show after the in your face opening that I dig, and then it gets into the really lush and beautiful section for a while, I reallllllly like. I want more of THAT! With less of the narration and more of the music! The best stuff I've heard coming out of BD in a while.

• Like 1

Well throwing around words like 'cheap' and 'nonsense' just simply aren't going to be taken lightly. Especially when you are talking about the most decorated corps in DCI and this years current number one.

So let me get this straight, you're upset at someone calling BD's Dada show nonsense?

• Like 3

And I do think the will peak. And I see Crown overtaking them. I also see Phantom being a medalist this year. So I see BD in 2nd or 3rd. Call me crazy, I know you want to! tongue.gif

• Like 1

I have a legitimate question, I'm not trying to be rude or anything.

I marched high school, but never got the chance to do corps, so I beseech someone with real experience. What is demanding (visually) about BD's show? I hear a lot on DCP about the demand in their show, but really all I see is blobs, random scatter drill, curvy lines (some with quite bad intervals), etc. It seems like Constantly Risking Absurdity, except everyone is being absurd and I'm not sure what they're supposed to be doing, or how the judges can tell if they're clean or dirty.

I get that their brass is phenomenal, and I'm sure that their individual marching technique is second to none. But could somebody who is more knowledgeable than me (or thinks they are) point out a couple of visual moves in BD's show that are impressive so I can check them out on the fan network? More specifically, what do they do that is more difficult than that other show?

You have to look at demand with regards to BD in a very different light. Most spectators consider demand to be when the hornline is hauling and playing a lot of notes. Or the same for the drumline. Most consider demand to be when the entire corps is doing this at the same time. That's conventional wisdom.

When I look at BD they are putting the emphasis on the individual performer. Much harder to judge plain and simple. But when you look at their ensemble moments ... slow tempo, control, super uniform technique, excellent carriage .. .flat out BA! Yes this is demanding. They have taken out a bunch of curvilinear drill this year. This is something BD used to do quite a bit of (which is extremely demanding but not viewed as such by the general fan these days .. trust me .. reshapes are a ##### to clean).

Ok back on track .. INDIVIDUAL PERFORMER. Character portrayal, freeform movement with great technique at high velocity, color guard movement is out of this world .. I'm talking body, not marching or drill sets or distance between sets. It's a different animal by design and unless you're looking at it the way it's designed .. you're not going to get it. Same can be said for BK this year (absolutely genius visual design) however, they do what ppl think are globs but it is soooo structured and conceptualized in the Sully's mind as he's writing it ... I can just see his gears turning when I watch that show.

Now if you compare it to Cadets or Crown, you're going to think .. man BD doesn't march very much demand. Totally different styles of design and totally different emphasis on the performer. Try running for 30 seconds as fast as you can and then play stone cold like they do with perfect marching technique and breath control. VERY DEMANDING. Buy 40 hoola hoops and try to clean it with a 7 mph wind. Good luck.

It might sound like I'm totally defending BD here ... I'm not. It's not my cup of tea .. but I get what they're doing and why it's hard. To me, especially this year, all the complaints about lack of demand is just folks who haven't been exposed to what BD is doing .... or don't have the imagination to put themselves in the performers shoes and realize how friggin hard their show is. Could it be harder? Absolutely .. a ton harder. Would it make it more demanding? Not necessarily. IT will just LOOK more demanding from up top.

I hope this helps .. I tried not to get too technical or heady with my explanation. Keep asking questions my friend .. I'm sure others have the same questions but are too stubborn to ask them.

• Like 2

Maybe it would be.... :whistle: Won't know until I get my own trebuchet in the backyard

LOVE me some trebuchet!

This is exactly why I try not to even post anything about corps I care less about even though I have made a couple statements you don't see me on certain threads at all. I have made it very clear that I really hate Cadets Christmas show and have not liked the Cheesy stuff that one corps has done in the last few years but this year is doing a great show. I say it here on a threads bashing my lifetime corps but you WILL NOT see me on those threads dedicated to those that love those particular corps.

I wish more people would have the same considerations. I respect your threads and stay off them. Please be cordial.