One Good Reason the Activity Is Destined to Continue...

The reason you state is a good reason why it *should* continue, but may not be enough of a reason to make sure it *will* continue.

Everyone on DCP wants drum corps to continue. The "negative" threads are an effort to understand how and why it might stumble and try to prevent it. In that light, I see them as positive threads. Yes, there are plenty of nattering nabobs in those threads, but there are lots of good ideas as well.

For precisely the reasons you state, for the sake of the future of the activity, it's critical that we not ignore the problems that are causing corps to fail, preventing corps from starting up, and shrinking the activity over time.

That said, it's good to remind ourselves why we're so passionate about the activity every once in a while, so thanks for the thread! :thumbup:

Or to put it in a sound bite: "It's a good sign that people care enough to B-word and argue about things". IMO when people don't care... you're S.O.L.

• Like 1

Because we band directors continue to send kids to march!! Got 7 current/ex students marching this summer!!! GO CONNOR, SAM, AARON, MICHAEL, JEREMY, MATT AND CHRIS!!! LUV U GUYS!!

Wes P

I have to chime in on this one because I'm proud too!

GOOOOO Casie - BD, Zack - Blue Stars, Cary - Boston, Chris and Brendan - SCV, Daniel - Troopers, and Kim - Cadets ...... Can't wait to see you all in Allentown!!

When I wrote the thread about predestined death of DCI I did it not because I don't like the activity. I did it as a wake up call. While we have rabid fans and thousands of young "kids" that want to march the issue is having places for them to march.

Without growth there is stagnantion and with stagnation comes death. I really want to be able to take my grands who are now under 8 years old when they get older to a show and say Pop-pop used to do that when he was younger.

Not on point with the OP, but while watching the Crossmen rehearsal in St Louis, there were a group of maybe 15 or 16 year old kids watching with their teacher. I overheard each of them say to their teacher..."i wanna do that...what does it take to do that..". Hearing that made me smile, knowing that just watching 1 rehearsal kindled a fire in these students to want to march.

• Like 2

Not sure if the OP meant activity to mean DCI or Drum Corps in general. If activity = DCI then please quit reading.... :tongue: If activity = Drum Corps itself then I'd say it will survive as long as group and leaders are flexible enough to change to go with the realities of the real world. The All Age world became more inclusive of smaller corps. Many "Alumni" corps started out as being composed of Alumni only and now allow members who have no corps experience at all. Then there is this Mini corps thingee that never existed (or even thought of) 15 or so years ago. Also better use of the Internet for information and history keeping which like the Minis wasn't around years back....

Some change that appears to be working...

• 5 weeks later...

... about providing a unique and unparalleled opportunity for young performers to create phenomenal art, life-long relationships, and a legacy all their own ... Our kids deserve it.

But all our kids aren't getting it. Only the better-off kids are allowed into the new/improved activity; the others are as irrelevant as the activity's pioneers ... what the in-group calls the "dinos" ... unless, of course, they'd care to scrape up enough for a ticket, which would allow them to be on the outside looking in, long as they don't get too uppity-like.

• Like 1

But all our kids aren't getting it. Only the better-off kids are allowed into the new/improved activity; the others are as irrelevant as the activity's pioneers ... what the in-group calls the "dinos" ... unless, of course, they'd care to scrape up enough for a ticket, which would allow them to be on the outside looking in, long as they don't get too uppity-like.

your font frightens me

• Like 3

Really...I have to take exception with just about everything in your post.

1. It's not the "better-off" kids that are getting in. It's the kids who have the drive, the determination...the commitment...to do whatever it takes, who are getting in. Having a family that supports and encourages those qualities helps.

2. The "dinos" are not irrelevant. They are the foundation...the history...of our drum corps. Without them, my son would not be a proud member of the Blue Knights today.

3. And don't get me started on your use of the phrase, "uppity-like".

I only wish I could give you THREE negatives...instead of just one.

drop the dino bit. Things change.

respond to your post. The kids get it. You do not. As for the money - Inflation. Really it is not more expensive. Does it cost more - YES - everything cost more.