2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

Back in the day - DCI had a rule ,written in stone, that if you marched a top 25 corps and hadn't paid your dues in full you absolutely could not march another top 25 corps until those dues were paid. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Period.

Has that rule gone by the wayside over the years?

The rule is still there, but it seems to be somewhat unenforceable for a variety of reasons. First, there isn't a central database (that I'm aware of) that corps can check to see if members owe money to other organizations. Second, most corps just have a line item on the contract that the member initials to indicate that they don't owe any money to other corps. They don't do any background or followup. They pretty much take the word of the member and that's it. As long as the members pay them, that's really all that they care about.

now thats interesting because someone from pio posted recently that you guys had the same issue with kids.hmmm and even said some kids from FL

That was in 2010 and years prior to that. The last two years have been pretty decent as far as members paying on time or achieving enough sponsorship through our SOPY program to cover their dues.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

The rule is still there, but it seems to be somewhat unenforceable for a variety of reasons. First, there isn't a central database (that I'm aware of) that corps can check to see if members owe money to other organizations. Second, most corps just have a line item on the contract that the member initials to indicate that they don't owe any money to other corps. They don't do any background or followup. They pretty much take the word of the member and that's it. As long as the members pay them, that's really all that they care about.

and there is the problem...........this should be taken more serious BUT some corps think of themselves and the talent....many times they get burned also from the same kid and they dont get it DUHHHH......they need to check and honor the past group. Kids know they get away with this stuff

I'm not sure what the penalty was for allowing a kid to march another corps when owing money. I was always under the impression that DCI would land on the corps with both feet if they caught them doing it. It was always implied that if you were one of those kids that owed money - you better pay it because if you were seen and reported to DCI by your old corps that you'd be cut the moment DCI showed up.

Edited by RetiredJedi

ok....they made it sound like this year also

No, this year's corps is in pretty good shape in regards to membership dues from what Roman has told me. The worst years were:

2010 - 10 non paying members

2009 - 7

2008 - 7

2007 - 6

Those number represent members who owed a significant portion of their dues months after the season ended... and made no effort to pay them.

Edit - I should add that there were additional members on top of those numbers. However, some paid up to the collection agency. Others did the responsible thing and made payment arrangements with the corps to pay off their balance.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

I know that some corps do check on each other when it comes to fee payment, because it has been a problem in the past. I know many of the corps directors do talk to each other, and if a kid bails without paying, I'm sure it would follow them to their next corps.

I think more corps need the system that many of the Top 12 use, where you're put on a schedule for payment, and if you miss more than one payment, your contract is pulled, and you become an alternate, and if you miss more than four payments without working out a system with the management, you're gone.

• Like 1

I know that some corps do check on each other when it comes to fee payment, because it has been a problem in the past. I know many of the corps directors do talk to each other, and if a kid bails without paying, I'm sure it would follow them to their next corps.

I think more corps need the system that many of the Top 12 use, where you're put on a schedule for payment, and if you miss more than one payment, your contract is pulled, and you become an alternate, and if you miss more than four payments without working out a system with the management, you're gone.

some of the top 12 are the offenders of taking these kids...happens many times

some of the top 12 are the offenders of taking these kids...happens many times

I'm sure. I just know that at least a few of them have clauses in their contracts about payment schedules, and the repercussions of not paying. It sucks when it happens, but at the Top 12 level, it's probably a little less prevalent than at the lower level, where recruitment is harder, and the "take everyone who wants to march" theory seems to be more in play

I'm sure. I just know that at least a few of them have clauses in their contracts about payment schedules, and the repercussions of not paying. It sucks when it happens, but at the Top 12 level, it's probably a little less prevalent than at the lower level, where recruitment is harder, and the "take everyone who wants to march" theory seems to be more in play

very true.........sad thing is these kids who dont pay head off to another corps and many have money in hand...go figure......amazing when you dont hold the cards how many do what they are supposed to