Denton Review

After the rainout/standstill in Denver, and the movie theater broadcast in June, I finally got to see my first full show last night, and the wait was worth it! Many hits and a few misses. I'm headed to San Antonio tomorrow, and then Dallas Tuesday night, so I'm sure I'll have more in-depth things to say after that.

I had great seats last night, 5 rows from the top, on the 50. It was my first show of the year to see live, so as usual I'm sure some of these initial reactions/opinions will change markedly in the coming weeks. The 30 second bio, I marched in the early 90s, taught a bit, and have many many friends in the activity today, so I tend to be pretty blunt with my thoughts. I do respect the effort and passion of all the kids in all the corps, though!

Mandarins - To be honest, this was a tough way to start the evening. I used to be a huge fan of the Mandarins, particularly with some of their very inspired Asian-themed shows. This Mayan-influenced "2012" show just doesn't hit the mark. The story is not clear or compelling other than a few cliches like a sacrifice that is executed very poorly. The brief "2012" that flashes in the drill is clever & cool though (but too brief). Performance levels for the brass line need a lot of work, as the sound was very ragged, especially on the move. The highlight of the show is definitely the percussion feature, with some very entertaining dance movement by the whole corps. It's always great to see members lose themselves in a moment & give it all their energy. Unfortunately, that part of the show is too brief. Also, they need to address how they fasten their plumes to their shakos. Many plume casualties left on the field after that feature. Just like their uniforms, this corps from a design perspective has really lost the character that made them special, and the performance levels that always used to distinguish them as a small but mighty corps. I hope they find that mojo again! On my hits and misses scale? "Miss."

Academy - I had such high hopes for Academy this year. I've really loved many of their recent music books and brass performances. This show, though, just does nothing for me. I think the music book is as uninteresting as can be (a design issue). Chopped to death and incoherent in many places. There was also a raggedness to the brass line that I haven't heard from Academy in recent years. Surely they miss Klesch's arranging from a few years back, and perhaps they are younger this year. I read another poster talk about their hornline very positively. Maybe it just didn't project to the upper stands? Visually, the corps is certainly trying to up their game with drill. The guard program is still a huge weakpoint for Academy, though. Just not appealling from a design and color perspective. Academy has been one of my favorite corps. I'm hoping my opinion changes over the next 3 weeks & I wish them well. For last night, though, a definite "Miss."

Blue Stars - Huge leap up in quality from Academy - the scoring is way too tight between the 2. This show has come light years from the movie theater performance in the opening week of June. I still think the Rosander drill doesn't always make sense, and has more demand than effect, but there are some nice impact drill moments, or at least they will be if can be cleaned. I think Blue Stars are selling their music book better, though it is still way to choppy for my tastes. The guard is effective - very effective - though at times the silks are a bit cheesy for me. Some very impressive performance levels from that guard, for sure. The horn line is starting to find some real power, though not with the warm, open tone this corps has had in recent years to accompany that power. Overall, I'd have this show in mildly to the "Hit" side of my hit/miss scale. Kudos to the teaching staff & members for how far they've come. Good potential remains in this show over the next 3 weeks.

Bluecoats - My first unqualified "HIT" of the night. Great show from Bluecoats. Huge turn around from last year's show, which to me was very un-engaging. Great music throughout in this program, sold very well. The hornline as one of the nicest blends and sounds in DCI, and the drum line is a definite strength. The theme is also really starting to come through, though if that was their new ending last night, it's definitely been over-hyped. I think Bluecoats are solidly in 6th. Can't see them higher with this show, but it doesn't mean it won't be one of my favorites this year!

Blue Knights - Talk about ressurecting a season, somewhat like a Phoenix, wow. I was really impressed with BK last night. I guess this show isn't for everyone, but I really, really liked the performance last night. I think there is a ton of fresh ideas in this show - and most sell well to me, with a few misses. The energy levels and demand in this show are off the charts. Definitely perhaps the dirtiest of the finalist contenders at this point, but tons of opportunity left for BK. The music book is a modern take on Firebird, but with enough coherent musical thoughts and original source material to make it flow well and sell. Lot's of nice touches now added, like the first plume that mirrors the guard color scheme, which turns out to be a cover pulled off to reveal a red plume when the rest of the guard morphs into Firebird Red. The ending set is also a great touch. The silks for the guard are also spectacular. I guess this year's BK is a great example of how subjective we all are in what we like out of a drum corps show. To me, this show is a definite "HIT" with huge upside still left on it. I really don't see BK failing to make Finals, and they might just claw up beyond 11-12th. It's in their hands as to how they clean this monster. They have the visual design and music book to make a move.

Phantom Regiment - Warning here - very biased to Regiment. But, WOW. What a program Regiment has on the field. Visually just stunning, from end to end. Musically, the show is intense, flows exceeding well (except for the ending) and is just great, straight-forward drum corps. They had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hand last night. To those that say Regiment is so clean they will peak, I really don't think so. There is considerable dirt in both marching & Visual, as well as in music. When you look at the scoring, the corps is doing VERY well in GE, which bodes well for Indy. If they can clean and elevate their musical performance (though I really think they got a tad underscored in Brass & Ensemble Music last night), they can easily pass Cadets and threaten Blue Devils in 3 weeks. Don't underestimate the power of an emotionally charged beautiful show IF performed cleanly to catch other technically proficient, clean shows. This color guard is I think the best Regiment has had since the 80s, wow, just amazing and gorgeous. I was totally wrong when I was concerned that moving back to an all female guard was a bad decision 2 years ago. As for the drumline, they certainly have a ton of cleaning to do, but they have a very musical, demanding, and entertaining book - surprisingly so, at least to this brass & visual guy's ears. Hit or Miss? Why, "HIT!!!!" of course! :) A women 2 seats over that was a BD supporter just grinned and gushed at the end of the show - "Now THAT's Drum Corps!"

Blue Devils - talk about a 180 from Regiment. I'll start with the good. I actually like a large part of BD's music book a great deal, more than I expected too. And the hornline plays sublimely well for mid-July. I liked the show musically enough that I didn't even hate the narrative mess AS MUCH as I thought I would. Visually? Well, that's a whole other story. Obviously BD knows how to write to compete visually, but wow, I just hate this show visually. So little readable and demanding drill. What's left to judge? The Hula Hoops are a nice idea, but over-used by what is still an incredible guard. The clothes horses & changing and all that just don't do it for me at all. The ending is also a major let down. I have a hard time thinking this show will actually win in Indy - especially given the emphasis the new sheets were supposed to have on audience engagement. However, if no one else cleans to their level, then it can certainly happen. I actually enjoyed BD's show a whole lot more last year. To be fair, the friend that went with me that has been going to a show or 2 for 5-6 years (enough drum corps exposure to know a bit about the activity) thought BD was his favorite show of the night. I won't call this show a "MISS," but it's definitely not a "Hit" for me yet...

Cadets - What a great job Cadets have done with a show theme that could have been so limiting. Apart from a Carol of the Bells opener that is PAINFULLY too long, the rest of the show really works and sells very well. As usual, the drill with Cadets is outstanding. Musically, the corps is rock solid - especially in percussion. Jingle Bells is selling well, as is the whole 2nd half of the show. I just don't see them holding off Phantom Regiment though, unless Regiment doesn't clean up like I think they will. A warm - but not gushing - "HIT" for me tonight.

Cavaliers - Much has been said about Cavaliers this year already. Not to beat a dead horse too much, but I agree. It's shocking to see a show designed this poorly from Rosemont. Visually, the wow moments and innovative, demanding design element is just gone. The guard is perhaps the weakest from Cavaliers since they really hit their groove in the last decade. Without the strong percussion section they have, I wouldn't see this show in the top 8, though the member talent is still very, very evident. I'm sure they are not done changing their show, and I do hope it comes together for them. Maybe their encore tune (a very recognizable latin-jazz piece which name is escaping me) encapsulates my thinking on Cavaliers this year best. That piece should have been intense and tear the house down, but was instead bland and almost "nuetered." There are actually some good musical moments in this show, but the coherent theme is not there and there is no flow or momentum at all. Definitely a "Miss." for me last night.

Well, more to come from the best week of the summer here in Texas!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 2

Great review, Harvey!! Great stuff.

Great review, Harvey!! Great stuff.

Thanks, Jonathan. Coming from someone who always writes stellar reviews, I appreciate that a lot!

Apologies for not covering Forte - I didn't get into the stand in time.

Harvey

Nice review on the Denton performances! Speaking for myself and others who couldn't be there (and you know we always want DETAILS!) it's great that you took the time to be thorough (good and bad). Greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Yet another great review... Like your take on BK. Obviously I feel the same:)

Thanks Harvey, fantastic review!

Aside from Academy, I agree with you on everything said.

I was about 15 rows below you, so yes, perhaps Academy's sound projected to me better than you.

About Phantom, totally agree, I see this show as the sleeper of 2012, an instant classic, stunning on all accounts.

With a new ending and some percussive editing, I see good things happening.

Edited by shaners