New Ending for PR

is it me or is there front end pretty weak? Or those parts at least ? Maybe its all thats needed with the brass over top ... guess we'll have to see

Musically what is missing to me is that the climatic notes from the aria Nessum Dorma are the last notes as the singer goes up high. In PR's arrangment right now, the volume comes back down when the sopranos take up that rising, triumphant melodic line. It should be the crown on top of the aria, not an afterthought as the corps pulls the volume back to make another push with more closing flourishes. You can still have a recap/finale added to the show without taking away the natural impact of this high point in the aria.

Harvey

• Like 5

I posted this elsewhere but will repeat it here. They need to take the solo and divide it among 3 - 4 people that are spread across the field. (Similar to the three tenors -

) As the trio/quintent progresses, the individuals are moving toward one another until the final moment where they are at the "push" which is now a front that moves backwards and to the left. After that, I don't care what they do.

RM

• Like 1

After reading a lot of the recent show reviews, Phantom seems to be getting high praise for the first 11 minutes of their show with a lot of people stating that the ending needs to be reworked for impact. I came across this tidbit from Billy's blog on the regiment.org website:

So, ensemble was split up Into 2.5 hours of sections and 90 minutes of ensemble. We've got a big change coming to the end of the show, so the brass spent a lot of time on that tonight. Ensemble was focused on some count changes to Hope and Blood. It can be frustrating to change the count on something that has been done one way since January, but we made it work.

Read more: http://www.regiment.org/memoirs_display.cfm?ID=484&MemoirPull=12#ixzz21Y5Y5QmR

Hopefully this is the ending that is needed to push the show excitement to a whole new level. I'm reminded of the changes PR made in 2008 to a show that was placing third consistently that ended up propelling that corps into first place above a freakishly clean Blue Devils show and a fan favorite Cavaliers show that year. Hopefully the changes made this year will be as amazing as the changes they made in '08. To win, they once again must compete with a freakishley clean Blue Devils show and a fan favorite Crown show. I can see it happening!

Leg kick in a wedge formation maybe? How about some more "sprinticus" type drill? Maybe both and a ton of those long flags coming out at the same time? Maybe something entirely new? Who knows....what do you guys think they should add? Any insider information on the new ending?

CW

As a drummer, me and a lot of former drum corps drummer veterans like to argue that one of the reasons Phantom was able to surpass the very clean Blue Devils and fan favorite Cavaliers show in 2008 was because of the Regiment Drumline. We always like to cite 2008 as a year where a drumline was the "deciding factor" in who was to win that year in 2008. Whether you truly believe that or not (you'd have to calculate all the points yourself in doing the math), Regiment did have the powerhouse drumline that summer, while Blue Devils finished in 5th. This year, although Regiment has quite the show, the drumline is consistently finishing in 7th or lower. Now, it's not that they're drumming terribly (I think they're doing a fine job personally), but the judges simply believe that six other drumlines are more impressive on the competitive scale (with Phantom's former percussion caption head, as well as former members, leading the pack at the Santa Clara Vanguard). Bottom line, it's going to be tough for Phantom to do what they did in 2008 considering they don't have the Rennick percussion package that the judges and percussion fans love so much. They MIGHT not be able to repeat 2008, but they still have nothing to be ashamed of. Their show of "Turandot" will still be remembered as a great show!

• Like 3

As a drummer, me and a lot of former drum corps drummer veterans like to argue that one of the reasons Phantom was able to surpass the very clean Blue Devils and fan favorite Cavaliers show in 2008 was because of the Regiment Drumline. We always like to cite 2008 as a year where a drumline was the "deciding factor" in who was to win that year in 2008. Whether you truly believe that or not (you'd have to calculate all the points yourself in doing the math), Regiment did have the powerhouse drumline that summer, while Blue Devils finished in 5th. This year, although Regiment has quite the show, the drumline is consistently finishing in 7th or lower. Now, it's not that they're drumming terribly (I think they're doing a fine job personally), but the judges simply believe that six other drumlines are more impressive on the competitive scale (with Phantom's former percussion caption head, as well as former members, leading the pack at the Santa Clara Vanguard). Bottom line, it's going to be tough for Phantom to do what they did in 2008 considering they don't have the Rennick percussion package that the judges and percussion fans love so much. They MIGHT not be able to repeat 2008, but they still have nothing to be ashamed of. Their show of "Turandot" will still be remembered as a great show!

I agree that percussion put Regiment over the top in '08, or it could be argued that percussion put BD under the bus (finishing 5th). However, is there anyone here that believes if the Regiment finishes 5th in percussion this year they'd even sniff at 2nd? I don't! The only possible chance for that to happen would be if the top five lines all finished with half a point of one another. If they can managed to finish 3rd in music, then the bronze should be theirs. Not that the medal is what they do this for.

I'd just like a close finish ala 08, 06, 80, 78.

RM

• Like 1

You make a really good point. I marched brass and really don't have an ear to distinguish the difference between a 1st place drumline and, say a drumline that places a half a point behind that first place line. I wish I could hear that difference sometimes so I wouldn't get so angry with the judges about those placements.

As a drummer yourself, what do you think makes Rennick's percussion books so much more impressive than other caption heads' books? Specifically, do you think that Rennick's writing would have made PR's music GE scores that much better? Would love to hear your thoughts...

I think a new ending could definitely help Phantom max out this show. I wonder if they had one in mind from the get-go this season, always planning to insert a new ending late this summer.

Even with an omigod new ending, as much as I would love to see it happen, I don't see how Phantom can catch Blue Devils in just 2.5 weeks this year. It's very hard to win with a weak caption and just about impossible to do it if the corps ahead of you has no weak caption. You can't give up that much of an ordinal spread in one caption unless you can make it up somewhere else. If anyone's going to catch BD this year, and I think it's unlikely, it will be Crown.

Someone said it, but Regiment's 2008 win was due to the high percussion. It also helped that that came to the gate ready to throw down. I remember sitting the stands and feeling some serious vibe as the entered the field. I called it before the show officially started.