Oregon Crusaders Sending a hidden message

After just watching this show again from SA ... VERY CAREFULLY...... I think OC intends to go WC very very soon.

Here's why I think this. I'm not going to site every example .. I'll spell out a few and leave the rest for you to do when you watch it again.

Every single second of their show is a rip/omage of World Class corps shows .. except for one.

The music, drill moves, visual motif's ... everything is a statement from the design staff and performers saying .. WATCHOUT ... HERE WE COME!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU DO >>>> WE CAN DO IT TOO!

I don't think it's a greatest hits show. It's the message I posted above ... a clear message.

The one section of the show that wasn't a World Class corps reference (because the corps wasn't WC at the time) was from The Academy's show in 05 ... just after the Channel One section ... when the brass do a BK reference visually .. then end up in the ball doing the plume wag while the tuba is doing American in Paris. It's a 10 second reference .. but it's there and it's clear. It's ALL SO VERY CLEAR!

Really watch this show again. Pay close attention. It's all WC shows .. some as far back as 85 (Suncoast basses) ... Ballet for Martha mixed with Appalachian Spring ... yes I say mixed because they reference both SCV and Garfield in doing so both in the arrangements of the music and the visual sets themselves. It's absolutely friggin BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

On another note .. this corps is performing some small segments of the show at the level of Surf .. but visually, tempo changes, vocabulary and even musically .. they are outperforming PC. They might not have the volume yet .. but they're not a full corps either. My last viewing was extremely eye opening .. can't wait to read your comments. WATCH IT AGAIN! Hit pause alot ... take notes .. there's at least 15 shows referenced in this package. Maybe more ... I didn't take notes .. but I will next time.

Edited by supersop
  • Like 2

It's absolutely friggin BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

It really is :) "getting" the references makes it that much more fun....it stands all on its own, too.

It really is :) "getting" the references makes it that much more fun....it stands all on its own, too.

So true! I think that was made clear by all the great response from everyone .. and nobody really realizing what this corps was actually doing. I love it :devil:

After just watching this show again from SA ... VERY CAREFULLY...... I think OC intends to go WC very very soon.

Here's why I think this. I'm not going to site every example .. I'll spell out a few and leave the rest for you to do when you watch it again.

Every single second of their show is a rip/omage of World Class corps shows .. except for one.

The music, drill moves, visual motif's ... everything is a statement from the design staff and performers saying .. WATCHOUT ... HERE WE COME!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU DO >>>> WE CAN DO IT TOO!

I don't think it's a greatest hits show. It's the message I posted above ... a clear message.

The one section of the show that wasn't a World Class corps reference (because the corps wasn't WC at the time) was from The Academy's show in 05 ... just after the Channel One section ... when the brass do a BK reference visually .. then end up in the ball doing the plume wag while the tuba is doing American in Paris. It's a 10 second reference .. but it's there and it's clear. It's ALL SO VERY CLEAR!

Really watch this show again. Pay close attention. It's all WC shows .. some as far back as 85 (Suncoast basses) ... Ballet for Martha mixed with Appalachian Spring ... yes I say mixed because they reference both SCV and Garfield in doing so both in the arrangements of the music and the visual sets themselves. It's absolutely friggin BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

On another note .. this corps is performing some small segments of the show at the level of Surf .. but visually, tempo changes, vocabulary and even musically .. they are outperforming PC. They might not have the volume yet .. but they're not a full corps either. My last viewing was extremely eye opening .. can't wait to read your comments. WATCH IT AGAIN! Hit pause alot ... take notes .. there's at least 15 shows referenced in this package. Maybe more ... I didn't take notes .. but I will next time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This is funny.

You know, one of the best moments for me in the show is right after the "Sleep" opening when they go into their "Black" segment. There is this anger in that chart that just speaks of where this corps is coming from this season. It's in your face, very, very aggressive and speaks to the desire to not be a bridesmaid 3 seasons in-a-row. If I were a competitor and I heard that chart in the lot, I'd be a little more than nervous.

• Like 1

I haven't seen OC this year, but I always worry about Open Class corps entering World Class. The record doesn't fair well for them - Mandarins, Cascades, Pacific Crest, The Academy, Jersey Surf...the list goes on. And now all of these top Open Class corps are at the bottom of World Class.

There's no reason OC should move to World Class. They would become just another non-Finalist fatality. I'd hate to see this happen to such a great organization.

• Like 2

I haven't seen OC this year, but I always worry about Open Class corps entering World Class. The record doesn't fair well for them - Mandarins, Cascades, Pacific Crest, The Academy, Jersey Surf...the list goes on. And now all of these top Open Class corps are at the bottom of World Class.

There's no reason OC should move to World Class. They would become just another non-Finalist fatality. I'd hate to see this happen to such a great organization.

I totally get this. It's a different ball game trying to motivate/recruit kids when you're slugging it out at the bottom of a class as opposed to fighting for first place in another. That being said, I think the appearance fees definitely make WC more appealing to some of the top tiered OC corps that are trying to get their brand out there throughout the country.

To the man that shares my last name ... hit Fan Network and go to the San Antonio regional .. around the 44 minute mark of the stream feed. You'll see what we're talking about ... even a couple of nice SCV references in their show. All tastefully done.

Since when does not making finals make one a "fatality?" Sad perspective on so many great corps.

• Like 3

Is the 5-point timing penalty because the guard was late a retro rip/homage to someone, too?

Boy, that was painful to sit through. I'll bet someone got a good butt-chewing for that one.

Now...on to the show.

I like the opening set, now that the guard's there.