Who we've lost

Ok, taking North Star off and adding North Force.

I'm mostly taking people's word for it, but right now we're at 68 corps. There's 1 former Div I World Champ on that list (Star). Any former Div. II or Div III champs on there?

Patriots

East Coast Jazz

Didn't Kiwanis win a few times?

Americanos I'm sure

Yamato

Did Marion Glory ever win? They were around forever

Tarheel Sun if I remember correctly?

Ok, taking North Star off and adding North Force.

I'm mostly taking people's word for it, but right now we're at 68 corps. There's 1 former Div I World Champ on that list (Star). Any former Div. II or Div III champs on there?

East Cost Jazz and Patriots were div II Champs. Americanos were div III champs in 94. Some of the div II/III finalists from the 90's may have also been Div I quarterfinalists. Like us in 94

Les Etoiles won Div II in 96

Thank you. I remember that I forgot to put them on my earlier list. I will amend it to include them.

Makes you wonder how Mandarins and Pioneer have been able to stay afloat from OC to WC for do many years

Same with PC, who moved up awhile ago. Maybe it's just good, conservative fiscal management? Never over-extend their corps, and maybe a well connected donation network?

Corpsrep has a partial list of current Corps and defunct Corps.. both Junior and Senior ranks. I think it would be unfair to start just in the DCI era. Corpsreps has missed quite a few once active competing, but now defunct, Corps in their database too. That said, they list current and defunct Corps in the Junior ranks at 349 and in the Senior Ranks, 241. Thats a combined total of 581 Drum Corps in their data base. When we look at all the Corps that have started up, approx 1 out of 10 have made it to today since starting up. 88% of the Drum Corps that once started up died out for one reason or another.

22 Drum Corps that at one time or another since 1972 ( DCI's inception year )that were once good enough to make the coveted TOP 12 status at DCI Finals are no longer with us today competing in DCI.

This is a sad thread topic, unfortunately.

I think the most striking thing is that we're at nearly 75 corps just since the mid-90's!

Let's do a small estimate at approx 60 members per corps, that's over 4,000 kids who won't get to experience marching drum corps since the mid to late 90's ALONE!! Let that sink in! We've lost more corps in the last 15-20 years than are actively touring today. Wow!

How many of corps that folded in the last 15-20 years started during one of the economic boom times (mid-80s/late 90s)? Are we seeing a steady drop in the number of corps or was the total number of corps over-inflated and now correcting back to a more sustainable number?

• Like 1