The Bluecoats show is amazing this year

Why is this show not placing higher? Because I don't know!

I know, right? It's just a crazy stacked year. But here's a cool factoid for the coming years: 103 of the 150 members are new to the corps this year. Assuming the majority aren't age-outs, and of those already there about half (if not more) have some years left, if they can hold on to most of those kids, they're going to be scary good in the coming years.

Why is this show not placing higher? Because I don't know!

I still noticed quite a bit of dirt in the show, visually. That is probably why it isn't scoring higher. The design is awesome, but design isn't everything they are scored on.

I still noticed quite a bit of dirt in the show, visually. That is probably why it isn't scoring higher. The design is awesome, but design isn't everything they are scored on.

Visual is, once again, not their strongest suite. It is a lot better than it was last year, but there is still a GREAT deal of room for improvement (timing, consistency of technique, etc). It comes down to how hard they can push for that excellence at all times. Boost visual captions up to those around them and they could be making a move on even the Cadets.

I know, right? It's just a crazy stacked year. But here's a cool factoid for the coming years: 103 of the 150 members are new to the corps this year. Assuming the majority aren't age-outs, and of those already there about half (if not more) have some years left, if they can hold on to most of those kids, they're going to be scary good in the coming years.

The turn over for Coats always seems more than other Top corps... 103 is huge I think. Shouldn't it be closer to half or less than the membership? I don't really see Coats being a stepping stone corps. Maybe the can break into the top 3 again

Edited by charlie1223

I love the show too, only since Atlanta. Before that it really just didn't catch me. I'd have to say the same of Phantom as well, though.

I love the theme, too- for some reason it really hits home.

Watching them, the technique really weirds me out. When I finally noticed what they were doing I actually freaked out for a good five minutes.

The hornline is somehow one of the best I've ever heard from Bluecoats, even counting in '08 and '10 (which are two of my favorite shows of all time). I didn't realize they had so many rookies!

Also, the drum major is super cute.

• Like 3

The turn over for Coats always seems more than other Top corps... 103 is huge I think. Shouldn't it be closer to half or less than the membership? I don't really see Coats being a stepping stone corps. Maybe the can break into the top 3 again

I think it was a combo of having a good bit of age-outs in the class of 2011 and uncertainty about the staff turnover. That's more speculation than based in provable fact, but it's logical enough of a guess. I'm thinking that since they've established themselves again this year through all of that the recruiting will kick back up and they'll be back in contention for the title.

I think it was a combo of having a good bit of age-outs in the class of 2011 and uncertainty about the staff turnover. That's more speculation than based in provable fact, but it's logical enough of a guess. I'm thinking that since they've established themselves again this year through all of that the recruiting will kick back up and they'll be back in contention for the title.

Moreso ageouts and members not being able to march all-together. Very low/moderate turn-over rate to other corps.

Also, the drum major is super cute.

Taken. Sorry bud.

Edited by THeShadeOfNight
  • Like 1

When I first heard them on a VOD on the FN, I thought it was one of those things that was going to end up taken out within a week or two, and was entirely experimental. After watching the video, I'm glad it's in there. Maybe the best and most meaningful use of voice ever

I'm pleased to see this thread and agree that it has the most meaningful impact now after understanding WHAT the words actually mean. And more importantly WHO wrote those words and WHY. Blows me away. Yes, probably the most meaningful voice in a show - EVER! And for the record, I'd be saying the exact same thing if I were not a parent of a Bluecoat (rookie!) because it has that much impact. I have forwarded the video to many people and they have said the same. They have forwarded it on and the impact is over-powering to many people. To have thought of this show concept, added in the words and pulled it off deserves many compliments.