Dear Show Designers

It seems my opinion is not popular in this thread, which is fine, but there is nothing that I dislike more than a drum corps/marching band doing a poor job of playing pop music. Blech.

To each his own, though.

• Like 1

There is a reason there are not 60 horn players in Radiohead. The music isn't designed to sound good played by 60 horn players. It is is designed to sound good being played by a guitar and synth.

So this doesn't sound good to you?

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know about that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's all good.

• Like 1

Because I fear that drum corps might actually listen to it and start designing shows that feature a bunch of crappy pop music. :thumbdown:

There's plenty of crappy orchestral and jazz music out there, yet arrangers somehow manage to avoid it. Usually.

There is no music specifically designed for drum corps. Wind band is the closest but most of it is boring as hell. Arranging a pop song for drum corps is no less valid than choosing an operatic aria, a jazz trio, a symphony, a choral piece, etc. These are all genres with instrumentation that's radically different from drum corps, but they've all provided fantastic drum corps charts.

No it doesn't. You must have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that the only drum corps music that will sound good in drum corps is music that is designed for drum corps. I was saying that Radiohead music was designed to sound good when played on guitar and synth, and it DOESN'T sound good when played by 60 horn players.

As I said, I'm sure there is some contemporary popular music that would work well (I think Jersey Surf's show works well this year, for example), but the large majority of it wouldn't, in my opinion. Please, drum corps designers, don't ruin two of my favorite things (drum corps and Radiohead) by mixing them together in a distasteful way.

Sounds pretty good to me. Plus most fans. And the judges. Oh well . . . I'm not really a Radiohead fan, so maybe I'm missing what's "tasteless" about it. I know you guys can be pretty finicky.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/153043-dear-show-designers/page__view__findpost__p__3192701

Can you give me an example of a good sounding pop song performed by a drum corps, that was originally written for guitar and synth?

In the Presence of Enemies, Part 1 by Dream Theater. Performed by Teal Sound in 2010. The show also included Feed the Wheel by Jordan Rudess (on of the best keyboard/synth players on the planet), and The Running Free by Coheed & Cambria.

What about Beautiful, by Christina Aguilara? Teal played that as a ballad in 2009 (along with some Janet Jackson, Coldplay, Blue Man Group, and Justin Timberlake)

It seems my opinion is not popular in this thread, which is fine, but there is nothing that I dislike more than a drum corps/marching band doing a poor job of playing pop music. Blech.

To each his own, though.

As opposed to doing a poor job of playing anything else? What's the difference?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's all good.

No way, man. You don't get to drop in a fallacious argument and then call it an opinion. At least be intellectually honest enough to stay on topic.

You say "Show me where X worked in Z condition," in order to argue that X CAN NEVER work in Z condition, when the past has literally no bearing on whether X can or will ever work in Z condition. This is fallacy.

In the interest of discussion, what if anything would you like to see, programmatically in the future?

• Like 2

It's not terrible. The arrangement is really good. But there are still moments in it where I cringe, to be honest with you.

I think that would fit into one of the rare circumstances where it works pretty well. Notice that they slowed it down quite a bit and stretched the notes out quite a bit. Also, notice that when they get to the chorus, they make drastic changes, which I think was smart. Playing the chorus to Creep would have sounded really cheesy, in my opinion.

I just don't think you can do that with very many songs, and I don't know that there are many people smart enough to arrange it as well as the Bluecoats designers did.

To be fair, this arrangement was basically lifted from the chorale arrangement -- not from the original chart, but you're in the right place. This worked really well.

I think someone did Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" maybe 5 years ago, and it was pretty OK.

No way, man. You don't get to drop in a fallacious argument and then call it an opinion. At least be intellectually honest enough to stay on topic.

You say "Show me where X worked in Z condition," in order to argue that X CAN NEVER work in Z condition, when the past has literally no bearing on whether X can or will ever work in Z condition. This is fallacy.

In the interest of discussion, what if anything would you like to see, programmatically in the future?

Uh oh....you brought out the lawyer in him! (at least if I remember correctly you're a lawyer lol)