Dear Show Designers

There has been some excellent "pop" music created in the past 20 years. Take a look at what's out there -- you might be surprised. Do something new and daring, and create something that will cause people to feel something and something that they will actually want to listen to on their iPods. I've included below some examples of tunes that I think could work on some level. Check em out -- melody, atmosphere, musicianship... it's all there. It IS possible to take ourselves a bit less seriously, but still perform music that is fun. I hope you see what I mean.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Me

Yes! You know those facebook posts that have a picture of The Beatles and then a Picture of Nicki Mainaj and says "What happened to Music?" or "I'm 13 and I'm sorry what my generation has done to music." It's seriously a bunch of BS (Not Blue Stars!). There is Amazing current/Pop Music being written and performed! You just have to not be pretentious to see!

I disagree with your comment about the Wind Band. Some of it very VERY Awesome. But it's definitely a good idea for Designers to explore enjoyable modern/Pop music.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

How the heck did you know I was listening to Sam's Town right this very moment...

• Like 2

Not sure what you mean by the Bluecoats rehashing "old hits" unless you mean the Phantom of the Opera peice, but I will move on from the point.

One reason may be costs and copyright rules. Many of the classical pieces, I think, are public domain, and would be less expensive, maybe free, for a corps to perform. Just an idea.

BloooTubaDad

If you want Pop go watch Empty Vee. I am so glad there is something like drum corps that exposes people to interesting music in other time signatures and tonalities than the banal and insipid that is corporate media.

Fair enough, although MTV doesn't play music anymore.

I'm just saying that when designers create shows with "interesting," "atonal" music, the product doesn't generally appeal to me. They largely overreach on some aesthetic level, and it ends up being... forgettable.

• Like 1

If you want Pop go watch Empty Vee. I am so glad there is something like drum corps that exposes people to interesting music in other time signatures and tonalities than the banal and insipid that is corporate media.

Time Signature? Really? lol Great music has been written in 4/4 just as not so great music has been written in 7+3/16.

How can you, being of such an open mind to music, can shut down on music becuase of the time signature its written in, the tonalities used, or whether its genere can be categorized as "Pop" or not. Good music is good music. Bad music, is bad music.

In your words... Shouldn't Drum Corps expose its audience to as wide a variety as possible? To show that good music can come from anywhere and that interesting music CAN come from even big names and modern artists? It's one thing to be a Dino and it's another to be SUPER Drum Corps Hipster! lol

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 4