Let's bring it for open class!

Agree, and that is why it is dying. with no organized activism or vision it will fade away

DCI should not engage in "activism"; DCI should only monitor, advise, and provide a venue service. It is up to the individual corps Boards to run a solvent organization which fits into the criteria of DCI. Many corps are dying, I will concede that, but DCI is not dying (see how many fans just attended the Atlanta show); and the vision of DCI is quite sound.

DCI should not engage in "activism"; DCI should only monitor, advise, and provide a venue service. It is up to the individual corps Boards to run a solvent organization which fits into the criteria of DCI. Many corps are dying, I will concede that, but DCI is not dying (see how many fans just attended the Atlanta show); and the vision of DCI is quite sound.

The crowd a one or two shows does not make a success. 1980 85 corps at finals, 1990 66 corps at finals,2000 68 corps at finals (31 in div 3),2010 39 corps at finals,2012 35 corps,

when will it be ok to talk about doing something? when we have less than 20 corps? that might be 4 years away.

• Like 1

The crowd a one or two shows does not make a success. 1980 85 corps at finals, 1990 66 corps at finals,2000 68 corps at finals (31 in div 3),2010 39 corps at finals,2012 35 corps,

when will it be ok to talk about doing something? when we have less than 20 corps? that might be 4 years away.

However: a) the 'paying' audience attendance is up all over the country at the various shows since 1980; and b) the crowds at DCI Finals back in the day actually consisted of non-ticket buying performers from a lot of those plethora of corps who did not make it into finals.

Well I have to chime in and say what is drum corps about? Ticket purchasing audience or an opportunity for youth to do something extraordinary and character building? If corps are disappearing, as they appear to be quite markedly, then this opportunity for youth obviously is too.

• Like 1

I'm an Open Class alum, and love to see people support us. Even at Finals, it sucked to have empty or near-empty stadiums. I always make it a point to support the Open Class corps by being there from the first corps to the last one, they deserve out support. Can't wait to see the VODs from Michigan City, to see how everyone does. It looks like any of 4 corps could win the title this year, it will be very interesting.

GO SCVC! :thumbup:

Shows that I really want to see:

Legends - The story of the Edmund Fitzgerald has always been one that's intrigued me, very interested to see how they put this on the field.

Music City - Fun fun FUN! Their shows always provide a vast rep. that doesn't disappoint.

7th Regiment - The show theme is intriguing, and they have a guard that's scoring like they'll be in the top 2 or 3. Excited to see what music they chose to represent the theme with none coming from the source of the show title, Les Miserables.

Genesis - I'm a sucker for dark shows, and I loved it in San Antonio. Excited to see the progress since then! Drumline is scoring VERY well right now along with the rest of the music caption.

The top 4. All AMAZING groups that always entertain, no "intellectual" shows, just good drum corps.

I'm of course excited to see all of the corps, but those REALLY peak my interest, more than some World Class. Should be some great shows! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Shows that I really want to see:

Legends - The story of the Edmund Fitzgerald has always been one that's intrigued me, very interested to see how they put this on the field.

Music City - Fun fun FUN! Their shows always provide a vast rep. that doesn't disappoint.

7th Regiment - The show theme is intriguing, and they have a guard that's scoring like they'll be in the top 2 or 3. Excited to see what music they chose to represent the theme with none coming from the source of the show title, Les Miserables.

Genesis - I'm a sucker for dark shows, and I loved it in San Antonio. Excited to see the progress since then! Drumline is scoring VERY well right now along with the rest of the music caption.

The top 4. All AMAZING groups that always entertain, no "intellectual" shows, just good drum corps.

I'm of course excited to see all of the corps, but those REALLY peak my interest, more than some World Class. Should be some great shows! :thumbup:

Thanks DrumManTx and fsubone for bringin' some enthusiasm for these open class shows that kids have been sleeping on floors all summer to perform for us! I can't wait to see these shows either and I'll be right there for finals in Michigan City rooting for my Oregon homies but also loving all the shows! Open class gonna rock the house. Was there last year as well and the crowd was very good but of course the venue is the size of a large high school stadium.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

I'm VERY supportive of Open Class! The only reason me or most don't say much (Not to beat a dead horse), is because we don't know anything about them til the end of the season! WHY ISN'T a show like tonight's being broadcasted when almost all the Open corps are performing? I woulda watched it for sure! Didn't say much about open in my San Antonio review, but 4 strong shows!

That is SO true that FN like doesn't even know open class exists and it's frustrating because I don't know anything about these other shows either... except what DrumManTx just posted and what I saw from San Antonio. Good point. I don't know what the production costs are to film a show, but for my $65 it would be nice to get at least ONE open class show that includes all the corps competing BEFORE finals week.