I've come to the conclusion...

That DCI and it's adjudication system is self serving, assinine, and a huge joke. There is absolutely no way this activity can be judged fairly and I personally think we should do away with the competition aspect of the activity once and for all. Would you still attend a show if there were no scores?

Reads:

I like Carolina Crown and they should be winning. I don't like Blue Devils and they should all go pound sand.

Jasgre and fsubone: Forgive me, but who said ANYTHING about entertainment on the sheets in this thread? Yeah, nobody.

You are both putting words where they didn't happen.

Well ... I did, for one.

If the complaint isn't about entertainment (the complaint that is commonly heard here), then what are you complaining about?

You are correct. "Audience Engagement", which is now on the sheet, has nothing to do with a positive reaction. You can be engaged by Crown and think "holy crap, this is ridiculous" while being engaged by BD and going, "this show is amazing and wild, what the heck are they doing out there?" Both are valid reactions, and both fit the audience engagement line on the sheet.

Now, if you want a line that says, "this corps makes me want to stand up and throw babies" then you lose the integrity of the sheet and put emotional weight over intellectual. While this appeals to many, its not what DCI judging is, and should be about.

We all have different tastes: some people like Van Gogh and Dali, while others like Renoir and da Vinci. Some like Heminway, while others like Ayn Rand and JRR Tolkien. etc,etc...

The sheets have to cover all aspects of high art performance, from aesthetics to abstract. It would be a disservice to the corps and the DCI community if it changed in this direction. It may not make you or toehrs happy, but it is the most fair we can be for all corps involved.. :smile:

Amen!

• Like 1

Well ... I did, for one.

If the complaint isn't about entertainment (the complaint that is commonly heard here), then what are you complaining about?

I think a lot of people are upset about the inconsistency we've seen the past few weeks. Entertainment has nothing to do with this.

I wasn't complaining, the people before you were. And you threw words in their mouths (not mine) by assuming something that might not be true.

I doubt you can read their mind, so why jump in here and start assuming? Just like you are with me right now. :)

Edited by IMcomguy

The sheets have to cover all aspects of high art performance, from aesthetics to abstract. It would be a disservice to the corps and the DCI community if it changed in this direction. It may not make you or toehrs happy, but it is the most fair we can be for all corps involved.. :smile:

I guess it's this idea of drum corps being "high art" that started us on the road to taking ourselves way too seriously.

High art doesn't appeal to the masses. Neither, unfortunately, does drum corps. So you have a niche activity trying to narrow its appeal to an even smaller niche audience? From a standpoint of fan support, that's a recepie for disaster.

• Like 3

I think a lot of people are upset about the inconsistency we've seen the past few weeks. Entertainment has nothing to do with this.

I wasn't complaining, the people before you were. And you threw words in their mouths (not mine) by assuming something that might not be true.

I doubt you can read their mind, so why jump in here and start assuming? Just like you are with me right now. :)

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it is YOU that is putting words in people's mouths? People complain about how shows aren't entertaining all the time on this board.

And I don't get your point about inconsistency. What inconsistency? There has been very little movement between corps the entire year. If you are talking about caption placement, if you look at the scores ... they are often so close that it is not surprising at all that the rankings in the individual captions vary widely from night to night. You can't possibly expect that corps are going to perform exactly the same way every night, can you?

• Like 1

I guess it's this idea of drum corps being "high art" that started us on the road to taking ourselves way too seriously.

High art doesn't appeal to the masses. Neither, unfortunately, does drum corps. So you have a niche activity trying to narrow its appeal to an even smaller niche audience? From a standpoint of fan support, that's a recepie for disaster.

What is wrong with "high art"? Why should we be discouraging corps that want to be artistic from being artistic? It is this effort to dumb down drum corps that is really discouraging to me. I just don't get it ... sorry.

Are you suggesting that corps are too artistic because of the judging sheet?

• Like 1

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it is YOU that is putting words in people's mouths? People complain about how shows aren't entertaining all the time on this board.

But not in this thread so far.

Peace, keep preaching.

Would you pay a few thousand dollars for the privilege of busting your arse at camps/practices, then take busses across the country, sleep on gym floors, etc for the opportunity to do 28-38 exhibitions( not compete ) over a 9 week summer ? Personally,I'd have no interest in doing exhibitions at all.

Exactly. For example, many if not most (not all mind you) musicians who play in corps that don't finish as high as other corps aspire to move up to a more competitive corps, therefore honing their skills and pushing themselves with the corps they're in to get better. If you've attended or participated in even one rehearsal day in the late season of a competitive drum corps, you know they aren't workIng that hard in that heat for an exhibition.

What makes corps get better is the chance at moving up even one spot in one category/caption in a performance. There has to be a competitive component to drive them to get better.