East Rutherford Show

There are no amped solos in the Cavaliers show this year.

Really? If i remember their mello is usually has a microphone. At least the sound comes out the speakers

Really? If i remember their mello is usually has a microphone. At least the sound comes out the speakers

The soloist is midfield, nowhere close to a mic.

I wonder what would happen if DCI made it a rule that every corps had to do one contest a year completely unplugged? I think that could be pretty cool, since most of the electronic stuff doesn't really seem to be a "necessity", but more as an add-on on top of the normal show.

It would take the directors themselves to vote that in, since the corps are DCI. For many, it would be like telling corps they would have to do a show without a pit, as to some the pit is not a "necessity," but more as an add-on on top of the normal show.

Marimbas + rain? Hmmmm...

All corps have synthetic keys. Some practice with those and play with wood and some use synthetic keys for everything. But every corps that has a set of wooden keys for each marimba also has a set of synthetic keys that is impervious to moisture.

• Like 1

The soloist is midfield, nowhere close to a mic.

The horn had a portable mic on it. Cavaliers used it in Allentown. Someone else did one too, but I don't remember who.

I didn't realize those were legal -- and I don't like it.

The horn had a portable mic on it. Cavaliers used it in Allentown. Someone else did one too, but I don't remember who.

I didn't realize those were legal -- and I don't like it.

Every single mic'd solo had some kind of digital effect on it, especially those that were during sections of the music where you wouldn't normally mic anything. Only Blue Devils are micing stuff for volume (the corps is playing flat out behind them). They had some nice reverb on them as well.

I only heard one solo that was mic'd and dry (and it sounded awful). Whoever that was added effects for the second half of it. Lower tier corps, cant recall which. For those budding sound techs out there, never, ever amplify a soloist without *some* kind of effect on it, like reverb. Dry amplified brass sounds unnatural.

Best use of mic'd effects was Surf during LMFAO. That trio was amazing.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

All corps have synthetic keys. Some practice with those and play with wood and some use synthetic keys for everything. But every corps that has a set of wooden keys for each marimba also has a set of synthetic keys that is impervious to moisture.

ah, Michael. 'tis not necessarily true!

2 sets yes, but no synthetics here rolleyes.gif