East Rutherford Show

Just a couple of random thoughts from tonight...The corps were all HOT tonight in East Rutherford....I don't think anyone was flat...absolutely incredible show actually...Phantom pulled CG off field mid-show...Crown and BD and Cadets plugged in...Cavies did not plug-in and skipped their last little dance routine....BAC played in the rain...Crown visual is incredibly good now...I feel BD may have peaked...no mass brass and no routine ensemble and solo stuff that I saw....Scanning of tix in VIP was ridiculous...2 different scans in and out...pricing of food outrageous...$7.50 for a large coke and $5 for a bottled water...no umbrellas allowed so I saw people throwing them in garbage to get into stadium...skipped Star Spangled Banner...PR took forever to get to field and set-up their podium...Crowd was getting anxious around me about it....my friend said to me...gosh I never heard a crowd go this crazy over BAC before...lol...Crown was just magnificent tonight!...I like Bluecoats show MORE without electronics...it was awesome hearing the soloists tonight from various corps with microphones NOT attached...I was confused about the stadium security lined up in front of the pit blocking the view for the people sitting in the lower level?...Did they think the crowd was going to start throwing babies perhaps?...Some guy complained that I was sitting on the edge of my chair and blocking his picture taking when he was 4 rows HIGHER than me...lol...my phone fell out of my pocket in car so I didn't have it to tweet tonight...even with all the issues of getting WET several times...I absolutely had a blast...The corps really put out for us tonight and even more so than A-town...oh and bathroom facilities were 10x better in Lexus VIP lounge than downstairs?...lol

bathrooms were pretty sweet. And I love having a young man hand me towels after I wash my hands. just what I expect a drum corps show :P

Cavies soloists are NOT amped/miked Just left tour with them. Absolutely not. No mikes, no amps for soloists.

Edited by xtripleplayer77
  • Like 2

BC - Nice show. Loved the music. My first thought was Star 91' but BC brought their own take on it. I didn't really like the guard staging that much - the men/rifles in particular. They were always grouped together and just floated around the field together. The hornline was great. Nice clarity in the difficult sections. Just need more "umph" on the impacts. Not sure if they had the full pit + the wet turf.

SCV - Awesome. Beautiful show. The guard costumes look a bit more polished. I think they added to them. Drumline was sick! (good way). Horn sound was the best I've heard from them in a while. Warm sound. Missing the electronics

Phantom - I really wanted to see the full show. I heard they added a new beginning and the helmets on the spears around the field is awesome. The stadium was playing Black eyed peas while they were walking in. So annoying! They kinda did their entrance but not really. Not much else to say since the performance wasn't complete. But we were all pumped when the hornline and drumline kept going.

Bluecoats - No electronics but it was so mice to hear the hornline exposed that way. I was hoping the other corps would do the same but the amps came out and my dreams were crushed. Bloo was great though. The walk-on was odd at first - it seemed like some of the horn line members did a great job playing the part then some others just look awkward just trying. I love how they have such a distinct "Bloo" sound. The chord progressions speak their identity. The guard was pretty impressive. They had some great features through out the show. I was really a fan of the masks thrown everywhere at the end. I looked down and it was a messy field. I hope they reevaluate that.

CC - Amazing show. Definitely deserve what they're getting (in the top ranks I mean). Hornline is mind blowing. There were some not so clean parts but then again it was pretty slick out there. Drums were good. Not the attention grabber like SCV or BD but just good. I thought the drums all over the stadium was gonna blow my mind but it didn't. Timing was off and it didn't give the impact I expected it to have. Guard was good. Definitely much better than I thought from watching on VOD. They were doing some silly things I never really noticed before. Some of it cool/fitting the show. Others, just funny in odd "did that just happen" kinda way

Cavies - At first I thought the guard was wearing the tshirts from the souvi truck. Then I realized they dumped the silver jackets and added the sleeves. I wish the color went all the way up the arm. The guard was really selling the show for me. They were performing the heck out of the show. Drums were good too. Love the battery during the ending. The horn line just needs more life. IMO, they're not delivering as much as the rest of the corps. I looked over to the big screen and watched the drum major and he even looks over it already. They need to dump the ballad. It feels like a HS marching band chart. Maybe because every time I hear the song, it reminds me of Irene Cara singing it on Fame - or worst yet a karaoke tune.

BD - Amazing show as well. I can see why people are turned off by it. So many random things happening throughout the show. I just ended up laughing at how extreme they are. Phasing problems with the "21st Century"esque theme. I didn't really notice the horses that much. The hoops are genius! Most of the people around me had 1st viewing of every corps tonight. BD actually got a lot of ohh and ahhs. The duck call was a bit TOO loud. The talking wasn't distracting at all - It's very cinematic (thats just a personal taste). The random drum judge was a little odd but then again - it was exhibition.

Cadets - I actually really like the show. I found it very entertaining. The guard was good but I wished they didn't have the 2 layers of costumes in the beginning. When ballad came and they only had one layer, I thought they stool out more. Poor guard members trying to climb the slide. They were slipping a lot. Horn book is typical Cadets flare. I didn't like the trumpet ensemble sound in the opener. Just lost a lot of clarity so the integrity of the song didn't come through. Still cracking on the solos. Like the Cadets screamers! Good balance with the rest of the ensemble. Drum were a surprise. They are better than what I expected. Great feature.

• Like 2

Cavies soloists are NOT amped/miked Just left tour with them. Absolutely not. No mikes, no amps for soloists.

Then it's pretty magical how I CLEARLY heard the mello solo come out of BOTH amps .... overpowering everything else on the field including the pit. Just sayin. I was dead on the 50 in row 29. It was clear as a bell.... especially when the soloist is on the 50 and you're getting the sound in Stereo from the 35's.

Just a couple of random thoughts from tonight...The corps were all HOT tonight in East Rutherford....I don't think anyone was flat...absolutely incredible show actually...Phantom pulled CG off field mid-show...Crown and BD and Cadets plugged in...Cavies did not plug-in and skipped their last little dance routine....BAC played in the rain...Crown visual is incredibly good now...I feel BD may have peaked...no mass brass and no routine ensemble and solo stuff that I saw....Scanning of tix in VIP was ridiculous...2 different scans in and out...pricing of food outrageous...$7.50 for a large coke and $5 for a bottled water...no umbrellas allowed so I saw people throwing them in garbage to get into stadium...skipped Star Spangled Banner...PR took forever to get to field and set-up their podium...Crowd was getting anxious around me about it....my friend said to me...gosh I never heard a crowd go this crazy over BAC before...lol...Crown was just magnificent tonight!...I like Bluecoats show MORE without electronics...it was awesome hearing the soloists tonight from various corps with microphones NOT attached...I was confused about the stadium security lined up in front of the pit blocking the view for the people sitting in the lower level?...Did they think the crowd was going to start throwing babies perhaps?...Some guy complained that I was sitting on the edge of my chair and blocking his picture taking when he was 4 rows HIGHER than me...lol...my phone fell out of my pocket in car so I didn't have it to tweet tonight...even with all the issues of getting WET several times...I absolutely had a blast...The corps really put out for us tonight and even more so than A-town...oh and bathroom facilities were 10x better in Lexus VIP lounge than downstairs?...lol

Your post cracked me up. You captured a lot of my drum corps viewing experiences w/ your random observations.

Cavies - At first I thought the guard was wearing the tshirts from the souvi truck. Then I realized they dumped the silver jackets and added the sleeves. I wish the color went all the way up the arm. The guard was really selling the show for me. They were performing the heck out of the show. Drums were good too. Love the battery during the ending. The horn line just needs more life. IMO, they're not delivering as much as the rest of the corps. I looked over to the big screen and watched the drum major and he even looks over it already. They need to dump the ballad. It feels like a HS marching band chart. Maybe because every time I hear the song, it reminds me of Irene Cara singing it on Fame - or worst yet a karaoke tune.

BD - Amazing show as well. I can see why people are turned off by it. So many random things happening throughout the show. I just ended up laughing at how extreme they are. Phasing problems with the "21st Century"esque theme. I didn't really notice the horses that much. The hoops are genius! Most of the people around me had 1st viewing of every corps tonight. BD actually got a lot of ohh and ahhs. The duck call was a bit TOO loud. The talking wasn't distracting at all - It's very cinematic (thats just a personal taste). The random drum judge was a little odd but then again - it was exhibition.

Agree 100% w/ the above. BTW your pics are great.

...PR took forever to get to field and set-up their podium...

Maybe the stadium is a union shop and they had to hire some locals to do set up work, so the guys didn't know what they were doing? They looked like they had no idea how to lock that ladder into place.

:doh:

Fred O.

No, PR it seems forgot their podium, or decided last minute to use it as it came on well after the corps was on the field. Stadium workers did not have to do any setup of breakdown of any corps.

two years in a row the TOC finale has rain issues.

someone sending a message?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Well last year the rained was perfectly timed as it started at the beginning of intermission and was over by the next corps.