Fan Network

I just bought a $40 membership to the FN, does anybody know if Allentown will be posted anytime? The most recent show I have in 2012 is Atlanta...

I just bought a $40 membership to the FN, does anybody know if Allentown will be posted anytime? The most recent show I have in 2012 is Atlanta...

Allentown VOD will be posted, but it has not been announced when. They are running behind as Atlanta was posted yesterday nine days after the show. As discussed in several FN threads, it's a small crew, they're very busy this week with two additional live streaming webcasts in two locations (which are the higher priority), and rendering each corps' performance video is a very time-consuming and glitchy process. You may see it this week, but my guess is not until next week possibly even after semifinals is available VOD.

• Like 1

I haven't checked anyone else from Saturday but is SCV really blurry (like, 1976 high cam blurry) for anyone else?

I haven't checked anyone else from Saturday but is SCV really blurry (like, 1976 high cam blurry) for anyone else?

It's not just SCV or Saturday. Both Allentown shows appear to me to be SD, not HD, and the softness is most noticeable on the nighttime performances. J. Birney Crum Stadium does not have TV-ready field lighting (or broadband-uploading capacity) so I'm not sure it would have been much better even if an HD high-cam had been there.

Never said that. Having the older vids is nice, but again, the value is in the ability to see the performances as they happen (or soon thereafter). DCI acknowledges this in their marketing.

Why not contact DCI directly instead of complaining on a message board that I'm pretty sure is not being frequented by those that run the service?

• Like 1

Why not contact DCI directly instead of complaining on a message board that I'm pretty sure is not being frequented by those that run the service?

Drumcat reads these forums on a regular basis, even to the extent that he lurks (and posts) in show threads of regionals where he's working for immediate feedback.

Edited by Kamarag

Drumcat reads these forums on a regular basis, even to the extent that he lurks (and posts) in show threads of regionals where he's working for immediate feedback.

But do you think you would receive and answer faster posting on a forum with multiple threads a day, or by sending him an email or a PM? I mean I understand that you want results because of the money you paid but let's remember these guys are on the road too, internet service and upload speeds vary greatly from town to town.

• Like 1

I thoroughly appreciate the work that the Fan Network team does with the limited resources. Being a tech guy, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see all that they go through to bring us the shows live and VOD. Simple fact is that it takes a ton of time to render 8 hours of video into multiple formats. I've seen it take almost a whole night to render a 1 hour video on a PC that was built for video editing. Not to mention, the rendering process often times isn't flawless... There's nothing like watching a video back that took hours to render, only to find out that there's a glitch, skips, freezes or that the audio inexplicably doesn't line up with the video. I've seen all of the above happen.

On top of that, it takes many hours (if not days depending on the Internet infrastructure where they're at) to upload gigabytes of video to the Fan Network interface. This might be the age of Wi-Fi and iPhones, but you're not uploading gigabytes of video using either of those. It takes a serious high speed connection to upload that much data, and you're generally not going to find those connections at a truck stop, McDonalds or Holiday Inn...

This is so true as I've worked with a lot of video myself!