Teal Drum Corps

The reason for the name Teal....they are in Jacksonville, FL home to the Jacksonville Jaguars whose colors are black, and you guessed it, Teal. I'm guessing some of the original seed money came from some higher ups with the team. Possibly the same is true this time as well.

But I agree, FL is cursed and so is that name. Pick something else.

Wikipedia article on Jacksonville

How about First Coast?

Has the Teal Sound been dissolved? If not, it seems like there could be some trademark issues with the new organization using such a similar name and insignia (unless the same people are behind both organizations ... in which case, this is just a poorly conceived attempt to cover past mistakes). This seems like something that is, while well-intentioned, premature.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

Seriously, now; it sounds like this group has their heart in the right place and they deserve our best wishes, and I know that everyone on DCP is very eager to give them that.

Boo: I have very high respect for you but not everyone on DCP is very eager to give them that. I do not give a rats whatever about their (Teal Adult Administration) "hearts" or their "feelings". This is not about 'their hearts desire' to provide music, art, travel, performances, etc... this is about their lack of adult supervision over the solvency of a corporation in which the lives, safety, welfare of youth were put in their charge. Emergency situations are one thing, but that was not the case; running the corporation the way they did was "not" actually looking out for the best interest of the youth; and THAT was, and is, the major issue for me. And wanting to see a patient, methodical, well planned, solid corporation ran as a solid business, with the corporation solvent enough to never allow what happened to ever happen again, is what I am eager to see.

• Like 2

Maybe it's me but since Teal has only been gone for a few weeks (and especially seeing how appeared to unravel) is it at all possible that a sufficiently good business plan has been developed, to engender trust in the abilities of a new organization? Mind you the 2012 DCI season is not yet over!

I would be concerned there is again an endevour being pursued, built on hopes rather than reality. I wish them all the best but I should think a truly vetted and viable busines plan and a realistic, acheivable mission statement has been composed; along with a board of directors and an executive corps leadership/structure is assembled before they go too much further. Maybe this announcement is a bit premature. Want some advice? Slow this down.

Well they didn't come out and announce they would, in fact, be touring to finals this year. Really nothing more than a statement of intent as I see it, which takes no business model at all.

Well they didn't come out and announce they would, in fact, be touring to finals this year. Really nothing more than a statement of intent as I see it, which takes no business model at all.

Disagree with ya here: Making a Statement of Intent "without" a business model/plan is. IMO, very foolish.

Disagree with ya here: Making a Statement of Intent "without" a business model/plan is. IMO, very foolish.

I guess I'll give you that one considering my total lack of business experience. Not my forte, but at the same time, I can see the value of the announcement in so far as they probably want to generate SOME interest as soon as possible before the collective sense is so much dust in the wind.

I am not, nor have ever been, affiliated with the organization at Teal Sound. I have a lot of respect for many of the people involved in the organization, and I wish Teal the absolute best, but I am not in a position to accept (or espouse) advice in regard to the corps. As long as more kids close to my house are having a good summer, it's a good thing, and if Teal can re-establish its professional reputation, all the better.

Hi Holton,

I wasn't directing my response to/at you but more relative to what you had posted. Kind of thinking out loud and hoping someone from Teal (the new Teal) would be listening. I am sure there are many people involved with this organization who have the best interest at heart. But I have lived through the rebirth of BAC in the "Boston" days and can speak from experience, that being conservative and patient is paramount to future success. It also takes a lot of people to make it work. Plan, plan, plan, then execute the plan rigoroulsy.

Too bad "Phoenix" has already been used (as in rising from the ashes and all that). at least 10 times as far as i can tell.

There is a certain amount of irony in this.

So, Teal Sound has not said anything officially about disbanding, it that correct? I have a feeling some fired-up up alums and/or staff had a few beers and decided to "restart" the corps under a new name. Teal Drum Corps FaceBook page strikes me as someone's pipe dream. If you look at Teal Sound's page, they are coordinating getting 2012 members their finals wristbands and age-out ceremony info out there. No mention of a rebirth under a new name. Remember, anyone can start a FaceBook page for anything....it takes five minutes.