A special night Friday evening

I've known about this for a little while, but got more details today. Friday night after prelims performances are done, DCI as part of their 40th anniversary celebration will be honoring some of the legendary soloists of the early DCI era. Pete Bond (of Phantom Regiment) Bonnie Ott (of the Blue Devils) Jim Brady (of the Bridgemen) and Hunter Moss (of Spirit of Atlanta) will be recognized.

Each of these folks probably launched many a drum corps career as people watched them play and dreamed of being "that guy" (or "that girl" Bonnie.. :thumbup: )

Hunter and I marched together for four years and not only was he a great player but a wonderful showman as well. Each of these amazing performers created some of the most spectacular memories of DCI's first few decades. I had hoped to get up to see prelims and this ceremony honoring these guys but silly day jobs and band rehearsals will not allow me to do that. I'm hoping that DCI will make some recording of it available, but if not, I'm hoping that some of you guys will get some pictures and recordings of the evening as well and make them available so we can all enjoy that recognition of our friends and colleagues.

Thanks to DCI and Bob Jacobs for putting this tribute to these guys together. And please moderators, let's don't let this devolve into an argument about who should have been included. There are many that are worthy of the honor and some that were invited that couldn't make it work. Let's all just celebrate these amazing performers and the wonderful memories they all created for thousands of us over the years, whether we watched them from the stands, or performed with them each night.

All the best to all the corps for a WONDERFUL final run whenever that happens for them and best wishes to all the fans and friends who get to enjoy the final week with them this year.

Have a great week folks, we'll be watching Thursday night from the theatre for our "fix" for finals week.

AA

• Like 4

I wonder why Barbara Maroney isn't included?

Man, I was lucky enough to march the same years Hunter and Barbara were playing with SoA and Garfield. I got chills every time they played. Even as a bari, I idolized Hunter and was lucky enough to finally meet him at DCA finals in '03 when I was with the 'Gades. Which is how I was lucky enough to meet Bonnie.

1984 Garfield Cadets (WSS- I have a Love). Barbara at the beginning and at the 1:11 mark:

1984 SoA (Blues in the Night) Hunter comes in at the 5:08 and 6:31 marks. (Actually, all their soloists were great in '84):

• Like 1

Fred Bell?

Chris Metzger?

I forgot the name of the famous guy from the 1970's Cabelleros...

Edited by FlamMan

Maroney and Moss, botn incredible soloists. Man Bugels sound crazy good. Moss's solo at 6:31 is jaw dropping good. Good lord he could rip!