Live Blog from DCI World Championship Prelims

Mike i wasn't able to follow it all the time, but what I saw was good

biased but good

:tongue:

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Interesting. In the live stream thread, Kamarag wrote:

"Ok, I gotta be honest, there's no way Spartans should have beaten Raiders, Gold, Legends, Music City, or 7th Regiment in any music caption. Guard, effect visual and maybe ensemble visual, sure. But Effect music, ensemble music, brass and percussion? No way."

Who's right?

Do understand that was based strictly off the live feed. I have only seen a couple of those corps live. It's entirely possible that Spartans sounded great live, but they sure didn't on the feed. They looked crazy good though.

At least one drum corps circuit rewards entertainment. If what wins over and over leaves more people confused then clapping, then DCI isn't going to be doing so well in the future.

Mike i wasn't able to follow it all the time, but what I saw was good

biased but good

:tongue:

Is that your unbiased opinion? :rolleyes:

Ugghhh ... anyone else have to deal with ###### bag drum corps fans during the theater show? My theater was not very full, but a bunch of high school marching band kids were there to see some of their friends who were marching in various corps, including the Blue Devils. Sitting right in front of them is this big middle age guy with a Troopers shirt on that yells out as the announcers are talking about the Blue Devils, "Their Show Sucks!" at the top of his lungs, as if the whole world cared what his opinion about the Blue Devils was.

I was pretty disappointed with the theater show overall, to be honest. Not only do you have to deal with obnoxious people making rude comments during the show, but I wasn't that impressed with the video quality. I thought the shows look much better on the high quality internet stream on my HD TV.

As for the weather, not much DCI could do about it ... although how often do you see an ESPN or other TV broadcast of a live event go out because of weather? I am positive they could have avoided the technical problems if they had better equipment. It might have been cost prohibitive to get better satellite equipment though. I'm guessing the stadium has a fiber connection (being as new as it is) ... they should look into finding out if they could use that to avoid weather problems in the future. Didn't they have weather problems last year too?

The corps were all impressive. It felt like everyone stepped up tonight. I was surprised that Crown wasn't closer to BD. I thought they were phenomenal tonight, and wouldn't have been surprised if they had beaten BD tonight (though I like BD's show better than Crown's this year). The spread was bigger than I thought though, and it looks like BD winning is a foregone conclusion.

"Who's your Dada" - Steve Radeneiro

"Really?" - Will Pitts

:lol:

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 1

Ugghhh ... anyone else have to deal with ###### bag drum corps fans during the theater show? My theater was not very full, but a bunch of high school marching band kids were there to see some of their friends who were marching in various corps, including the Blue Devils. Sitting right in front of them is this big middle age guy with a Troopers shirt on that yells out as the announcers are talking about the Blue Devils, "Their Show Sucks!" at the top of his lungs, as if the whole world cared what his opinion about the Blue Devils was.

I was pretty disappointed with the theater show overall, to be honest. Not only do you have to deal with obnoxious people making rude comments during the show, but I wasn't that impressed with the video quality. I thought the shows look much better on the high quality internet stream on my HD TV.

As for the weather, not much DCI could do about it ... although how often do you see an ESPN or other TV broadcast of a live event go out because of weather? I am positive they could have avoided the technical problems if they had better equipment. It might have been cost prohibitive to get better satellite equipment though. I'm guessing the stadium has a fiber connection (being as new as it is) ... they should look into finding out if they could use that to avoid weather problems in the future. Didn't they have weather problems last year too?

The corps were all impressive. It felt like everyone stepped up tonight. I was surprised that Crown wasn't closer to BD. I thought they were phenomenal tonight, and wouldn't have been surprised if they had beaten BD tonight (though I like BD's show better than Crown's this year). The spread was bigger than I thought though, and it looks like BD winning is a foregone conclusion.

I love marching band kids! They know so much about drum corps and show it in their mature comments and judgements!

I love marching band kids! They know so much about drum corps and show it in their mature comments and judgements!

The kids were fine. It was the 40-50 year old that was the ###### bag.