Congratulations Blue Devils

And that's the problem. The group that couldnt give 2 ##### about the crowd winning is bad for drum corps, pure and simple.

They do care, it's just not a priority. Devils are getting better crowd response this year than at any point in the last five years or so.

I honestly don't think BD is trying get the crowd. If they wanted to, they could; they know how almost better than anyone.

But the show doesn't seem designed with audience reaction in mind. When I saw them live in Denton and then tonight in the theater, the audience/crowd just didn't seem to know how to react to the show.

Anyway, I hate that I feel like I have to add this addendum to any post I make about BD, but I think that they will (rightfully) win this year, and I've felt that way all season.

I agree and disagree with you. I agree that they don't care about audience reaction and getting a loud standing ovation at the end of their show (though I think their new ending is a lot more exciting than the old one). I loved BD's show the first time I saw it, and yet ... I never felt compelled to stand up and cheer for them. It just isn't that type of show. It is still one of my favorites though.

At the same time, though, I disagree that they are not tying to "get the crowd." At least with respect to a certain segment of the crowd. There are a lot of people that really like BD's show this year that aren't "BD honks" (as the critics like to call them). I think the BD staff knows that the people who will like the show are there and are catering them. They could care less about those that only care about playing loud and familiar music. BD is certainly not going for mass appeal, but I do think they are trying to impress a certain segment of the crowd that likes more abstract and creative art that causes you to think. Those people are in the crowd, despite the assertions of some.

• Like 2

Or maybe they are playing for people who are tired of sitting though a cheese fest and want to see something totally new without trying to appease the disney spoon fed crowd.

Amen!

Or maybe they are playing for people who are tired of sitting though a cheese fest and want to see something totally new without trying to appease the disney spoon fed crowd.

By that statement, you think a lot of shows are cheesy and disneyish. I must be missing something but...What shows are this year?

Is it possible to like BD without dissing other corps? #apparentlynot

Stay true Flammaster! May BD stand as the only true form of art and drum corps!

• Like 1

By that statement, you think a lot of shows are cheesy and disneyish. I must be missing something but...What shows are this year?

I don't think it's that so much as it's that Devils don't want to be the typical check-your-brain-at-the-door corps. It's ok to have to think, and to have to dig into the show some.

Think of Devils as a nice, juicy steak with sides of veggies. Lots of flavor, with multiple layers. Not everyone loves a great steak created at the highest level, but steak lovers certainly do. Other corps are hot dogs or cheeseburgers or even a big fat bowl of ice cream.

The best meals have all that stuff. I don't want to see a show of twelve Madson Scouts corps. I'd rather see one Madison, one Cavies, one Phantom, one Devils. And Surf for a really fun dessert.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Dont you have dozens of other threads to flood with your negativity ???

Geoffrey

I didn't think he was being negative. I think he was literally making a statement on the irony of dadaism vs BD's show...about dadism...winning. I got what he was saying, Its not necessarily an insult to BD. Please dont kill me. I'm your friend.

Edited by Njfritz