Jersey Surf's Identity

40 members have voted

1. 1. What identity would you rather see Surf move forward with?

• Classic Surf
    • Bridgemen 2.0
    • New option: Still Surf, but in the spirit of their 2012 show

After going to quarterfinals, I must say watching Bridgemania was the most fun I've ever had at a DCI show. Talk about capturing hearts and minds! Now, I've only seen a couple of Surf shows before this year... I'm not the most knowledgable about their identity and culture, or how their shows usually go. I also know that this was a tribute show, and after this they will likely go back to being Jersey Surf again.

I think that the corps has a unique opportunity to run with this new (old) identity and revive a more "fun" segment of DCI, the type that was previously inhabited by the Bridgemen, VK, etc. This is definitely the most entertaining show Surf has ever had. It's definitely the most talked-about show they've ever had.

So, if you were Surf's director, taking in the considerations of scoring, recruiting, fan appeal, and possible loss of your old identity, how would you proceed from here?

Edited by mikespeed

It works....don't mess with it....drum corps needs some comedy in the Open class anyway.

They're World Class

I don't think they should try to imitate The Bridgemen. That will mean they will always be compared to them, which isn't fair to either The Bridgmen or Jersey Surf. But, I think there is room in DCI for a corps that focuses on fun and audience entertainment first.

• Like 1

Surf has alway gone for fun shows, some more fun than others. Remember the Elvis wigs or the "take the penalty" wheel? I would have a third selection in the poll "Classic Surf in the spirit of what made 2012 awesome".

I don't think they should try to imitate The Bridgemen. That will mean they will always be compared to them, which isn't fair to either The Bridgmen or Jersey Surf. But, I think there is room in DCI for a corps that focuses on fun and audience entertainment first.

Well, the best part of the show wasn't an imitation, it was Surf being Surf. Being that crowd-first entertaining corps fits the Surf business model to a T.

• Like 1

Surf is so very entertaining .. they have the right idea ... now just grow the corps in a reasonable manner. Funds must be pouring in for Heavens sake!

My kid is in another corps but I dont get happy texts when the score goes up, I get them when the crowd loves his show! These kids must be having the most fun ever and I am happy for them!

Surf has alway gone for fun shows, some more fun than others. Remember the Elvis wigs or the "take the penalty" wheel? I would have a third selection in the poll "Classic Surf in the spirit of what made 2012 awesome".

I bought the Open Class DVD just for that show. Though I discovered some other gems on it as well :)

Surf use to do some fun shows years ago. I hope the keep this going. World Class needs a corps like a Bridgemen or VK and Surf can fit that bill. Looking at them today on Multi Cam looks like they have a young corps. So if they can keep the kids they have they will only get better.