An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

And this is why I haven't been on DCP. I can barely type on my computer. Typing on my phone is just awful. This youngin feels like an old fart!!!

I'll tear this place up when I get Internet again. Now to rest my sore thumbs. Lol.

The difference was that from 1971 to 1980 far MORE fans increasingly came out to DCI Drum Corps shows across the country as their were more shows in general. Also, while there were a few disgruntled fans that did not like the changes DCI was bringing to Srum Corps, more fans were coming to the shows to watch the shows in the 70's and early 80's than today. The economy during the Carter Presidency was awful too. But the fans came out..whether they were disgruntled or not... especially at Championships week.

but at the same time drum corps was much more regional and those audiences were probably mostly parents and friends of the marchers. For the exception of home shows the corps have no personal connection at all with the audiences....they are just fans of the activity.

You really think drum corps would be better with 1970s rules?

but at the same time drum corps was much more regional and those audiences were probably mostly parents and friends of the marchers. For the exception of home shows the corps have no personal connection at all with the audiences....they are just fans of the activity.

You really think drum corps would be better with 1970s rules?

The activity wouldn't exist if we were still under those rules.

• Like 1

The difference was that from 1971 to 1980 far MORE fans increasingly came out to DCI Drum Corps shows across the country as there were more shows in general. Also, while there were a few disgruntled fans that did not like the changes DCI was bringing to Drum Corps, more fans were coming to the shows to watch the shows in the 70's and early 80's than today. The economy during the 70's Carter Presidency was awful too. But the fans came out..whether they were disgruntled or not... especially at Championships week.

More shows of course leads to more people in total in attendance. But...there were also lots of shows in little local circuits with just about zero attendance outside of staffs and a few friends.

What was the average per-show attendance country-wide at the DCI-sponsored shows?

The activity wouldn't exist if we were still under those rules.

I whole heartily agree....but at the same time why is there such a nostalgia for that time?

I'm with the OP on this one. This next year, I'm gonna "test the waters" via youtube before I make a final decision on whether I will follow drumcorps or not via the fan network/going to shows. It's just like you said. Too many things have changed for the worse and I'm tired of "tolerating" them.

People need to stop taking this activity so seriously (as far as being "art"). It's not. Get over yourselves. It's kids marching and playing musical instruments on a football field (well, sometimes it is, anyway...), nothing more. If you love what drumcorps has become, then good for you. News flash: I'm not you, so don't expect me to like the same things you do and tell me I need to have an "open mind" or whatever. Do what you want, actually. I won't be here anyway. Moderators, please delete this account. See yaaaaa!!! :cool:

• Like 1

I whole heartily agree....but at the same time why is there such a nostalgia for that time?

There's a quote I frequently use in my 'History of the Westshoremen' thread conversations with my old Corps mates that I think is appropo as an answer:

"Nostalgia is wonderful as long as one ignores the tragedies". There was a lot of ugly that went on back then no one likes to bring up now.

As for rules in the 70's... the destruction of the tick system and why has been done to death. Thank God it's gone. The changes getting rid of it generated far outweigh any arguable advantages it may have had... and to be honest it had none except to keep the inept and unimaginative as players in the game.

Which ones and why?

Basically the tick system.

I really don't want to do another grad thesis on DCP as to why the tick system was mortally and utterly flawed and how getting rid of it allowed a lot of good ideas and concepts to come to fruition. I trialed on it, and was happy the hext year when it was ditched in the circuit I still work for. Basically it wasn't really judging. it was a game to see who could master the cuneiform heiroglyphs and where to stick them on an overly complicated sheet as fast as possible when you noticed something go wrong. No assessment or context/shade of gray given to any error.

I'll stop now before I get farther into another thesis. I pray you can get an idea of why it stank and needed to go and the system needed to evolve... :thumbdown: