An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

Well,IMO it does get better, every year. This year the use of electronics was wonderful in every corps I saw. Were their instances of balance problems? sure...as there can be with any voices. But IMO the key thing is that shows are using the voices as independent instruments quite well...see the Blue Knights opening for my personal favorite moment of 2012 of all corps I saw live.

Well I know we saw the same corps. We clearly saw them from different standpoints. Blue Knights, Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets - the use of voice overs was all dreadful to me. But it did save time watching FN broadcasts, because after a while I just fast forwarded through those shows.

Yes - IMO.....

I taught 4-12 grades for 7 years, and I showed Drum Corps Videos at least one day every year. Favorite moments among my 5th graders? Beginning and ending of Spin Cycle, the solo section of Cadets '00, the ending of Moto Perpetuo (especially when I explained the concept of the show), and Bluecoats Imagine (especially the costume change). They especially loved the kaleidoscope drill moments from the Cavies.

Kids are smart. They don't need things to be dumbed down. They inherently know what's hard and what isn't. Don't sell them short by thinking they're only going to like drum corps if there are fifteen synths and twelve amps. All humans love to see amazing human achievements, and pushing one key to cover up a bad note from the tuba section will never beat out a truly great tuba section--even among 5th graders.

I have taught those ages as well, and I picked shows that are not 'dumbed down', just the shows from this year I'd show to a new group of 11-year-olds. They are both fun, exciting and designed to create a visceral reaction. That in NO way implies 'dumbed down'.

Tuba parts are not covered...the low end synth plays below the range of the tuba. My own favorite corps sound last last year was Regiments huge Elsa's hit...the low end synth helped create a huge, full and marvelous sound (to me), as one example.

When it's so loud and pervasive you don't notice the tubas, it's covered.

Again - two different standpoints. For me, very little is right with synths, for you, little can ever be wrong with them.

Maybe, but the Cadets had a strong response at the '96 Olympics, and the UT Pride of the Southland Marching Band is most watched when they do their Pre-Game and Circle Drill (two of the hardest things they do drill-wise every year). Even football fans may not sit down and watch drum corps regularly, but they can respect marching music when they recognize it as challenging and interesting.

The Cadets at the Olympics were the supporting act to Bill Irwin's clown act...he was the headliner. They portrayed a marching band as the 'straight men' to his "clown schtick".

I'd LOVE to know what the football crowd reaction was to BD 2012, though. I wish I could have been there to witness it, as I'm sure the stands were far more entertaining than the field.

It is all just marching band to people at football games. It would make no difference to the crowd. It is great for BD to have the chance to perform, but don't think the average football fan has ANY reaction at all to the half time show as you are expecting.

The Cadets at the Olympics were the supporting act to Bill Irwin's clown act...he was the headliner. They portrayed a marching band as the 'straight men' to his "clown schtick".

It is all just marching band to people at football games. It would make no difference to the crowd. It is great for BD to have the chance to perform, but don't think the average football fan has ANY reaction at all to the half time show as you are expecting.

thats exactly how it was Mike as well as MANY pro ball and BOWL games I have been involved with

I'll take A and C. C by being pretty blunt about it (who knew that I would be a dinosaur at the ripe, old age of 32!). A by passing new rules and by rewarding exactly the things I think are wrong with drum corps.

They pass the rules they think are best for the activity of DCI drum corps, just as they have since they started. Just because you happen to not like what they do doesn't mean they they are telling you to go away. You make your own choices based on your likes...which is fine. Don't like it? Don't watch it. I am not one of those who expects you to go "for the children"...if you dislike drum corps so much...don't go. I happen to love it...and have since 1964. I can't wait to see what comes along next.

As for B, I haven't visited their website, so I can't say for sure. Maybe I should check. :-)

Let me know if you see an actual quote from the corps telling anyone who doesn't like them to go away and never watch drum corps again. :smile:

yeah i remember them and I also remember many who wore them when their corps went under for bad management not DCI, many went to touring corps..i was like HMMMMMMMMMMM....lol

What is funny is that the three corps responsible for the t-shirt due to their themed 1971 shows...the Scouts, Cavies and Cadets...are all still going strong! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well I know we saw the same corps. We clearly saw them from different standpoints. Blue Knights, Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Cadets - the use of voice overs was all dreadful to me. But it did save time watching FN broadcasts, because after a while I just fast forwarded through those shows.

Yes - IMO.....

Yup...we totally disagree.

I did not see BD live, sad to say...on video their show looked very interesting, but it is hard to make much of a value judgement of any corps from computer vidoes.

When it's so loud and pervasive you don't notice the tubas, it's covered.

Again - two different standpoints. For me, very little is right with synths, for you, little can ever be wrong with them.

No, like any voice it can be used badly. I have heard...and commented on...out of balance moments I have heard.

I have never had a problem hearing the tubas, even with low end synths...except when there were balance issues (to my ear). But I'd say the same about any voice that is not well balanced.

What is funny is that the three corps responsible for the t-shirt due to their themed 1971 shows...the Scouts, Cavies and Cadets...are all still going strong! :thumbup:

yup yup.... :thumbup: funny some people think all these arguments are so different...I love whn I see GO BACK TO THE 90s drum corps....lol...well the 80s people didnt think so and the 70s ...well you get the picture...lol....only difference now is the internet..I can just imagine if there was the internet in the 70s...OMGGGGGGGG..................lol :blink:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1