An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

All of this "I'm going to leave drum corps" doesn't even sound like protesting anymore. It sounds like a fad. "This person is leaving, and I agree with the reasons of why he's leaving so I'm going to leave as well." Sounds like the easy way out.

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have drum corps in its current state, or no drum corps at all? And when the time comes (if the time comes), when drum corps isn't around, will you be angry at yourself for leaving/not supporting the activity early on? And if you wouldn't be angry at yourself, is drum corps really that embarrassing to you that you HAVE to leave? Like it's the only ultimatum?

"You never know what you've got until it's gone."

Julian (and your followers), why does it make sense to write this letter and walk away at the END of the season? Wouldn't it have made more sense to wait until March or April to see that nothing has been done, and THEN state your resignation from the season?

What does it cost you now to wait for the next 6 months and see what transpires?

What I don't think you realize is that the people who guide and direct this activity are well-aware of the "house of cards" you describe, and that now, finally, they have begun to act to effect a change. I don't think (although I'm not convinced) that they are acting on what's bugging you. In fact, it's likely that you won't be totally happy with the direction they take.

I tell you what. If, during the offseason, DCI announces major and revolutionary changes (as you say they will) and those changes address my concerns in a meaningful way, I'll give a tentative listen/watch at some point season. I promise to keep an eye out and see what transpires. Is that fair enough?

I tell you what. If, during the offseason, DCI announces major and revolutionary changes (as you say they will) and those changes address my concerns in a meaningful way, I'll give a tentative listen/watch at some point season. I promise to keep an eye out and see what transpires. Is that fair enough?

OK...lets all hope they legalize woodwinds. Will that draw you back? :tongue:

All of this "I'm going to leave drum corps" doesn't even sound like protesting anymore. It sounds like a fad. "This person is leaving, and I agree with the reasons of why he's leaving so I'm going to leave as well." Sounds like the easy way out.

Maybe it's a fad, or maybe it's an expression of something a lot of people have been thinking, but for whatever reason, not saying.

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have drum corps in its current state, or no drum corps at all? And when the time comes (if the time comes), when drum corps isn't around, will you be angry at yourself for leaving/not supporting the activity early on? And if you wouldn't be angry at yourself, is drum corps really that embarrassing to you that you HAVE to leave? Like it's the only ultimatum?

"You never know what you've got until it's gone."

You ask a tough question. One I've really had to think about (both before and after you asked it). From an entertainment perspective, DCI as it is today may as well be gone, because it isn't scratching the itch that it used to scratch for me. Do I want to keep around a form of entertainment that isn't entertaining? No.

From an educational perspective, DCI still does good things for its participants, so for the kids' sake, I don't want it to disappear. But at the same time, I'm not willing to throw money after an activity that, to me, is taking an artistic turn in the wrong direction, and only seems concerned with part of the people it used to try to reach. Everyone has to make that choice for themselves, but I feel like I've been asked to cross one too many bridges, and I'm waiting on the shore to see if anyone else in the crowd might join me there.

OK...lets all hope they legalize woodwinds. Will that draw you back? :tongue:

:w00t: You know me so well! That's the part of "brass, percussion, and drill" we've ALL been missing. :doh:

You ask a tough question. One I've really had to think about (both before and after you asked it). From an entertainment perspective, DCI as it is today may as well be gone, because it isn't scratching the itch that it used to scratch for me. Do I want to keep around a form of entertainment that isn't entertaining? No.

So because you are not entertained, there is no reason to keep it around for those who are entertained? :blink:

I'm thinking you don't mean that, but it looks that way in the above.

• Like 1