2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

Pretty much, although I have seen exceptions. That's the advantage you gain by earning that last performance spot.

Not a perfect score but Suncoast putting up a 9.9 in field brass in '86 with four corps still left to perform. That took some courage from that judge!!

BD winning perfect scores in some captions and Crown not seems to demonstrate intentional slotting by the judges last night. There is little reason to believe that BD should have gotten 20s in GE visual, Visual Analysis, and Color Guard and Crown not receiving 20s in GE music, Brass, and Music Analysis. Conclusion: slotting. Crown was never given a real chance to win.

Oh, I disagree there completely. Glancing at the recap, the judges managed numbers very well. Had Devils not been better than Crown in those captions, they would easily have been scored below Crown. Nothing slotting about it.

• Like 2

Not a perfect score but Suncoast putting up a 9.9 in field brass in '86 with four corps still left to perform. That took some courage from that judge!!

The interesting thing about that is that Bill Doyle flat out said on the tape he wanted to give the corps a ten, but couldn't for that very reason.

Oh, I disagree there completely. Glancing at the recap, the judges managed numbers very well. Had Devils not been better than Crown in those captions, they would easily have been scored below Crown. Nothing slotting about it.

Then you and I will disagree. Crown should have scored a 20 in GE music, Brass, and music analysis.

• Like 1

Then you and I will disagree. Crown should have scored a 20 in GE music, Brass, and music analysis.

Well, I'm not arguing that, or the placements. I'm just telling you how numbers management works. If you disagree with the placement, take it up with the judge (if you have the balls).

• Like 1

Some of the most popular movies of all time... some considered movie classics today... received just terrible, awful reviews at the time of their release by the so called newspaper and magazine " movie experts " at the time. These movie experts and their reviews have moved on. They're gone from this earth. These classic movies they once panned however, live on. Generation after Generation.

Likewise, about 1000 times more movies, many popular, received terrible awful reviews at the time and are now completely forgotten. The ones that aren't are still thought of as terrible and awful, and the terrible awful ones that won Academy Awards are perceived with embarrassment and shame. :tongue:

Well, I'm not arguing that, or the placements. I'm just telling you how numbers management works. If you disagree with the placement, take it up with the judge (if you have the balls).

Well then the numbers management seems to be an unfair system that suggests favoritism.

Edited by Corbin

I gotta know, with that kind of taste, what is your favorite movie? tongue.gif

A very good question, sir. Keep in mind I am a Lead baritone player. That fact alone can label me as pretty eccentric. :satisfied:

Do you recognize the character on my avatar? It could be a clue, though I'm partial to Gamera vs. Guiron on certain days. Rocket Powered Turtles who can weld with their flame breath and do gymnastics, inept Japanese cops, Monsteres who shoot ninja stars out of their nostrils, and goofy space chicks who want to eat the brains of goofier kids who deserve it make my day at the cinema complete. :cool:

If you had my job... you would understand why stuff like that amuses me. :cool:

On that vein, I greatly enjoy going to Cinematic Titanic Live, where I meat Joel, TV's Frank, and Dr. Forrester and thanked them for all the bad movies.

Sometimes, seeing something BAD teaches you what NOT to do, or about what makes something GOOD. I learned a lot from MST3K. :tongue:

Not slotting, but the gap between 1st and 2nd on the captions BD won amount to 0.85 points of their final score. ie, the judges could have given them the correct ranking in the caption and dropped their score by nearly a full point. But instead they added that extra bump, and four of the five judges who did so, just maxed out the score. Had Crown managed the same treatment of getting perfect 20s from four of the five judges they won, their score would have gone up by 0.4 to 0.6 points.

Neither detail made a difference in the outcome this year, but it easily could. So I think it's worth asking: did the judges who gave BD 20s do so because they thought BD was "perfect" or because they thought the spread was correct (or as near as possible given a max of 20), or because it was the last show and BD was the best, or just to stand out as saying "way better"?

I mean, it doesn't have to be about what would have been in Crown's favor. Are the judges being limited by the ceiling of 20 points? Maybe BD deserved a bigger spread in those captions. It's possible to think up a scenario in which the judges being pinned in at 20 could have *cost* BD the championship.

Not making a stand one way or the other here, I'm just thinking this stuff through. I think it's a question worth asking.