2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

Really!? With one more corps to go, and you sending the clear, 'impartial', and 'unbiased' message that the best you can do is tie!?

It reeks of bias. It would also get you off the DCI judge's roster faster than you falling from slipping on a banana peel for ineptitude and implied bias.

That's the essence of numbers management. The perfect score also implies something else. Was it the greatest daggone tour-de-force you've ever seen in your experiences in the activity, particularly as an adjudicator? If it was... maybe you don't have a big enough pool of experience to draw from. It was impressive, yeah, but worth perfect scores before the last corps hits the field, Nuh-uh.

You can disagree wnd whinge, but the way you're thinking isn't the way you MUST think as an adjudicator and be FAIR, PROFESSIONAL and have INTEGRITY.

Funny, Steve Calhoun didn't get thrown off the DCI judge's roster faster than you falling from slipping on a banana peel when he gave BD a 20.0 in QUARTERFINALS in 2004, with a corps still left to go.

That was a complete and utter failure right there... especially if you were present in the theatre or at the stadium and heard that performance.

I do agree with your points though.

Really!? With one more corps to go, and you sending the clear, 'impartial', and 'unbiased' message that the best you can do is tie!?

It reeks of bias. It would also get you off the DCI judge's roster faster than you falling from slipping on a banana peel for ineptitude and implied bias.

That's the essence of numbers management. The perfect score also implies something else. Was it the greatest daggone tour-de-force you've ever seen in your experiences in the activity, particularly as an adjudicator? If it was... maybe you don't have a big enough pool of experience to draw from. It was impressive, yeah, but worth perfect scores before the last corps hits the field, Nuh-uh.

You can disagree wnd whinge, but the way you're thinking isn't the way you MUST think as an adjudicator and be FAIR, PROFESSIONAL and have INTEGRITY.

Then don't give a perfect score to anyone. It amazes me that some people are saying that judical favoritism is just the way it is. I don't see BD getting a perfect score in any caption.

Then don't give a perfect score to anyone. It amazes me that some people are saying that judical favoritism is just the way it is. I don't see BD getting a perfect score in any caption.

Do we need to explain the "there's no such thing as a perfect score" thing again? Really?

Do we need to explain the "there's no such thing as a perfect score" thing again? Really?

I'm not the one that gave it and would never give it. I am speaking about the issue of fairness in the judical process. Admitting there is none and saying it can't be fixed is a somewhat unsatisfying conclusion.

It seems to me a lot of these problems would be solved by reserving a perfect score for that almost inconceivable possibility, based on the judges years of experience, that no corps could ever possibly be better, only as good at the very most. Everything less than that gets an appropriately lower score. Start low enough to have enough spread and let the chips fall where they fall.

Actually now that I think about that, make that inconceivably unbeatable score .1 below perfect just in case someone is beyond inconceivable. :smile:

I'm not the one that gave it and would never give it. I am speaking about the issue of fairness in the judical process. Admitting there is none and saying it can't be fixed is a somewhat unsatisfying conclusion.

So I will ask again. What do you propose to change the system?

It seems to me a lot of these problems would be solved by reserving a perfect score for that almost inconceivable possibility, based on the judges years of experience, that no corps could ever possibly be better, only as good at the very most. Everything less than that gets an appropriately lower score. Start low enough to have enough spread and let the chips fall where they fall.

Actually now that I think about that, make that inconceivably unbeatable score .1 below perfect just in case someone is beyond inconceivable. :smile:

The system has that already. It's the 10.1. The unbelievable by any means number.

The system has that already. It's the 10.1. The unbelievable by any means number.

I'm just allowing the .1 space for the possibility that, on rare occasions, things might happen that couldn't have been believed until they were seen. Thus the inconceivable can become believable once it has happened and that's 'only' a 10.0 so your 10.1 remains safely out of reach.

Unless of course a corps uses amps that go to 11. Then they have an edge that no one can compete with.

Good post, very fair and good question.

I would bet a pint of Elysian Russian Imperial Stout they gave the perfect number because it reflected what they thought the appropriate spread should be. They left room where needed if it didn't reflect what they thought happened in that subcaption.

...my understanding is that a "10" is given to the best the judge has seen *that season*...at least last time I paid attention, which might've been 20 years ago! LOL...ahem...so with that in mind, why is it that ties are abominable? Or just the number "10?" I'd give it up...for sure on the last nite.

Edited by chasgroh

Hey, guess what, I can find a single shot of dirt, too!

sWPSF.png

Also, how incredibly condescending of you to assume that I don't know what a straight line is. thumbdown.gif

That shot you pointed out is not Crown in finals or semi's or even prelims for that matter...just saying...Oops :tongue: