2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

How did BD guard get 2 perfect scores? They really didn't have their best run. At least one rifle drop, a hoop drop and some timing issues? It seems no matter how they performed they were going to win guard. They were not the cleanest guard but got a 10/10 for execution!

• Like 1

Yes, Wes.. or we'll sic the Sierra Club or the Audubon Society on them to make their life miserable. ( haha!)

Be careful... Making the Alien Bird Race Mad may result in massive pooping episodes on your head:) LOL

How did BD guard get 2 perfect scores? They really didn't have their best run. At least one rifle drop, a hoop drop and some timing issues? It seems no matter how they performed they were going to win guard. They were not the cleanest guard but got a 10/10 for execution!

There is no such thing as a "perfect score". It simply doesn't exist. When you see a 10 or a 20, it simply means that corps maxed out the caption based on the contest dynamics of the day. In the case of Devils' color guard, it simply means that they were X tenths better than Phantom's guard, with X being equal to or greater than the number of tenths left before the max number.

• Like 3

There is no such thing as a "perfect score". It simply doesn't exist. When you see a 10 or a 20, it simply means that corps maxed out the caption based on the contest dynamics of the day. In the case of Devils' color guard, it simply means that they were X tenths better than Phantom's guard, with X being equal to or greater than the number of tenths left before the max number.

OK thanks - that actually makes sense in the context of how the sheets are structured.

But to me, the sheets shouldn't be structured that way.....

But were they? .....with such obvious errors? How were they that much better than Phantom who were squeaky clean? Maybe it's the fact they went on last and Phantom 3rd to last?

OK thanks - that actually makes sense in the context of how the sheets are structured.

But to me, the sheets shouldn't be structured that way.....

Well, how would you structure them? Make 'em go to eleven? No top end for numbers at all?

Well, how would you structure them? Make 'em go to eleven? No top end for numbers at all?

I'm honestly not sure. I am not advocating a return to the tic system but I don't believe anyone is perfect, and if you tic, you should be scored down for it. I remember comments on judges tapes saying things like "performance is impacting GE" when the line was blowing a passage.

If the writing is perfect, how perfect can it be? If two corps get perfect content scores did they do exactly the same things? Was one more perfect than the other?

No show, no subcaption, should ever pull down a perfect score (not even my beloved SCV!)

Crown is marching at 190bpm there. The shot of BD, they're marching around 80bpm. You can't even compare the two shots. We need something more comparable before judging corps cleanliness. ALSO THATS SAN ANTONIO. WEEKS AGO.

I think you missed my point. You can't just pull out one shot of a dirty form and use that as your argument. The fact is, it's impossible to judge if Corps A is cleaner than Corps B unless both corps are performing the exact same thing! I believe that BD cleaned their product better than Crown cleaned theirs, and apparently the judges agreed.

I'm honestly not sure. I am not advocating a return to the tic system but I don't believe anyone is perfect, and if you tic, you should be scored down for it. I remember comments on judges tapes saying things like "performance is impacting GE" when the line was blowing a passage.

If the writing is perfect, how perfect can it be? If two corps get perfect content scores did they do exactly the same things? Was one more perfect than the other?

No show, no subcaption, should ever pull down a perfect score (not even my beloved SCV!)

Well, as I explained to you, there is no such thing as "perfect". If you institute a "no ten" policy, all you do is make 9.9 the ceiling. So now you have to lower that...

My argument is that that only group who (normally) has a shot at a perfect score is the last performing group. As bourne our by looking at last nught's recaps.

• Like 1