2013 Predictions

Alright let's do this (keep in mind this is IMO a realistic list, I DO NOT want some of these results to actually happen)

1. BD - hard to see them not winning anytime soon

2. Crown - Fantastic Music, percussion hurting them again

3. Cadets - show is going to be SWEET. High expectations for them this year

4. PR - going back to top 3, top 2 on lock for now

5. SCV - if they have another year like last year, things only go up for them

6. Bloo - really don't see them going anywhere place wise anytime soon

7. Boston - show last year was great, they're on the rise

8. Madison - motivation for an anniversary year will fuel them

9. Cavies - another rebuilding year IMO

10. Crossmen - they've finally tasted finals again and they're not going anywhere

11. BK

12. Spirit

13. Blue Stars

14. Academy

15. Pacific Crest

16. Troopers

17. Oregon Crusaders

18. Glassmen

We'll see how much they flip around once shows start being announced!

It would be a surprise to me if the Colts did not finish in the top 18. They've finished in the top 18 the last 20 consecutive years. That said, these are just predictions and obviously there are no right or wrong predictions.

• Like 1

It would be a surprise to me if the Colts did not finish in the top 18. They've finished in the top 18 the last 20 consecutive years. That said, these are just predictions and obviously there are no right or wrong predictions.

Darnit I knew there was a corps I forgot!!! My apologies! I would put them between academy and PC

Darnit I knew there was a corps I forgot!!! My apologies! I would put them between academy and PC

No big deal.... I've done this and forgotten a Corps before as well.

All my ranting and bias aside, this is my realistic list.

1/2. BD and Crown- They're both amazing and, with the addition of the west coast tour for Crown, it should be a toss up for the title.

3. Cadets- They'll field a #### good show, especially with their repertoire this year. However, I don't think it will get them on the same level as BD/Crown.

4. SCV- It should be another up year for Vanguard. :)

5. PR- Phantom will be Phantom.

6. BOC- The crusaders crack the top 6 after two years of serious growth within the organization.

7. Bloo- Coats will field a kick-### corps, but show design and rep will hold them back.

8. Scouts- They're hungry to be an elite corps again and make babies take flight.

9. Cavies- They'll struggle again in another rebuilding year.

10. Bones- Crossmen are glad to be back and don't look to be departing anytime soon.

This is where it gets interesting.

11/12. These two spots could go to just about anybody. BK is down, but is it enough to put them out of finals? SOA is kicking ###. Stars were really close last year. Academy will continue to build with Andre Feagin. PC supposedly has a large number of vets this year. Glassmen is retooling in the wake of crushing debt, but also has many vets coming back. Even Colts or Troopers could sneak in. (Not a knock on those corps, but they're just down IMO) If I absolutely had to pick, it would be:

11. SOA

12. Stars/Glassmen/Academy/BK (It'll be a tight race.)

My wish list:

1. Crown

2. SCV

3. Bloo

4. BD

5. PR

6. TOC

7. Cadets

8. Scouts

9. Bones

10. Stars

11. Glassmen

12. SOA

Edited by mjm207
  • Like 1

These are my very early season predictions. My predictions are partly based off logic,last year's standings, as well as what I'd like to see happen in 2013. If you don't agree...cool. You don't have to. I'm only here to spark conversation, not to havepissed off people yelling at me.

1. Blue Devils - Lastyear they won with a giant group of rookie marchers. They know what winning feels like and they'reback for more. The hornline should betop notch, the drumline will be attempting to win a 2nd consecutive drum titleand the color guard will be fabulous. It'sBD, what else do you expect? Welcome to Cali.

2. Bluecoats - Thiscorps is going to have a fantastic hornline. Ridiculously high vet retention, a harder book than 2012 and a cool,exciting show theme will propel this group to the top. Finally, the Bluecoats will be rewarded forthat great sound. Granted, hornlinesdon't win championships (ask Crown) but the drumline's momentum from last yearwill launch them into a successful season. Also, the guard will be back up to 2010 quality. This is going to be a good visual year forthe Bluecoats. It's time.

3. Crown - Hopefullythey won't make the same mistakes they did in 2010 and try too hard for achampionship after a really good year. This hornline will be fabulous again, however this time they'll havemore competition from BD and Bloo. 2012's brass book was hard, however I hope they don't go too far withthe ridiculous articulations this year. It'scool, but personally, it gets gimmicky after a while. The drumline will still hold them back andthe show won't be nearly as exciting as 2012.

4. Phantom Regiment -I see this corps having a very similar year as 2012. As far as show design goes, they are going tohave to step it up and have a harder show if they want to stay in the top3. The hornline should be solid, and thedrumline will score in the middle again. The lovely Phantomettes will dance and spin their way to the top end oftheir caption. An enjoyable showoverall, maybe even a phan favorite. Still not enough to medal.

5. Cadets - Based onlast season I can't see this corps going up. The straight leg technique has disappeared and I'm pretty the sure that theCadets we once knew are gone. The ragtag drumline they put together last season will return and do some damagethroughout the season. They will be a threatfor the drum title come August. Thebrass and guard will be very average. Hopefully the classic Cadet uniforms will come back.

6. Cavaliers - Theylost their mojo last season and they're trying to get it back. Without Gaines and a solid show theme, 2013looks to be a rebuilding year for the Green Machine. The show will probably be enjoyable, but thecorps above them are just better.

7. Santa ClaraVanguard - This is a corps than everyone hypes up every single year... yet they'rea disappointment for me every time. SCVwill unfortunately put out another dull show. The classic Rennick drumline will be back for blood, however a gooddrumline can only get you so far. Thehornline will be slightly better than 2012, however they'll still suffer in thebrass caption.

8. Boston Crusaders -Once again the Bad ### Crusaders will turn out an enjoyable, fun and passionateprogram. The corps should be prettytalented, but the other corps above them are just two good. Hopefully this hornline will finally playwith some more volume than the last 2 years.

9. Madison Scouts -The men from Madison are back with another show including a repertoire fromtheir past. The tunes should be fun andthey will certainly be a fan favorite, especially in the Midwest. Madison's hornline will be loud as usual, butwill more stick-outs than I prefer. Theirshow is similar to the last 3 years but with a more anniversary type offeel. An enjoyable program none theless. I don't see them moving anywherein the rankings.

10. Spirit of Atlanta- Spirit's on the rise! Last year inJuly they proved that they could hang with the big boys and I certainly believethem. Loads of talent for Spirit to use inorder to field another fan friendly show. This hornline is slowly improving every year, and I can even see thembecoming a brass powerhouse in the near future. Unfortunately, I feel like this corps needs to have a show that's differentthan the last 2 years if they wish to progress further up the board.

11. Blue Stars - 2013will be the Blue Stars grand re-entrance into finals. The addition of some Bluecoat brass staffwill give this hornline a new identity, which is just what this organizationneeded. Last year the corps just missedfinals. I'm confident that the vetsaren't going to let that happen again. The Blue Stars are going to be an angry corps in 2013. Don't mess with them.

12. Blue Knights -The Blue Knights are going to slowly drift into the feared 12th spot for a corpswho's made finals for the last 9 years. Unfortunately the Blue Knights will put out another lack luster showthat won't get the credit that it deserves. The other corps are more exciting, and the Blue Knights are only able toclench that last finals spot.

13. Crossmen - TheCrossmen were a fantastic corps last season, however they will have a hard timeduplicating their come-from-behind victory on semifinals night again. The corps will be talented, however poordrill and an okay show theme will leave them in the dreaded 13th slot. It's hard to hold on to a spot in finals fora consecutive year, and I can't see the Crossmen doing that.

Caption battles:

Brass: BD, Bloo, Crown

Drums: BD, Bloo, Cadets, SCV

Guard: BD, Phantom, Crown

• Like 3

I won't try to fill all places... but I know some things I'd like to see happen. I'd like to see Crown take the title, with BD second. Crown's show mesmerized me last year. Loved their brass of course... but their visual was like... what - who can move like that while playing a horn? Crown is going west and will be competing head to head with the Devils so it could really happen this year. Since this is my dream season, Phantom takes 3rd. As for 4th - 12th...? Hard to predict but I'm sure the usual suspects will have their proper spot. Where my interest most will be, however, is 13th - 20th. My son marches for Oregon Crusaders and of course, it's their debut year in WC. Their 2013 show title, "My Heart, My Battle, My Soul" has conjured up a host of images for me... though I haven't heard a note of the music and haven't even been to a camp yet. The design team will make sure it rocks the house... and my big hope is that OC can place 18th or better, with a brass placement at 17th or better (my son is wields a euph so of course i wish that).

• Like 1

I won't try to fill all places... but I know some things I'd like to see happen. I'd like to see Crown take the title, with BD second. Crown's show mesmerized me last year. Loved their brass of course... but their visual was like... what - who can move like that while playing a horn? Crown is going west and will be competing head to head with the Devils so it could really happen this year. Since this is my dream season, Phantom takes 3rd. As for 4th - 12th...? Hard to predict but I'm sure the usual suspects will have their proper spot. Where my interest most will be, however, is 13th - 20th. My son marches for Oregon Crusaders and of course, it's their debut year in WC. Their 2013 show title, "My Heart, My Battle, My Soul" has conjured up a host of images for me... though I haven't heard a note of the music and haven't even been to a camp yet. The design team will make sure it rocks the house... and my big hope is that OC can place 18th or better, with a brass placement at 17th or better (my son is wields a euph so of course i wish that).

Regardless of where they place, this is a type of show theme I've always wanted to see someone do, it's going to be an emotional and powerful one with some fun music. Should be a GREAT entry into World Class!

• Like 1

Cadets-music and concept are very fitting for them. Strong audition turn out and strong vet retention, good combo.

BD-they have enormous momentum, historic actually. Cadets seem to be the only corps that can over take them in the

last few years. (when not playing jingle bells)

Crown- love this corps and my favorite shows for the past 5 seasons but need to get all their junk aligned at the

same time.

SCV- dream team staffs count and they have slowly but surely been building a monster out there in Cali.

Phantom- found a great niche with luscious music and an amazing guard. Thought the judges were very generous with

the visual scores but they are a favorite of mine so I gladly looked the other way.

Bluecoats- a corps that I dont love but surely respect. They are busting with talent across the captions and when

they nail a design, they can achieve great things. Percussion number 2 last year and one of the most

glorious brass lines out there, yep, they can do anything.

Madision- Its now or never. Strong momentum but enough with the history, break new ground. Dream Team staff makes

the sky the limit with these guys.

Boston- a very strong corps last year, they have a few ex-Cadets people their which is a very good thing. Lets see

what they are building down there.

Cavaliers- only because I havent heard much. They are in a rebuilding phase. Good talent im sure so it is up to the

design team. New strong direction (good) or rekindling of past glories (hmmm, not sure).

Spirit- momentum

Crossmen- momentum

Troopers- new amazing staff with a fresh take on a wonderful old corps?

These are always fun. I'll bite...

1. Carolina Crown

Clean up the drumline and bam--title. The design last year was otherworldly, and as long as the brass staff stays intact, there's no reason they won't win horns again. The education and methodology in that instructional team is head-and-shoulders above the rest of DCI.

2. Blue Devils

Staff retention wins championships (unless, I suppose, you retain a sucky staff for two decades). These guys have it. From what we saw last year, they can put John Cage's 4'33" on a field and still somehow win it all. Cleanliness and design that's never as physically demanding as corps around them usually guarantees rings for the Blue Devils. Though, I'd love to see them try and play as well as they did while marching Crown's drill from last year. If Crown can beat them in brass with that big of a physical demand gap, think of much Crown is actually out-performing them. Scary stuff.

3. Bluecoats

Absolutely sick drumline last year, and their design staff really found "it" last year, whatever "it" is. Always a great brass sound--now it's just time to get that guard up to par.

4. The Cadets

Show concept and source music seem great. Seems like these guys always bring it after "meh" years. Possibly the corps I'm the most excited to see this season.

5. Phantom Regiment

Turandot was my favorite Phantom show since '05. Always a fun corps to listen to, even when I'm not into the music itself. Just love the intensity they put out year after year. Visual design needs a BIG step up from last year's high school band drill. This is DCI, people. Give these kids a better visual book and let them rock it!

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

You can never count SCV out of the hunt. Their brass acquisitions were great last year, and I'm sure another season will only help solidify their sound even more. Smokin' drumline. I haven't really noticed their guard much post-2004, but then again, the drill always gives so many great things to focus on. I'd like to see their demand upped from last year. Looked like most of that show could have been marched in the members' sleep.

7. Madison Scouts

With the Cavaliers in a rut and last year's kick-### show, recruiting should be ridiculous in Madison. I was never a big fan of theirs (save for 96 and the year they did Uninvited as the intro), but I couldn't get enough of their 2012 show. This group can hit the judging sheets while still clearly catering to the people in the stands. Can't wait to see what this year brings considering their classic source music.

8. Boston Crusaders

Too much talent and too good of an instructional staff to place them lower, realistically. Other than Red and Eve, I've never cared one bit for a BAC program. I'd love to see a more engaging vehicle than last year. The kids can clearly handle just about whatever you throw at them.

9. The Cavaliers

I'm almost tempted to put them lower. A lot more than just the drill writer changed in Rosemont last year. Without spilling here, I would just recommend talking to a Cavalier vet who has marched at least two years. Lots of interesting stories. I've been a die-hard fan since 1999, and would LOVE to see them hop back on and start tearing things up again. This might be my biggest toss-up of the entire Top 12.

10. (tie) Blue Knights

Avian was just... out there. In a really, really good way. They just keep getting talent and doing their own crazy, unique thing out in Denver and it seems to work.

10. (tie) Blue Stars

Saucedo + Bluecoats brass staffers + Pulse Percussion guys + Michael Shapiro = back in finals with an exclamation point. Last year, the design team dropped the ball hard (ok, really just the drill, but that effed up seemingly everything to some degree). I expect this corps to come back as hungry and as angry as ever.

12. Spirit

Fun music and entertaining design choices the last couple years. Now, let's see if they can march something that isn't as absurdly easy as 80% of Sin City was (my same beef with the Crossmen, as much as I love 'em). Speakeasy should be a blast.

And, honorable mention to The Academy in 13th. Left of Spring was mind-blowing. Bring it again in 2013 and see if you can't knock one of the big boys out of finals next time.

• Like 2