General 2013 Audition Thread

So I know that many of the posters on this forum are adults with children in DCI, or alumni of the activity (or both!) but there are some others, like me, who still have years of marching eligibility ahead of us, and I'd like to put together a resource for us to use when audition season comes around, and also provide a thread for general questions. What should we expect at our first weekend? Are you sending in videos - if so, what kind of software do people use, how do they structure their videos, and what kind of recording equipment is best? Where can I find the material I need to practice to audition? Which corps are looking for additional players, and in which sections? I know these questions are sometimes overwhelming for newcomers to the activity. Hopefully young adults like me, and parents who have accounts on DCP whose children are planning to audition, can pool our knowledge and help one another with whatever questions might come up.

Resources:

academy.jpg The Academy:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

New Member Brochure (Coming soon)

Dates:

- Audition Camp -

December 7-9, 2012 (All Sections)

Location TBD

Registration/move-in begins at 5:30pm, Orientation/Auditions begin at 7:30pm

Camp ends at 4:00pm Sunday, December 9

- 2013 Training Camp Days -

Training Camp #1 - January 11-13

Training Camp #2 - February 1-3

Training Camp #3 - March 1-3

Training Camp #4 - April 5-7

Training Camp #5 - May 3-5

Move-in rehearsals begin - May 20

Training Camp #6 - May 24-27

2013 Program (Coming soon)

Corps Staff and Contact

blue_devils.jpgBlue Devils:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

- Blue Devils account required.

FAQs -
, Percussion (coming soon?)

Dates:

- Brass Clinics and Auditions -

Dallas area

November 17, 2012 (9am - 5pm)

Flower Mound High School

3411 Peters Colony

Flower Mound, TX 75022

or in person

Northern California (Concord)

November 24-25, 2012 (Time TBD)

Exact location TBD

or in person

Southern California (Etiwanda)

December 8-9, 2012 (Time TBD)

Exact location TBD

or in person

- Percussion Clinic and
Main
Audition -

Northern California (Concord)

December 1-2, 2012 (Time TBD)

Exact location TBD

or in person

- Percussion Clinic and
Make-up
Audition -

Southern California (Etiwanda)

December 8-9, 2012 (Time TBD)

Exact location TBD

or in person

- Color Guard Clinic and Audition -

Northern California

November 23-25, 2012 (Time TBD)

Exact location TBD

or in person

- Drum Major Audition -

Concord, California

November 24-25, 2012 (Time TBD)

Time and exact location TBD

or in person

2013 Program (Coming soon)

Corps Staff and Contact

blueknights.jpgBlue Knights:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

2013 Program (Coming soon!)

Corps Staff and Contact

bluestars.jpgBlue Stars:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

Dates:

- Audition Camp (All sections) -

Indiana State Fairgrounds

Nov. 16 - 18, 2012

Camp begins 6:00p.m. on Friday and goes until 4:00p.m. on Sunday

1202 E 38th St.

Indianapolis, IN
(
)

- Winter Camps -

Dec. 14-16, 2012 Brass and Percussion

Jan. 18-20, 2013 Brass and Percussion

Feb. 22-24, 2013 Brass and Percussion

Mar. 22-24, 2013 Brass and Percussion

Apr. 26-28, 2013 All Sections

2013 Program (Coming soon!)

Corps Staff and Contact

bluecoats.jpgBluecoats:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

Dates:

- Audition Camps (Presumably all sections) -

Austin, TX: November 17-18, 2012

Canton, OH: November 23-25, 2012

Mission Viejo, CA: December 2, 2012

Atlanta, GA: December 9, 2012

- Winter Camps (TBA) -

2013 Program (Not currently updated)

Corps Staff and Contact

boston.jpgBoston Crusaders:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

(Currently updated for 2012)

Dates:

- Audition Camps -

Bradenton, Florida

November 23-25, 2012 (6:00 p.m. Friday - 4:00 p.m. Sunday)

Lakewood Ranch HS, Bradenton -

TBA, Massachusetts

December 8, 2012 (8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)

Exact location TBA

Denton, Texas

December 8, 2012 (8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)

Guyer HS, Denton, TX -

- Winter Camps ("Round Two" Auditions) -

(All camps are held at Lakewood Ranch HS; Bradenton, Florida)

December 21 - 23, 2012

January 25 - 27, 2013

February 22 - 24, 2013

April 5 - 7, 2013 (Brass and Perc. only)

May 3 - 5, 2013 (All sections)

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

cadets.jpgThe Cadets:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

Dates:

All auditions and winter camps are held at:

Woodstown High School

140 East Avenue, Woodstown, N.J.

- Audition Dates -

November 16-18: Guard and Percussion Auditions

December 7-9: Brass and Percussion Auditions

- Winter Schedule -

December 27-30: Brass and Percussion

January 18-21: Brass, Percussion, and Guard

March 8-10: Percussion Only

April 26-28: Brass, Percussion, and Guard

2013 Program (To be announced)

Corps Staff and Contact

crown.jpgCarolina Crown:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

Audition Information:

Dates:

All auditions and camps will be held:

Location TBA in the Fort Mill, North Carolina area

- Audition Dates -

November 18-20, 2012: Brass, Percussion, and Guard

December 14-16, 2012: Brass, Percussion, and Guard

January 18-20, 2013: Brass and Percussion

February 22-24, 2013: Brass and Percussion

March 22-24, 2013: Brass and Percussion

April 26-28, 2013: Brass, Percussion, and Guard
May 18th, 2013 - Move in day

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

seattle.jpgCascades:

Corps Website

Audition Information:

Audition Overview

Membership Information - Brass, Percussion, and Guard

Sign-ups

Dates (TBA):

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

cavaliers.jpgThe Cavaliers:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

colts.jpgColts:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

crossmen.jpg Crossmen:

Corps Website

Audition Information

Dates:

Dallas eXperience Camp - November 16-18

Houston eXperience Camp - November 23-25

San Antonio eXperience Camp - November 30-December 2

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

glassmen.jpgGlassmen:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

jersey_surf.jpg Jersey Surf:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

madison.jpg Madison Scouts:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Repertoire:

"Night on Bald Mountain" - Modest Mussorgsky

"You'll Never Walk Alone" - Rogers and Hammerstein

Corps Staff and Contact

mandarins.jpg Mandarins:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

pacific_crest.jpg Pacific Crest:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

phantom.jpgPhantom Regiment:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

pioneer.jpg Pioneer:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

Brass

Color Guard

Percussion

Visual

vanguard.jpgSanta Clara Vanguard:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

spirit.jpgSpirit of Atlanta:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

troopers.jpg Troopers:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

(More to come)

Thanks so much! Let the discussion begin.

Edited by Some Random Drummer

Audition for all of them if you have time, see how you do, then in the ones at which you get a callback, see which one gives you the best experience, then pick!

Although that is a lot of audition material and very different marching techniques to prepare and practice, theoretically lowering your chances for each corps at which you audition because of less time to practice the material. However, this will give you a good opportunity to see the environment at each corps and see which one you may want to fill a hole in later if you don't make any of them.

A less risky although more likely to show bias is that you might want to email the staff you will be working with at the different corps and get their teaching philosophy, values, and try and learn as much as you can about the environment that makes that individual corps unique.

Lots of corps have different media that you can watch documenting camps, etc too.

• Like 2

Audition for all of them if you have time, see how you do, then in the ones at which you get a callback, see which one gives you the best experience, then pick!

Although that is a lot of audition material and very different marching techniques to prepare and practice, theoretically lowering your chances for each corps at which you audition because of less time to practice the material. However, this will give you a good opportunity to see the environment at each corps and see which one you may want to fill a hole in later if you don't make any of them.

A less risky although more likely to show bias is that you might want to email the staff you will be working with at the different corps and get their teaching philosophy, values, and try and learn as much as you can about the environment that makes that individual corps unique.

Lots of corps have different media that you can watch documenting camps, etc too.

I guess I wasn't even really aware it was standard practice, or logistically possible, to audition for more than one corps. That would definitely make things easier to decide, even if the audition process itself becomes nightmare-ish.

I attended as many different practices during Finals Week to get an idea of how corps approached rehearsal and to try and gauge their overall philosophy toward music. As an incoming music major, I've definitely gotten the "Don't do drum corps with anyone who tells you ______" talk from my professors. And while I try to tune that out, because for the most part they have no drum corps experience and don't really appreciate the activity, I would certainly not like to go to a corps and find out that their approach to, for example, marimba technique is totally different than what I have learned and know best. The difference between Stevens and Musser grip is not to be taken lightly!

Edited by Some Random Drummer

The "personality" of the corps we chose was EXTREMELY important. Each has a different definition of success and approach to excellence that can make or break the experience. Although scores and placements were at times exhilarating, at times dissapointing, we looked for a corps that not only taught how to get to that big moment, but also how to deal with it, good or bad, with integrity and as a group for lessons that can be applied far beyond aging out. We made the right choice.

• Like 3

It seems to me that your age-out year would be 2015, so you've got some time.

If you "just want to march", go get some experience, especially as a percussionist. It's not easy to break into these programs by such talented corps with such seasoned members. That's not saying don't try, but be aware that everyone there is incredibly skilled.

Auditioning for multiple corps is a great idea if you have a grand to drop, which I'm assuming you don't... File it down to one or two; talk with people that have marched (it's not that hard, I can get you in touch with a few guys at the Cavaliers and probably a couple others here and there). Get insight. If you're not passionate about the corps (or the activity), don't do it because you probably won't make it. Pour your entire heart into what you're doing and look into yourself and see if it REALLY IS what you want. Be self-aware. Staff wants to see how hard you can try, how much heart you have, and whether you can improve from camp to camp (to name a few).

These are just my experiences. I could be wrong.

In terms of sending in a tape, just don't do it. I know plenty of folks who didn't have the money to travel or for the full audition price, and it worked out great. The audition experience is an unforgettable one. I learned more in a block than I learned in my entire musical career up to that point. I might have spent a little bit more money than I wish I would have, but it was worth it 100%.

It seems to me that your age-out year would be 2015, so you've got some time.

If you "just want to march", go get some experience, especially as a percussionist. It's not easy to break into these programs by such talented corps with such seasoned members. That's not saying don't try, but be aware that everyone there is incredibly skilled.

You are correct. I have three more years of eligibility.

Auditioning for multiple corps is a great idea if you have a grand to drop, which I'm assuming you don't... File it down to one or two; talk with people that have marched (it's not that hard, I can get you in touch with a few guys at the Cavaliers and probably a couple others here and there). Get insight. If you're not passionate about the corps (or the activity), don't do it because you probably won't make it. Pour your entire heart into what you're doing and look into yourself and see if it REALLY IS what you want. Be self-aware. Staff wants to see how hard you can try, how much heart you have, and whether you can improve from camp to camp (to name a few).

I should be clear - my indecision is not due to a lack of passion for the activity, whatsoever. Rather, I would say I want this so badly that it is difficult to choose for whom to audition! tongue.gif

So this is a very generic question, but it might aid some of the people watching this thread: If you could offer one piece of advice to rookies looking to march at the highest level, what would it be?

So this is a very generic question, but it might aid some of the people watching this thread: If you could offer one piece of advice to rookies looking to march at the highest level, what would it be?

I realize this is the World Class forum, but my advice to anyone serious about marching at the "highest level" would be to keep Open Class in mind. It is better to march anywhere than sit home and wish you were on tour. If you are cut, get some experience under your belt and then go back to your corps of choice the next season the better for it. I'm not a huge advocate of "corps climbing" but I think especially for battery in the upper echelon corps who have sometimes hundreds of audition applicants show up, having corps experience can tip the odds in your favor.

Edited by MalletMom

I realize this is the World Class forum, but my advice to anyone serious about marching at the "highest level" would be to keep Open Class in mind. It is better to march anywhere than sit home and wish you were on tour. Get some experience under your belt and then go back to your corps of choice the next season the better for it. I'm not a huge advocate of "corps climbing" but I think especially for battery in the upper echelon corps who have sometimes hundreds of audition applicants show up, having corps experience can tip the odds in your favor.

I agree 100%! Especially after what we saw at this year's Finals, with Open Class groups presenting their shows alongside World Class, there can be no doubt that Open Class corps provide just as great and life-changing an experience as any World Class corps. They're definitely worth keeping in mind. Thanks!

Also, I added dates for the Blue Devils audition weekends in November/December. As more corps post their dates, I'll update accordingly.

I collect quotes... I don't know if they are your thing, but I will offer some here for the masses. They aren't drum corps specific, but they are about achieving the most you can (which, is the same thing drum corps is about). Perhaps one or more will resonate with someone:

“Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure.”

- Thomas Edison

“If it’s to be, it’s up to me.”

- Colonel Truman Crowford

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”

-Vince Lombardi

“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.”

- Elbert Hubbard

"Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise; risking more than others think is safe; dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible."

- Anonymous

“Perform at your best when your best is required. Your best is required each day.”

- John Wooden

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal, a commitment to excellence that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”

- Mario Andretti

"Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it."

- Colin Powell

"Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration and inspiration."

- Evan Esar

“Raise your hand as high as you can. Now raise it higher. That is what’s wrong with your life!”

- George Parks

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 3