Staff changes

Meanwhile, here we sit the infamous last week of August where phones start ringing and suddenly the musical chairs game of staff changes has commenced (enter BD 09 joke now). And while other corps are completely turning over entire captions ever 2 or 3 years, the Blue Devils just sit back and laugh....all the way to their next DCI title. Yes, the others are doing it backwards.

Since 1994 The Blue Devils have finished 4th once, 3rd four times. Everything else has been 1st or 2nd. So how that compares to the corps in question in this thread is beyond me.

• Like 3

I can relate what you said about BD to other corps.. These approaches ate practiced more widely then I think you believe. Cadets won a championship last year and they can't be far off. And they almost a strong a record of being on top as BD rarely placing out of the top 5

They are still a ways away from the fullness of the track record. BD is in a league of their own statisticallty speaking..

Im just not sure placement is an indicator of the factors you mentioned.

Sorry, but I'm a firm believer in results being a factor of the process taken.

I haven't marched or taught in a corps that did not have these approaches very strongly instilled and practiced.

Have you marched or taught the Blue Devils? Maybe it's just that you don't know just how different those approaches are from everybody elses. You might think it's the same. Try visiting the Blue Devils for a week of spring training. Just watch. $100 says you will be shell shocked.

• Like 1

Do corps feel that a change in staff will automatically make them better? I imagine it would take atleast a couple years to see a dramatic change in a new staff members section....

How long does a corps like Troopers hang on with the status quo? So far, the Vis Caption and Perc Caption named in this thread have been there since the rebuild in 2007. More than a couple of years. Especially considering that they started with a clean slate.

Let me just say, though ... I don't know Kevin personally. But the kids I know that have played for him (and his staff) at Troopers do not regret it one bit.

• Like 1

Since 1994 The Blue Devils have finished 4th once, 3rd four times. Everything else has been 1st or 2nd. So how that compares to the corps in question in this thread is beyond me.

Um....yeah. That's my point. There is no comparison. I think you are responding to the wrong guy. I'm advocating BD being in a league of their own. Not sure what you thought I meant.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the Troopers website no longer lists caption heads for any caption on their website, where as recently as yesterday they were still listed.

I hear rumors that BD sleeps late a lot. I KNOW they have a relaxed retreat. What do they eat for food? Maybe everyone should do those things too.

Hey, you're starting to get it.

Let's all wear blue and black, and have our tubas wear berets. Let's put on shows that some people enjoy and #### some people off. EVERYONE BE THE SAME NOW!!!!........

And now you've lost it. Too bad. You almost had it partially figured out and then you got silly and off topic and down we fall like a kid not quite ready to ride a bike.

• Like 1

Um....yeah. That's my point. There is no comparison. I think you are responding to the wrong guy. I'm advocating BD being in a league of their own. Not sure what you thought I meant.

OK. Got it. By saying "The others are doing it backwards" it seemed as if you were saying The BD Way of staff retention would be contrary to the these corps current methods, AND the solution to these corps problems. To which my response was, BD does not have to deal with these problems (hats off to them). Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by mingusmonk

For what it's worth, the Troopers website no longer lists caption heads for any caption on their website, where as recently as yesterday they were still listed.

Newsflash! Welcome to the last week of August. Let the needless, unproductive and damaging drama of staff shake ups begin.

I'll just pop a squat here next to the Blue Devils and watch the drama unfold with a bag of popcorn in hand.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

OK. Got it. By saying "The others are doing it backwards" it seemed as if you were saying The BD Way of staff retention would be contrary to the these corps current methods, AND the solution to these corps problems. To which my response was, BD does not have to deal with these problems (hats off to them). Thanks for clarifying.

No problem. And no worries. I was definitely advocating the opposite of what you assumed. I think BD is the only corps that has certain things figured out. This conclusion.....actually a very recent light bulb for me in fact. Seen some things, reflected on some things and talked to some people this season that made me say "OMG, could it possible be THAT simple"? :lookaround:

• Like 1

Newsflash! Welcome to the last week of August. Let the needless, unproductive and damaging drama of staff shake ups begin.

I'll just pop a squat here next to the Blue Devils and watch the drama unfold with a bag of popcorn in hand.

Hey I'm right there with ya. Would you mind passing over a blue solo cup? :tongue:

• Like 1