Staff changes

In regards to the BD successes, I really think (this is just my speculation) that it goes beyond the "A" corps staff. Blue Devils have created a massive organization, by drum corps standards, and they use it to their full advantage. Starting with the "C" corps, they breed their own talent, and do so in a manner that keeps the members interested and willing to stay. This way, by the time the members are of age and talent level for the "A" corps, they already have a thorough understanding of what it takes to be a quality member of the top organization, because they've grown in to it. It's genius, really. Start them young, and keep them interested. Does anyone know the percentage of members of the "A" corps that marched in a lower class group of the same organization beforehand?

Just so no one misinterprets, my comments are of the utmost praise of the Blue Devils' organization. I think they have it figured out, and they have it figured out well.

Edited by acolli17

When you look at a company, school, university,drum corps, any organization...............the overall image of that organization, is and always will be a direct result of the most senior manager/owner/ceo.

• Like 1

In regards to the BD successes, I really think (this is just my speculation) that it goes beyond the "A" corps staff. Blue Devils have created a massive organization, by drum corps standards, and they use it to their full advantage. Starting with the "C" corps, they breed their own talent, and do so in a manner that keeps the members interested and willing to stay. This way, by the time the members are of age and talent level for the "A" corps, they already have a thorough understanding of what it takes to be a quality member of the top organization, because they've grown in to it. It's genius, really. Start them young, and keep them interested. Does anyone know the percentage of members of the "A" corps that marched in a lower class group of the same organization beforehand?

Just so no one misinterprets, my comments are of the utmost praise of the Blue Devils' organization. I think they have it figured out, and they have it figured out well.

No disagreement here. The organization is a monster. And of course, some of what you wrote is the "not as simple" part of it and that is an element that is pretty difficult for anyone to match. However, I do also think that those elements are only part of it. SCV has a very similar organization and business model and they have been having some major struggles with staff fluctuation. Put two and two together, and I think you see a big reason why they have not won since 1999. Again, there are some things BD does that are so simple such as scheduling enough down and off time, treating their members right and treating their staff right that if more corps would follow their example, I believe with everything in me that they would have better results.

Here, let me draw you a picture using smilies......

This is all corps besides BD: :wall: (beating themselves into a bloody mess trying to get through a wall when there is a door not far away)

This is BD on the other side of that wall: :bleah::beer::laughing::dancin::muahaha::guinesssmilie:

Any questions?

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 4

No disagreement here. The organization is a monster. And of course, some of what you wrote is the "not as simple" part of it and that is an element that is pretty difficult for anyone to match. However, I do also think that those elements are only part of it. SCV has a very similar organization and business model and they have been having some major struggles with staff fluctuation. Put two and two together, and I think you see a big reason why they have not won since 1999. Again, there are some things BD does that are so simple such as scheduling enough down and off time, treating their members right and treating their staff right that if more corps would follow their example, I believe with everything in me that they would have better results.

This is all corps besides BD: :wall: (beating themselves into a bloody mess trying to get through a wall when there is a door not far away)

This is BD on the other side of that wall: :bleah::beer::laughing::dancin::muahaha::guinesssmilie:

Any questions?

I guess I entered the Blue Devils for president site. I agree they are consistent and successful. They have the money to attract the best and the brightest and treat them well even to how they are transported. Let's be realistic with other groups. Change is not always good but it is not always bad. Since Troopers are the 2nd biggest topic on this section, they started well and then left the path they were heading. (speaking about the last 5 or so years) I have been told some of the people responsible for the initial re-birth were forced out by some of the people that are now apparently leaving. Sometimes you need to change and keep changing until you get it right. 5 to 6 years is certainly a fair amount of times to try someone.

The people not in the top 3 area are always going to have to try ways to tweak things. I believe it is more approach than specific people. You need to consider that doing the same thing and expecting different results is a indication of insantity! It applies in both a good and bad way

• Like 1

This is patently, false. They are leaving on their own accord.

Like in the business world, they may have been told they would not be retained, so leaving "on their own accord" makes it easier to catch on with another corps and the Troopers to bring in new staff.

Any questions?

I mean I agree with you, I never said it wasn't that...

Newsflash! Welcome to the last week of August. Let the needless, unproductive and damaging drama of staff shake ups begin.

I'll just pop a squat here next to the Blue Devils and watch the drama unfold with a bag of popcorn in hand.

I'm afraid I have to agree.

I think SCV is a good example to cite... I've heard rumors of what their BOD does when a caption head doesn't win, but even if that's not true, they've been through 4 brass caption heads in the time that just I marched. What does that get them? Nowhere. The talent and design will keep them in finals, of course, but the constant switching of staff just doesn't do it.

It's why I'm sad that Troop's staff is gone. Design wise, 2012 might not have been the best, but they still performed the **** out of it.

To tie the "BD wins it all" talk back in to the topic at hand, I think what we're all trying to say is that the Blue Devils have a very unique, and effective way of creating a successful program. In the documentary about the 07 Troopers, you can see Fred Morris say "you can't run these things from the kitchen table anymore. Every corps out there is a business" (I paraphrase).

And shouldn't we also talk about the money aspect? The Yankees (usually) do well (and a lot of people dislike them), because they have so much money. They use that money to buy the team they think is going to win. Just like paying the best staff an organization can afford, it's finding the most expensive puzzle pieces to make the best overall picture. The Blue Devils can afford the best staff because their organization is so large. And just look at Star of Indiana.

I'm not saying that corps buy wins. But you can't deny that it plays a defining factor, right?

To tie the "BD wins it all" talk back in to the topic at hand, I think what we're all trying to say is that the Blue Devils have a very unique, and effective way of creating a successful program. In the documentary about the 07 Troopers, you can see Fred Morris say "you can't run these things from the kitchen table anymore. Every corps out there is a business" (I paraphrase).

And shouldn't we also talk about the money aspect? The Yankees (usually) do well (and a lot of people dislike them), because they have so much money. They use that money to buy the team they think is going to win. Just like paying the best staff an organization can afford, it's finding the most expensive puzzle pieces to make the best overall picture. The Blue Devils can afford the best staff because their organization is so large. And just look at Star of Indiana.

I'm not saying that corps buy wins. But you can't deny that it plays a defining factor, right?

Money doesn't buy wins but it does by talent... Lakers, Yankees, Patriots, Etc.