Staff changes

So DCI is only about winning? Got it.... :thumbdown: Guess I wasted my time then showing up in St. Louis those years my corps didn't win, even though we were a crowd favorite. Oh, darn. Good thing I didn't waste my time this year since we didn't win.

Agreed. There are so many ignorant ideas on this forum

Maybe time for you to re-evaluate your priorities about drum corps and the music world, if you think it's all about just ending up on top.

Edited by the lone ranger

Here is the link to the announcement (they also have a big graphic on the home page): Trooper Announcement

"Breathe dah" may be heard at a Troopers rehearsal again, I think.

"Breathe dah" may be heard at a Troopers rehearsal again, I think.

*breathe* dAAh *breathe* dAAh *breathe* (repeat until you die)

• Like 1

Technically...I don't think "breathe dAAh" ever left Troopers. Pretty sure that was the concept even in 2008.

• Like 3

Many groups have some amount from year to year. Things happen; my old caption head stopped caption-heading because his wife had a child, and he needs to be at home.

Complete overhauls are not super common, but they do happen. Sometimes, though, a complete change in staff does not bode ill; if the technique stays the same, but the staff changes, it can be good.

I agree that it can be good but personally seeing staff change in one season, it almost destroyed a corps. Philosophies have to line up - SIMPLE. I respected both staffs but their polar opposite ideals put the members through hell. We changed complete brass and visual in one year but the director remained the same. The director had power conflicts with the new philosophoes. Out of the conflict, we did make finals but it was a strain on the members.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but in reading up on Donnie, I found an article in DCW with this interesting quote from 2 years ago. This kind of philosophy gets me excited about the 2013 Troopers.

Steve Vickers:There has been a lot of discussion in the last two months about the future direction of our activity. What kinds of things do you think we need to focus on as we move forward?

Donnie VanDoren: Well, if you are referring to the controversy surrounding the G7 proposal, I really haven’t had an opportunity to hear from both sides and understand the dynamics of it all.

What I do know is the following: In order to ensure continued growth of audiences to support the activity, we need to have more accessible, audience-friendly product on the field. I would be willing to bet if each design team did a marketing focus group on their music and creative design concepts, the end product would be quite different than most shows out there today.

I think the activity has to get back to good, accessible, even familiar music. In my opinion, shows should be driven by the music, first and foremost.

• Like 2

I don't want to hijack this thread, but in reading up on Donnie, I found an article in DCW with this interesting quote from 2 years ago. This kind of philosophy gets me excited about the 2013 Troopers.

Dear God, let's hope that happens.

• Like 1

I'll say this: Crown's musical programming the last several seasons seems to be pretty great at riding the fine line between judge friendly & audience friendly. That type of programming is so difficult to master, and if VanDoren can bring that type of awesome programming to more corps, we'll ALL benefit!

• Like 1

I think if you look at the corps he's been involved with the last few years, he's achieved exactly what he talks about there.

So I'm putting in my vote for Ghost Riders, unabridged.