A plea to *insert corps name here*

Just read in the paper about the anniversary of the premier of John Cage's 4'33" on 8/29/1952.

Was wondering why no Corps has tackled this piece?

indeterminacy by john cage might be a better fit as an intro to Cage. 4'33" of the sound of the audience and a corps moving would go over like a sack of rocks. Indeterminacy could be used as filler. Winter Music by Cage might haves some parts that would transfer to brass.

If you are interested in Cage, find one of his scores and figure it out. Fun stuff. PM me if you are interested in a listening list, I happen to own his entire music library and written works.

Cage is more DaDa than BD even tried to be. But knowing that Marcel Duchamp and Cage were chess buddies explains those connections.

• Like 1

Just read in the paper about the anniversary of the premier of John Cage's 4'33" on 8/29/1952.

Was wondering why no Corps has tackled this piece?

Also brings up another quetion... Can corps use an amplified cacti played with a feather as part of a show? Or just Altered instruments like Cage altered everything (mainly piano)

indeterminacy by john cage might be a better fit as an intro to Cage. 4'33" of the sound of the audience and a corps moving would go over like a sack of rocks. Indeterminacy could be used as filler. Winter Music by Cage might haves some parts that would transfer to brass.

If you are interested in Cage, find one of his scores and figure it out. Fun stuff. PM me if you are interested in a listening list, I happen to own his entire music library and written works.

Cage is more DaDa than BD even tried to be. But knowing that Marcel Duchamp and Cage were chess buddies explains those connections.

Kevin -- You take me way too seriously! :tongue:

I actually thought (for a fleeting second) about BD when I posted that, but I think a lot of folks would like to have BD go back to more pure jazz type shows that a DaDa reprise.

Didn't know that about Duchamp and Cage. Interesting!

Thanks!

Kevin -- You take me way too seriously! :tongue:

I actually thought (for a fleeting second) about BD when I posted that, but I think a lot of folks would like to have BD go back to more pure jazz type shows that a DaDa reprise.

Didn't know that about Duchamp and Cage. Interesting!

Thanks!

I am one of those people that would like to hear Jazz from BD again... but on the other hand, I have accepted that corps will end up trying some of this experimental. I would have no problem watch 4'33" of drill but make sure the drum majors are not conducting and the drill better freakin' rock. Schoenberg 12 tone is another direction for corps to explore.

Back to John Cage. His writings and theories on music are amazing. I read most of the books before really jumping in with both feet into the music. So, I have a deeper appreciation of where it is coming from. Cage was also a serious Mycologist and helped found a Mushroom society. I think he even has a mushroom named after him. He was around all the New York "Pop" artist as well - Robert Rauchenberg, Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein, Merce Cunningham. Interesting character. Also in another direction, He also studied at Black Mountain College in NC...

Some of the scores by John Cage:

diagram_JohnCageScore-3.jpg

order_cage_fontana_mix.jpg

cage_fontana1304775360429.png

Edited by Kevin Powell

BD - Music of Stan Kenton - Wagon & Artisty in Percussion, but, do not "chop shop" it or I will have to "bag" on you.

Crown - Might be time to re-visit Jekyl & Hyde.

PR - again, Alpine Symphony - Richard Wagner

Cadets - Re-gifted (Music from their championship shows)

SCV - Liked what you did in 2005 with the symphony #12 from Shostakovich, use it for the whole show, #10 & 11 are good too.

Bluecoats - If BD doesn't do what I suggested, feel free to take that idea.

Boston - Music from Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri

Cavaliers - Music from The Summer of '42 - including - The Entrance to Reality, Awakening Awareness, etc

Edited by Rocketman

I am one of those people that would like to hear Jazz from BD again... but on the other hand, I have accepted that corps will end up trying some of this experimental. I would have no problem watch 4'33" of drill but make sure the drum majors are not conducting and the drill better freakin' rock. Schoenberg 12 tone is another direction for corps to explore.

Back to John Cage. His writings and theories on music are amazing. I read most of the books before really jumping in with both feet into the music. So, I have a deeper appreciation of where it is coming from. Cage was also a serious Mycologist and helped found a Mushroom society. I think he even has a mushroom named after him. He was around all the New York "Pop" artist as well - Robert Rauchenberg, Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein, Merce Cunningham. Interesting character. Also in another direction, He also studied at Black Mountain College in NC...

Some of the scores by John Cage:

diagram_JohnCageScore-3.jpg

order_cage_fontana_mix.jpg

cage_fontana1304775360429.png

Now you've done it! Somebody might try to march those last 2 as drills. :tongue:

Thanks for the informative post!

Black Mountain College, NC: Off of I-40? If so, driven by there about a hundred times.

Now you've done it! Somebody might try to march those last 2 as drills. :tongue:

Thanks for the informative post!

Black Mountain College, NC: Off of I-40? If so, driven by there about a hundred times.

it would be easier to march a John Cage score as sets than play it. As randon as it all sounds... he was extremely particular about his madness.

No other artist has influenced my philosophy on hearing and SEEing the way he has. One simple quote says it all: "There is music all around us only if you have the ears to hear it." I use this daily with my visual art as well. It gives even the simple little things meaning and beauty.

Does it belong in drum corps? nope... we are not ready.

it would be easier to march a John Cage score as sets than play it. As randon as it all sounds... he was extremely particular about his madness.

No other artist has influenced my philosophy on hearing and SEEing the way he has. One simple quote says it all: "There is music all around us only if you have the ears to hear it." I use this daily with my visual art as well. It gives even the simple little things meaning and beauty.

Does it belong in drum corps? nope... we are not ready.

Agreed.