A plea to *insert corps name here*

IMO, current pop music is undeserving of the talent and quality of Drum Corps efforts.

Having said that, I do think there is some very good modern non-pop music out there that would be fine.

I don't know, I agree that much of what is labeled "pop" these days isn't suited for drum corps, but groups like Radiohead, Muse, Arcade Fire, and Vampire Weekend, just to name a few, have some very unique and powerful music that could be arranged very creatively for this idiom.

Oh yeah, and The Decemberists.

*edited to add The Decemberists

Edited by Cron
  • Like 1

Though, the music is so familiar to me, I have to admit, now I'm not really sure that I've never heard a drum corps version of it.

"DRUM CORPSE PHAN", the tour shirts could say. With art lifted from Hieronymous Bosch.

Edited by newdaddy

Idea for a ballad: Ave Maria from Verdi's Quattro Pezzi Sacri. It's written on the 'enigmatic scale' and so is harmonically very rich. And it has an interesting backstory, sort of (Verdi wrote a piece in this scale in order to win a bet, essentially.) I have no idea how you compress it into a couple of minutes though.

Carolina Crown: The Rite of Spring.

That is the PERFECT piece for Crown to tackle in the very near future. I know, I know, Academy did it this year, but they also cut out most of the meat from the original orchestral score...imagine the insane things the Crown Brass could do with that source music, as well as the possibilities of color that the colorguard could explore (something that guard has been needing...color), and the interpretation of the percussion parts that Thom Hannum would bring. Gives me cold chills just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown: The Rite of Spring.

That is the PERFECT piece for Crown to tackle in the very near future. I know, I know, Academy did it this year, but they also cut out most of the meat from the original orchestral score...imagine the insane things the Crown Brass could do with that source music, as well as the possibilities of color that the colorguard could explore (something that guard has been needing...color), and the interpretation of the percussion parts that Thom Hannum would bring. Gives me cold chills just thinking about it.

The one piece I would love to see done well and given true justice. Rite of Spring was a reason I marched SoA in 89. It was talked about following Petrushka.