Blue Devils

It's no secret that I've never been a rabid BD fan, but I have to praise their accomplishments. They've won more titles than my FOUR favorite corps (and one of those has won 10x). Even in their "drought years" (1988-1993 w/ no championship), they won 3 horn and 2 guard trophies.

Think about this: we just completed the 2012 season. Since 1976, BD has failed to win a caption award only THREE times: 1987, 1989, 2005. That is amazing. They're doing something right. worthy.gif

• Like 1

It's no secret that I've never been a rabid BD fan, but I have to praise their accomplishments. They've won more titles than my FOUR favorite corps (and one of those has won 10x). Even in their "drought years" (1988-1993 w/ no championship), they won 3 horn and 2 guard trophies.

Think about this: we just completed the 2012 season. Since 1976, BD has failed to win a caption award only THREE times: 1987, 1989, 2005. That is amazing. They're doing something right. worthy.gif

Want some other mind-blowing stats?

Over the past 20 YEARS the Blue Devils average Finals score is 97.679.

Over the past 20 years, the Blue Devils have beaten their average score twelve times (94, 97-99, 03, 04, 07-12).

Over the past 20 years, all the other corps in DCI COMBINED have beaten the Blue Devils' average score only twelve times. (Cavaliers 5 times: 95, 01, 02, 04, 10; Cadets 4 times: 94, 98, 05, 11; Vanguard twice: 98, 99; Phantom once: 08.)

• Like 2

In the last 37 years, the Blue Devils have finished out of the top 4 at Finals only once and that was a 5th place finish ( by 6 tenths ) in 1991. So even the very rare Blue Devils down years are very good years by most objective non BD standards. When it comes to DCI excellence in competition, no Corps comes anywhere close to this level of competitive success for such a long timeframe. Like their show or don't like their show, when it comes to winning Championships or when not doing so, finishing highly, the Blue Devils stand head and shoulders over every other Corps...... and have since since the inception of DCI itself over 35 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Them's ma boys!!!! :bluedevil:

Man, who comes up with these stats? :w00t: So further upstream it was revealed to us, 97.679 is the Blue Devils Historical Average. Did you remember the score of your 1984 year, 97.9? You helped set the bar all the whippersnappers had to live up to, Sam.

Not bad, not bad at all. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

Looking back, I find the "rise" amazing. First year with bugles, 71, 73 - 23rd, 74 - 9th, 75 - 3rd, 76 - 1st.

Kudos to Scott and the line - very impressive difficulty and execution.

Man, who comes up with these stats?

Stats are my life (I'm a controller, professionally). Plus I seem to have the Rainman-esque ability to look at a screen-full of numbers and see patterns and trends. :cool:

Stats are my life (I'm a controller, professionally). Plus I seem to have the Rainman-esque ability to look at a screen-full of numbers and see patterns and trends. :cool:

You Sir....are a "Steely Eyed Missile Man"....and a DCP treasure!

• Like 1

Want some other mind-blowing stats?

2005: Only time in the past ten years the Blue Devils have finished more than a point out of 1st.

The Three Dynasties of DCI's Modern Era:

Garfield Cadets - 1983-1988: four titles in six years, average score 96.733, average margin of victory -0.300

The Cavaliers - 2000-2005: four titles in six years, average score 98.122, average margin of victory -0.050

Blue Devils - 2007-2012: four titles in six years, average score 98.425, average margin of victory +0.692

Number of times Blue Devils have scored 98.70 or above at Finals in past four years: 3 (09, 10, 12)

Number of times everyone else in DCI has scored 98.70 or above at Finals in past TWENTY years: 3 (Cavs 02, 04; Cadets 05)

• Like 2