Janina Gavankar

I have to admit that I never heard of Janina Gavankar before but when DCI said she was on "True Blood" it piqued my interested and I googled her. Wow, I didn't realize her already successful Hollywood career and most importantly, her ties to Phantom Regiment (albeit for a very short time)!

There were some (maybe two?) negative comments about her seemingly fake enthusiasm, but I personally think this was nice little move for DCI. She was tweeting updates to her 82,032 followers about each finalist's show in a way only a true drum corps fan could – and I'm sure most of those followers know nothing about drum corps. Well, they do now!

Sure, it's a little bit of cross promotion gathering new fans for her, but in the end, we also have someone who's climbing the ranks of Hollywood and not afraid to geek out for drum corps. And to that I say, thanks Janina! To me, that's the magic of drum corps. I'm no Hollywood star, but I've been away from the activity for a few years and will never forget the amazing shows I witnessed or the amazing people I marched with.

Now that the offseason is here, I really hope we can all spread the word of Drum Corps to newbies. Let's pack the stands in 2013. I have a feeling it will be a memorable season!

Edited by iCanHazDcp

I saw Phantom's posting about her on Facebook before she was introduced during the semi-finals broadcast. I looked her up on IMBD and saw that she has done a lot more than True Blood.

I saw the reaction to her on DCP during the broadcast. I think admin Geoff spoke about it the best in his reply but I won't go into it....

Next time there are any posts about the rumour that Madonna is a Bridgemen alum, I hope some people remember those who have recently had exposure to the activity and who "gush" about it.....people who just might have an attentive fan base.

Edited by LincolnV

My only complaint was she came dressed as Beetlejuice...

• Like 1

SHIVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She made it a point to tweet and use her personal Facebook to talk about the activity this past week . . .which is pretty cool.

More exposure is always a good thing. :cool:

Check out her website's home page. Lots of DCI references and pics.

Janina is legit.

I've been one of her Twitter followers for a long time, and she's talked about drum corps before. When she teased about going to DCI a few days ago, we ended up having a short but cool conversation about it. She is one Hollywood star that understands fan interaction and social media.

And she's a pretty darned good marimba player to boot.

DCI needs more of her, and more like her.

• Like 1

Janina is legit.

I've been one of her Twitter followers for a long time, and she's talked about drum corps before. When she teased about going to DCI a few days ago, we ended up having a short but cool conversation about it. She is one Hollywood star that understands fan interaction and social media.

And she's a pretty darned good marimba player to boot.

DCI needs more of her, and more like her.

Totally agree about fan interaction and social media - it can help launch the career of someone for the cost of nothing. I hope DCI continues to invite her to finals - maybe at one point she can convince one of her True Blood costars to come see the show with her. :tongue: