Bluecoats marching technique

people make fun of you at the mall.

It takes about 4 months to stop doing it full time.

Ask Lee Falvey. He wrote it.

The students seemed to like it, from the conversations I overheard.

Sounds like something Lee would do.

My criticism of the style is that their heels were coming far too high off the ground for that type of technique.

I figured it was the call of the visual caption head and influenced by his indoor success.

The toe down marching is very influenced by dance movements, such as a tondu forwards in learning forwards marching and backwards for the backwards technique. For the forwards technique, for steps 8 to 5 or larger, they marched with turnout in their legs and the heel came all the way to the ground in taking these steps. If steps were smaller than an 8 to 5, they marched with feet in parallel, like a backwards march, without their heels coming down, with a similar legstroke to that of a backwards march, with toes coming slightly off the ground and replaced for each step. The backwards technique was just like that of most other corps, straight legs with steps being on the full platform of the foot without rolling down on the heel and maintaining elevation.

For me personally, I noticed the Bluecoats not having any issue at all with having feet in the sound early in the season like some corps did. This technique grew on me as the season progressed, and I'm excited to see how well they can develop it in the future years, because it does seem to be quite successful, judging by how they had come out and had some really good visual proficiency scores at certain shows throughout the year, even beating corps like Phantom and the Cadets at the Massillon show.

• Like 6

I just wonder where the & counts are in the marching style?

The toe down marching is very influenced by dance movements, such as a tondu forwards in learning forwards marching and backwards for the backwards technique. For the forwards technique, for steps 8 to 5 or larger, they marched with turnout in their legs and the heel came all the way to the ground in taking these steps. If steps were smaller than an 8 to 5, they marched with feet in parallel, like a backwards march, without their heels coming down, with a similar legstroke to that of a backwards march, with toes coming slightly off the ground and replaced for each step. The backwards technique was just like that of most other corps, straight legs with steps being on the full platform of the foot without rolling down on the heel and maintaining elevation.

For me personally, I noticed the Bluecoats not having any issue at all with having feet in the sound early in the season like some corps did. This technique grew on me as the season progressed, and I'm excited to see how well they can develop it in the future years, because it does seem to be quite successful, judging by how they had come out and had some really good visual proficiency scores at certain shows throughout the year, even beating corps like Phantom and the Cadets at the Massillon show.

awesome! thanks for the insight! :worthy:

As someone who was taught "the higher the toes, the better", I absolutely hated it. I get why they're doing it though. Since half the show is toe-lead jazz running anyway, it's more uniform to utilize a toe-first technique in the slower tempos & smaller step sizes too.

Some benefits I see:

- the articulation of the beat occurs on the same part of the foot with every step

- the legs have a consistent look traveling both forward backward, and one that should appear more lifted/extended

- it would be difficult to perform with your weight anywhere else but centered

- fewer female hip injuries because of how the leg is accepting the weight

- less feet in the sound

- it gave them a new look that separated them from other corps

- transitions more fluidly to dance choreography

It fits, too, with the current trends in running and physical therapy research; the Vibram FiveFingers and other barefoot sport shoes, for instance, that encourage a platform running style. That said, I'm sure it has its disadvantages as well, but I applaud their decision to try something new.

• Like 2