Bluecoats marching technique

Why don't people (other than runway models in high heels) walk around toe-first during the course of their daily activities? Not trying to stir the pot, but to me it looked awkward and distracting.

If everyone walked around that way and then that was the Bluecoats technique, would they not be a "walking band"?

Dare I also get philosophical and say that if the Bluecoats moved like everyone walked, would they then be criticized by the judging community for walking around the field?

Ok, its been a long day at work and my brain is about to explode. I'm done being a pontificating for the night.

You say "let's face it" as though it is universally acknowledged that it's easier/more natural to move toe-first. Is there any kind of evidence to support this? Why don't people (other than runway models in high heels) walk around toe-first during the course of their daily activities? Not trying to stir the pot, but to me it looked awkward and distracting.

Peace,

Fred O.

You and I are on opposite end of the poles. A small favour please; wear high heels for a week; then march one hour per day for a week with flat shoes :D

If everyone walked around that way and then that was the Bluecoats technique, would they not be a "walking band"?

Dare I also get philosophical and say that if the Bluecoats moved like everyone walked, would they then be criticized by the judging community for walking around the field?

And if you answer a question by asking another question (or two), is it really an answer? We still haven't determined whether toe first is more natural than heel first - or is that a non-issue because everyone knows it to be fact (according to azul's post, anyway)?

all in the spirit of lively debate, no personal disrespect intended :)

Fred O.

This is an interesting discussion. "Natural" is in the foot of the beholder, so to speak. Humans have several ambulation techniques, adapted for disctete purposes. For moving stealthily, backwards or running, for instance, ball first is ideal.

Given that there is less generic forward "walking"" in a drum corps show than before, a different technique might serve well.

In 1968, Sunrisers drill instructor Ralph Shur taught this technique by placing hundreds of tape strips on the armory floor and devoting long hours to acclimating the corps to the style and length of stride. Their goal was to win American Legion Nationals. They did.

I expect the Bluecoats have a similar thing in mind.

Edited by ironlips

Some benefits I see:

- the articulation of the beat occurs on the same part of the foot with every step

- the legs have a consistent look traveling both forward backward, and one that should appear more lifted/extended

- it would be difficult to perform with your weight anywhere else but centered

- fewer female hip injuries because of how the leg is accepting the weight

- less feet in the sound

- it gave them a new look that separated them from other corps

- transitions more fluidly to dance choreography

It fits, too, with the current trends in running and physical therapy research; the Vibram FiveFingers and other barefoot sport shoes, for instance, that encourage a platform running style. That said, I'm sure it has its disadvantages as well, but I applaud their decision to try something new.

Great post. From someone who was there: what he said. In addition, I find it makes a nice line from the toe straight through to the hip on the downbeats especially greater than 8-5 step sizes.

In 1968, Sunrisers drill instructor Ralph Shur taught this technique by placing hundreds of tape strips on the armory floor and devoting long hours to acclimating the corps to the style and length of stride.

The powers-that-be let the Sunrisers put tape all over their armory floor and leave it there for an indefinite period of time? I find that more difficult to believe than any part of all this heel/toe business. I can recall being chastised by some lieutenant because our equipment truck was too close to the C.O.'s parking space.

:rolleyes:

Fred O.

If you're walking it isn't natural. If you're running it's natural for most.

In either case, if you spend inordinate amounts of time teaching someone something, then you are not, by definition, teaching them somethinng that comes naturally. Natural things usually come to someone naturally.

Having said that, I don't think bloo uses this style because it is natural, although they might use that term in describing it. Instead, it provides a platform for uniformity, style and identity.

How boring would drum corps be if everyone just did what comes naturally?

The powers-that-be let the Sunrisers put tape all over their armory floor and leave it there for an indefinite period of time? I find that more difficult to believe than any part of all this heel/toe business. I can recall being chastised by some lieutenant because our equipment truck was too close to the C.O.'s parking space.

:rolleyes:

Fred O.

We had an advantage in that a dozen or so of us were in the National Guard at the time and our First Sargeant obtained the necessary clearance.

In return, we thoroughly policed the area after each rehearsal and formed our own Co. C 142nd Armored Division Drum and Bugle Corps which served ceremonial duty at NG functions. In that context, our marching technique was straight out of the FM 22-5.

You say "let's face it" as though it is universally acknowledged that it's easier/more natural to move toe-first. Is there any kind of evidence to support this? Why don't people (other than runway models in high heels) walk around toe-first during the course of their daily activities? Not trying to stir the pot, but to me it looked awkward and distracting.

Peace,

Fred O.

I must admit that I have walked "toe first" around my house on occasion. It is in order to reduce the amount of squeaks and creaks from the floor boards. It tends to work. Walking barefoot in the house tends to be very noisy if you have hardwood floors.

I also tried walking around at work "toe first". This was very weird to me. It didn't feel natural at all but then again, I have always walked around heel-toe while wearing shoes.